Is it stupid of me to go to a deaf meet with only limited ASL?

natty_4ever

Reaction score
I really want to practice and learn more ASL. I only have a very basic knowledge, and I am slowly becoming profoundly deaf, so I definitely need to learn. I would also like to meet other people like me, as I have only met one other HOH person in my life, no deaf/Deaf, just a girl with a mild/moderate loss. Would it be dumb of me to just go to a deaf coffee chat, with such a communication barrier? I don't know if they all sign or if some are oral deaf.

I really want to practice and learn more ASL. I only have a very basic knowledge, and I am slowly becoming profoundly deaf, so I definitely need to learn. I would also like to meet other people like me, as I have only met one other HOH person in my life, no deaf/Deaf, just a girl with a mild/moderate loss. Would it be dumb of me to just go to a deaf coffee chat, with such a communication barrier? I don't know if they all sign or if some are oral deaf.

it never dumb to meet people who have same problem with communication barrier with hearing people. but go to deaf coffee chat is best place for ASL people to experinced social deaf/ hoh/ oral/ deaf and blind. should be interesting. deaf people is open mind.

just in my options. since i m deaf. i not afraid social hearing world that i cant speak or read lip but i give myself challage try to commucation. now 10 years later after social hearing people. so most of them has taugh me how to read lip or talk with important phase like "where is bathroom?" with my deaf voice lol.

Not at all, GO and inhale ASL.

It may be a little tough for you if you are just losing your hearing. I have a feeling everyone else will sign. But you can surely try it once and it may go well. You might pick something up.

Not a problem going....what you have going for you is that you are deaf or going deaf so you will be embraced.

Well, I'm severely HOH and have issues understanding speech right now, and I have only a little to lose before I enter the profound limits, so I do consider myself oral deaf. But right now I'm trying to learn more ASL and learn more about Deaf culture to smooth out my transition I suppose.

I have heard that immersing yourself into the deaf culture is the best way to learn ASL. It might be overwhelming at first, but you'll get into it, I think.

well - my first few deaf events... I went without knowing any ASL at all. not even alphabet. took classes.... learned some more.... and I still continue to attend more events. At every DPHH - there are some people who have a very limited ASL skill.... they're mostly hearing students interested in learning ASL or are required to attend it as part of course requirement.

so don't feel embarrassed but it might make your experience better if you have a deaf friend to go with. :cool2:

It would be dumb not to go. Everyone has to start somewhere. I bet there are people at the event who will be happy to go slow for you and get you started.

It's not dumb or stupid to attend a deaf social when you're learning ASL. That's part of the reason for these socials... not only for deaf people to socialize, but for other people to socialize with deaf people in any way possible.

I've met some deaf people at deaf coffee socials that didn't even know sign language. They had recently moved into the area and wanted to check out the deaf population. Within a few months, they were able to form understandable sentences. ;)

If you meet someone who doesn't have patience to communicate with you, move on to someone else. :)

How will I take pictures and sign at the same time?! :p I believe the meet is next week.

Go! Go! Personally I'd be tempted to bring a paper and pen so that you can explain to people that you are going deaf and only beginning to learn asl... maybe that is rude? I don't know, i've never been to any deaf events unfortunately. :( I'm sure someone will correct me if a paper and pen at a deaf social is a 'no-no'.
*EQL*

I am a beginning signer but have been involved in Deaf community here and there and have been to Deaf socials by myself. Just go, do your best. I have found that those who are ASL supporters, regardless of hearing status, are very welcomed.

Go! Go! Personally I'd be tempted to bring a paper and pen so that you can explain to people that you are going deaf and only beginning to learn asl... maybe that is rude? I don't know, i've never been to any deaf events unfortunately. :( I'm sure someone will correct me if a paper and pen at a deaf social is a 'no-no'.
*EQL*

no not rude at all. use your cellphone to type it out. it's green-friendly. don't kill the trees :)

Back