I'm starting to hate deaf people....I am hard of hearing

Are you talking about oralists? What about their hearing ability with HA/CI on? I believe what you were talking about is that they use CapTel or VRS/TTD with VCO. No?

no regular phone with HA or CI they were born profoundly deaf. There are fews who can.

i say and sign it. i have note book pen with me or use display tx.If asked, and often am i say not born deaf i give reasons why am now.i ask if they can sign.that about it..All depends on situation you in...You refering to Deaf person who just rude.i would touch upper arm so he aware..i find it sad when everyone got axe to grind about the level of deafness or disability they have.Be pragmatic arseholes will always be with us

I am sorry to tell you that I still don't get it.

Some are able to talk on the phone. I used to be able too before my db loss progressed worse, so I no longer do. But my earlier profound loss -- I could talk with my mom, dad, sister. Anyways, others can too, depending on if they've developed listening skills and have a good grasp of phonemes.

I am sorry to tell you that I still don't get it.

LOL thats Ok for your honest.

I should say, few who are profoundly deaf and can speak and listen on the phone if they have been in therapist for so long. Yeah

its not that important because i know them who prefer ASL anyway.

Intersting observation- "honesty" in DEAF circles-as long as one subscribes to the "current ideology"-"oppression by hearing people/being voice off".

As for "hearing on telephone"-not everyone can -even with a Cochlear Implant.
aside: Notwithstanding I am bilateral DEAF-December 20, 2006 still use my UltraTech 1140 VCO TTY- to this day/ 711 Quebec City in my part of Canada

Helps to study Sociology-"deaf culture".

l

good advice.....
You'll find that there are shallow people in every group. I've found wonderfully supportive people on this site and some that sound like they'd fit right in with the KKK or Neo Nazis....it's that black and white...and they also don't give a damn if they offend you with their prejudice so long as you don't offend them by using a term like "hearing impaired" or say things like "I'm thinking of finding a speech therapist..." in which case they view it as a personal attack on them or a sign that you're not "deaf enough" to belong.

There are some nice people here but it's not as obvious where they are...but do hang in. I know exactly how you feel because I'm in the same boat as you really. Just remember this is a forum and should never be confused with real life..and when those prejudiced idiots rear their head....take a break and connect with people in your life that matter....too much time online in forums is never a good thing.

Laura

Maybe you should try to find deaf people that have more of the same interests you have. I am not sure where you live but I found in some small towns or cities people in general can be very clicky and it has nothing to do with being hoh dear or hearing. Maybe you should try to get to know just one deaf person and see if they'll help you fit in .

Excellent advice. That is what I am doing. Just trying to find someone in the town I just relocated into to help me adapt and fit in. People can be very 'clicky'...and small towns are worse for that than larger cities, although people everywhere tend to be clicky. :ty:

Why should one get "excited" about "acceptace" in a "small local group" if they "reject" you?

Aren't there other groups in one's area to be part of?

Yes, indeed. Do NOT go around looking for ways to get accepted into a group or with a cadre of people that do not align with you or not really your friends. Doing that would be fooling yourself. People either accept you for who you are and want to be your friends or they do not. And don't sweat the small details of those who don't like you.

I feel you. I'm deaf myself but I do get you in a way. I noticed that the older generation or the deaf people that doesn't go to college tend to do this. I remember that I graduated from college and came home to my deaf community.. I would get comments from them about me graduating.. some of them were nasty. One of them actually said "oh now you think you're hotshot bc you graduated from RIT, you're better than us, huh?..." i was taken back.. I was upset b/c I worked SO hard to get myself in college and he should be at least proud to see that someone from the deaf community is trying to show others that we can DO it.. where's the support.. (in your workds) - where's the love? i was aggravated but.. i stopped myself b/c you have to try to think of it in their perspective.. they never had the opportunity, they probably was raised being pushed under the rug if you know what i mean? i'm sure it's hard for them to ... wish that they were in our shoes... but still... it's hard to listen to their harsh words... i remember that one kid took my hearing aids and threw it on the floor and said i was hard of hearing.. im like.. first of all.. i'm DEAF.. profoundly deaf... and second of all, he had no right to do that.. i was PISSED. but i was a teenager that time.. now. i'm an adult.. i still see people act like this.. i just let it go.. sometimes i would speak back.. sometimes they will realized what i said was true... so it's up to you.. you can stop hanging out w/ those type of people, look for people that respect you... trust me.. there are deaf people out there that udnerstands you adn respect you.

So I have been recently socializing with the deaf. They treat me really bad because I am hard of hearing. Why does it really matter? Why do deaf people act so immature. I do sign and wear hearing aids...and I use a lot of ASL...but it's mostly PSE. I think most deaf need to grow up and it is a big turn off and making people who are hard of hearing feel like outsiders. Deaf people gossip so much and I want to be a part of the culture but they are so mean and picky. I don't care who hates this post but I just need advice. I am just sharing because when I socialize with them they act very immature and gossip even in their 40's and 50's. I'm just sad cause I was raised to speak and sign and they always have something to say. Why is there so much hype on deaf culture if most of them are mean and they always pick on the hard of hearing from how they grew up to their signing skills. It just really sucks....Ugh! Who cares it is no big deal ...why separate deaf and hard of hearing or lack of ASL skills or people who choose to wear hearing aids...that is so shallow! UGH:shock::shock:

no matter you accept to you judge to respect to accept to deaf and hearing to people

I don't mind to people

people usually hate deaf people

I am surprised. I love people deaf community. I am really strong agree feel ( means feeling strong) on my personal comfortable best friends, friendship.

