Is christmas stressful for you?

GarnetTigerMom

Reaction score
I know christmas is a stressful time for lot of people, Don't some of you feel that way that christmas is a stressful time of the year? I know I am stressful over christmas as ususal not so surprising. Already it seems to me that we are under incessant reminders that christmas is the next big big event of the year. Stress over christmas who needs it? What your idea how to avoid stress near the christmas hoilday coming? I am curious how you deal with the christmas stress and any idea and tips how you fight the stress near christmas is coming so near? Love to hear your input about it. :)

My only stress is buying the right gifts for my family and having a tight budget ahh. So I decided to limits overspending anything expect spend on my child. :) Hope my family will understand or even maybe feel relieved. ahh.:aw:

Actually the last two years I hated Christmas so much that I did not even have a tree or decorated my place.

This year, I decided that I will get myself into Christmas spirit. Lo and behold, I am seeing so much of true Christmas spirit already. I just got myself a pink colored tree so am excited about decorating it tonight :) Screw traditions, I will make my own traditions and do what I love :)

Yup this time of the year, also last year too.. I don't think I even would buy that much presents this year :(

I do have stress about trying to get gifts my family will like while on a budget. I don't have any good way to deal with it.

I did say what limit I thought should be on presents. I hope everyone sticks to it. I feel really bad if someone gives me more than I gave.

Actually the last two years I hated Christmas so much that I did not even have a tree or decorated my place.

This year, I decided that I will get myself into Christmas spirit. Lo and behold, I am seeing so much of true Christmas spirit already. I just got myself a pink colored tree so am excited about decorating it tonight :) Screw traditions, I will make my own traditions and do what I love :)

That great!,, Funny I have been seeing new christmas tree in style pink, blue, purple, red, Yellow,, oh boy! lol It new but interesting lol:giggle: But glad you getting the christmas spirit! ::aw:

I do have stress about trying to get gifts my family will like while on a budget. I don't have any good way to deal with it.

I did say what limit I thought should be on presents. I hope everyone sticks to it. I feel really bad if someone gives me more than I gave.

Oh ,, yeah I hear ya.. I know how that goes too. I alway felt bad when someone gave me a gift and I have given one to that person,, so I had to do belated xmas gift to a friend even if I am tight on the budget. :aw:

christmas used to be stressful for me, but now it isn't. i do all of my christmas shopping in july (online) so i'm able to avoid the crowds and find some great gifts without feeling pressured to pick "something" just because it's last minute.

having said that, i always spend christmas with my family. if i were to have christmas at my apartment, i think that would send my blood pressure skyrocketing through the roof and there's absolutely NO way i could handle the stress.

For some reason, I feel more stressed than usual about the holidays. Usually, I am a little stressed but this year is a different story. I dunno why. :dunno:

Not really...

Past years, we bought the things at summer special offer to keep for Xmas gifts... until this year, we all agree to not exchange the gifts but just greeting each other is good enough...

I decorated the Xmas decoration as usual last week... The tree will come tomorrow and then decorate them...

My youngest son order designer clothes with 70% discount via internet yesterday for Xmas gift... It's his limit up to $150. My oldest son want money... okay he will have it on Xmas Day... My both sons are teengers and do not need anything but clothes... Sure, they will get surprise gifts from us...

We prepare about Xmas meal last weekends until we agree what we want to eat...

You won't get stress if you prepare for the weeks before Xmas...

Well for me, it been a couple years since my parents are now deceased.. and it does hurt not to see them around for Ukrainian Christmas but I know they are watching from above and I feel they would want me to live my life to the fullest possible and enjoy anything I can do... plus what with the farm still on the market and waiting to hear anything about it being sold and etc.. ahhh.. I dunno about xmas gifts to exchange but probably gift cards I bet again for this Ukrainian Xmas as is the last few years now....will see what everyone in my family plans on doing that or not....

