Job Interviews: Do you Mention Deafness?

Honesty is the best policy but reserve it for the interview.

I disagree. It show intelligence.

If the OP needs an interpreter for the interview, that is a whole other issue.

Most companies don't give a shit whether you know ASL or not. They are looking for someone who HAVE experience with previous job that fits their needs. That's what resume is for. OP is applying for IT job and he should be putting something he have experience or knowledge of IT stuffs.

For more depth information should hold till interview.

Today's job applying process is much different, they weed out any less experience applicants and invites applicants that have closest or matched experience they needed to job interview.

Isn't there are "employment interview"-which one talks and responds? How one's reacts would seem to indicate-some level of "hearing"?
Is the employment world "different" now?

Q Will you need us to make any accommodations in order for you to do your job?

A I am able to perform all functions of the job as you described it.

The ADA prohibits the employer from asking this question, even if he asks it of all applicants.

Never Say: “Yes, I will.” The applicant doesn't have to answer this question. If she chooses to, the employer can't decide not to hire her because of her answer, unless the accommodations she needs will cause the employer undue hardship.

Fact
The ADA prohibits an employer from asking about the nature of an applicant's disability. It does allow an employer to inquire about a candidate's ability to perform a job-related task and, in some cases, may even ask the applicant to demonstrate how she will perform that task.

Questions and Answers - Practice Interview

Last edited:
Agreed. With my current job I made a point of saying that my hearing was poor at the interview - I think the Manager decided he was going to hire me anyway as I was working for their main competitor.
He has spoken to me a couple of times since then about how I'm going regarding getting my hearing aids, although he does know I have to save up for them (and with a Mortgage to pay as well, it isn't easy!), although I get the feeling that if it was a real issue, the Health & Safety Officer would have spoken to me about it before now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most companies don't give a shit whether you know ASL or not. They are looking for someone who HAVE experience with previous job that fits their needs. That's what resume is for. OP is applying for IT job and he should be putting something he have experience or knowledge of IT stuffs.

For more depth information should hold till interview.

Today's job applying process is much different, they weed out any less experience applicants and invites applicants that have closest or matched experience they needed to job interview.

Of course, the OP needs to show experience for the job. I'm not saying what you should not put down your qualifications for any specific position. I'm saying that in INTEREST and OTHER putting down ASL will not hurt you in a job interview. In fact, there may be employers looking for people who know ASL. To my knowledge, it hasn't hurt anyone.

I usually save that part about being deaf/hard of hearing until they ask at the end of the interview " Is there anything else we should know about you, " for me, lots of therapy in speech so I sound " Normal voice " unless my hearing aid is switched off. they always say oh ____ (fill in the blank) did we speak loud enough for you? I said back I was lip reading *giggles* happens every time. But its diff for everyone I'm guessing.

Depends, if the position has to do with Deaf, then yeah while others no. For instance apply for supervision position at Deaf school, then it shouldn't be an issue, you know?

Back