Is coda really cool ?

radioman

Premium Member
Reaction score
all of my kids are coda's . my oldest is going to college for becoming a terp. however this presented a situation that i am not sure how to feel about. he been to couple colleges now and all of his asl classmates thinks he so cool since he is the only student with deaf parents.

i'm sorry --cool? is this cool or should i be offended ? lol . what do you guys say???

From a hearing perspective I get Why they would say that, the ones that want to learn ASL hopefully appreciate the culture and support the same values. So a student in class who they can ask questions and who has experience within the culture, makes sense that they would think, Cool !

I agree with Mieke. It is no different than any other skill that somoene aspires to have. For example, if someone dreams of becoming a farmer, there is an admiration for those that were raised in farming families where they acquired knowledge by experience without any special effort.

Awti (CODA) has some interesting YouTube videos. Some are about his CODA experience. In one topic he talked about CODA bullying where he said that in Elementary school as a CODA he was bullied by his hearing peers for being different. By middle school, when other students find out he had Deaf parents they found it cool and wanted to learn sign. He has found this to be common when he chats with other CODAs.

My guess is with middle school/high school students it is a desire to learn a "secret language". By college there is a greater appreciation for the culture and Deaf people as a whole.

I went to high school with a coda and everyone asked her to sign or to introduce them to her parents. She just wanted to be 'normal' and have a voice at school but people did understand that.

My oldest boys are not coda but my daughter understands Asl and uses tactile sign with me for deaf blind so she is seen as amazing by other kids at the park . (Raise your kids to love Asl comes from yet love of Deaf culture and they will respect love and love being Coda .

I'm a profoundly hard of hearing parent teach them in they way they shell go and when they are older shell not depart from it ..ever ever !

all of my kids are coda's . my oldest is going to college for becoming a terp. however this presented a situation that i am not sure how to feel about. he been to couple colleges now and all of his asl classmates thinks he so cool since he is the only student with deaf parents.

i'm sorry --cool? is this cool or should i be offended ? lol . what do you guys say???

Yes. CODAs are extremely cool!
Take it from me.
I'm deaf, I talk like a normal person, most people don't believe me, because I lip read and respond. Downfall would be that I can't hear.
CODA has the luxury of it all, even pulling off being deaf......
Damn straight CODAs are cool!

Back