Yes, Definately. It's the last time I saw my mum before she died and we didn't get on particularly well.

Well for me, it been a couple years since my parents are now deceased.. and it does hurt not to see them around for Ukrainian Christmas but I know they are watching from above and I feel they would want me to live my life to the fullest possible and enjoy anything I can do... plus what with the farm still on the market and waiting to hear anything about it being sold and etc.. ahhh.. I dunno about xmas gifts to exchange but probably gift cards I bet again for this Ukrainian Xmas as is the last few years now....will see what everyone in my family plans on doing that or not....

Ah I am sorry that both your folks are gone, But I am sure you will always cherish the memories you have of them. As for me I don't get along well with my folks lately, not for a very long time. That why I don't bother to visit them that much for christmas because all they ever do is look for a fight which I don't want to do durning christmas. Since my child been born they still haven't change much. It gets worst, my family still not realized that I will never be hearing person to them, and controlling over me. That why I stay far away. Not sure how I feel about xmas with them. But christmas for my daughter is important to her so I want her have the best christmas for the rest of her life. :) :lol::aw:

i know exactly how you feel, sharky. <hugs> i lost my father in 1999, one of my 4 sisters in 2001 and my mother in 2004 -- and it still hurts after all these years. the holidays are especially difficult on me emotionally since christmas was my mother's favorite time of year and we always used to have huge family get togethers at our house. i really miss those times. now i spend the holidays with my sister and her family. while it's nice that i'm not alone (i'm *very* thankful for her company), i do feel a hole in my heart for the times i've lost. ever since my parents passed away, i haven't seen a majority of my relatives -- my nephews, neices, aunts and uncles. the only relatives i do see are two of my sisters and two nieces. there is also another niece of mine who lives near me, but we don't really talk to each other. we get along very well, so it's not a matter of having a bad relationship, it's just that she's so busy with her job and i with school that we rarely have time to talk.

Do you think it could be economics?

I dont know...or I just dont feel like making 5 plus potluck dishes for all the different events I am going to, doing the shopping, writing in Xmas cards, wrapping gifts, decorating my house, setting up the tree...and etc. I just feel overwhelmed sometimes just thinking of all the things I have to do for the holidays and then it is all over so quick.

I dont know...or I just dont feel like making 5 plus potluck dishes for all the different events I am going to, doing the shopping, writing in Xmas cards, wrapping gifts, decorating my house, setting up the tree...and etc. I just feel overwhelmed sometimes just thinking of all the things I have to do for the holidays and then it is all over so quick.

shel,

have you ever thought about asking one of your friends or relatives to make potluck dishes for you? that's what i do. i give them all of the ingredients they need and let them cook it for me. that helps eliminate alot of stress that i ordinarily can't handle during the holidays. i also have friends come over and help me decorate my apartment and put up my christmas tree. as for christmas cards, i write notes (i include a written note that i print on my computer) and sign all of them in july -- and set them aside until december. then when the holidays roll around, all i have to do is go to my box of cards and they're all ready to be mailed or delivered by hand.

shel,

have you ever thought about asking one of your friends or relatives to make a potluck for you? that's what i do. i give them all of the ingredients they need and let them cook it for me. that helps eliminate alot of stress that i ordinarily can't handle during the holidays. i also have friends come over and help me decorate my apartment and put up my christmas tree. as for christmas cards, i write notes (i include a written note that i print on my computer) and sign all of them in july -- and set them aside until december. then when the holidays roll around, all i have to do is go to my box of cards and they're all ready to be mailed or delivered by hand.

My closest friend lives in PA and the other one lives in South Carolina. The rest are in AZ...the ones here in MD are too cosumed with their own problems and family lives to help out.

As for my family, I guess I can ask my brother to help out. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess it feels like the holidays came so fast..feels liek I am just not ready this year.

For me I wouldn't say it was stress.

For me it can be a little sombering when one thinks of loved ones no longer here.

Back