People don't like to me as well not my problem. as well It is very their life. many people life in world. It is true story.

I learn new how ask to people. I wonder to feeling judge to people

I don't know my theory. I personal strong advise close friendship and happy surprised, I want to happy fun .
I want to skills very high quality development to best effort to evaluation to love to friendship and confidental.

you should be observation to make sure respect to polite to how feeling confidential express.
you don't be blame to people. you accept to deaf people :)

I experience many traning to how mistake to

I said Don't be blame to people or critiized to many to people mistake

Example
I said sorry I am sorry mistake I misundertand. I said I back to friends example
you make sure clear.

I notice to people misunderstand. I can't saying! It is very encourage to my humiliate pleasure to respect to deaf and hearing! no matter same!

no matter you accept to you judge to respect to accept to deaf and hearing to people

I don't mind to people

people usually hate deaf people

I am surprised. I love people deaf community. I am really strong agree feel ( means feeling strong) on my personal comfortable best friends, friendship.

People don't like to me as well not my problem. as well It is very their life. many people life in world. It is true story.

I learn new how ask to people. I wonder to feeling judge to people

I don't know my theory. I personal strong advise close friendship and happy surprised, I want to happy fun .
I want to skills very high quality development to best effort to evaluation to love to friendship and confidental.

you should be observation to make sure respect to polite to how feeling confidential express.
you don't be blame to people. you accept to deaf people :)

I experience many traning to how mistake to

I said Don't be blame to people or critiized to many to people mistake

Example
I said sorry I am sorry mistake I misundertand. I said I back to friends example
you make sure clear.

I notice to people misunderstand. I can't saying! It is very encourage to my humiliate pleasure to respect to deaf and hearing! no matter same!

Very good point. Good advice :D

So I have been recently socializing with the deaf. They treat me really bad because I am hard of hearing. Why does it really matter? Why do deaf people act so immature. I do sign and wear hearing aids...and I use a lot of ASL...but it's mostly PSE. I think most deaf need to grow up and it is a big turn off and making people who are hard of hearing feel like outsiders. Deaf people gossip so much and I want to be a part of the culture but they are so mean and picky. I don't care who hates this post but I just need advice. I am just sharing because when I socialize with them they act very immature and gossip even in their 40's and 50's. I'm just sad cause I was raised to speak and sign and they always have something to say. Why is there so much hype on deaf culture if most of them are mean and they always pick on the hard of hearing from how they grew up to their signing skills. It just really sucks....Ugh! Who cares it is no big deal ...why separate deaf and hard of hearing or lack of ASL skills or people who choose to wear hearing aids...that is so shallow! UGH:shock::shock:

I'm sorry I just can't really give anything to this other than...

People are different. Deaf people you meet compared to deaf people I meet, hearing people you meet compared to hearing people I meet are ALL going to be different. I would never judge or treat anyone any different regardless if they were hearing, deaf, blind or what the hell ever. You know that saying you can't judge a book by its cover... well you can't. Not all deaf people are the same like you're experiencing, and not all HOH people are like you. You can't start to hate or not like a general population of deaf people just because you met some douches... Just throwing it out there...

Hell my neighbor to the right of me is completely different from the one to the left of me. I'm related to people by 100% blood and we're all different.

Get out there and meet some non-douches! Stop talking to these gossip queens and push on! Again, not all people are the same, this goes for the deaf. I'd gladly speak to anyone who signs, doesn't sign or whatever and I have a good amount of deaf friends who feel the same even though I have only been without hearing for 5 or 6 years they still treat me with respect and like a person. Again, maybe these people are just jerks and you need to go meet some different people. :D

I know the feeling.

Even though I'm deaf myself, there are times when I'm appalled by what other deaf people do to a point where I'm ashamed of the concept of "deafness".

Here are a few examples:

1.) I go to the food court at the mall and see this deaf guy handing out handmade beaded keychains along with a little card with something like, "Hello, I am deaf. Please support my deaf family. These keychains are $5 each." He'll put these on a bunch of tables, then return with a sad face and poorly done bambi eyes... asking for money. If they don't give him money, he'll take the keychains back. I don't go to that particular mall often, but when I do... he's almost always there. I actually had a Taco Bell employee look at me differently because he thought I was with that guy.

2.) I go to Walmart and see this deaf guy trying to sell ABC sign language cards to customers. When he's done, he'll go to McDonalds and buy the most expensive combo from the menu and then head his way to the next store.

3.) I go to a computer lab in RIT and get to working on my project. Suddenly, I hear a bunch of slapping and thudding. I turn around and see 2 deaf students signing with each other... loudly. They will sign erratically, then drop their hands on their laps like their hands are full of lead and they're extremly tired. This makes a lot of noise and I can see that it's bothering the other hearing students. I then tell them that they're signing loud and they look back at me with a glare. They say that they're deaf, therefore... it doesn't apply to them and they can do whatever they want.

It's things like this that makes me mad about how deaf people out there are like that. A lot of other deaf people have worked hard to work themselves into society and it's the bad deaf people that make us good deaf people look bad.

We just have to keep working hard to maintain our own good reputation.

Back