I left the garbage disposal on for 45 minutes

What about the times when we vacuum and not know it's off? lol. Happens to me a few times with my canister vacuum cleaner. Wondered why it was not picking up stuff. Can't feel the vibration because of the hose. Makes me laugh when I think aboutit. Now I have upright and I always feel it now. I'm happier! :)

What about the times when we vacuum and not know it's off? lol. Happens to me a few times with my canister vacuum cleaner. Wondered why it was not picking up stuff. Can't feel the vibration because of the hose. Makes me laugh when I think aboutit. Now I have upright and I always feel it now. I'm happier! :)

:laugh2:...done that too...I did plug the vacuum into the socket...and started vacuuming...somehow it became unplugged...and I was still vacuuming the floor. My friend came over...looked at me as I was vacuuming..and asked..."what are you doing?"...I said....vacuuming, what else?....She picked up the cord and showed it to me.....:giggle:

Sigh . . . I didn't say it was your fault. I said you had bad luck, with the nails, and with your experience of reaching into the drain. At least that's how it seemed from your description of events.

I had to reach into the disposal because our nanny did not know how to turn it on. I was a only a little girl at the time but I knew how to turn on disposal on and tried to tell our nanny but she was to afraid to do it . For the life of me I have no idea why our nanny kept putting garbage in the disposal and then made me take it out.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

whatdidyousay! said:
Sigh . . . I didn't say it was your fault. I said you had bad luck, with the nails, and with your experience of reaching into the drain. At least that's how it seemed from your description of events.

I had to reach into the disposal because our nanny did not know how to turn it on. I was a only a little girl at the time but I knew how to turn on disposal on and tried to tell our nanny but she was to afraid to do it . For the life of me I have no idea why our nanny kept putting garbage in the disposal and then made me take it out.

Maybe she was a sadist.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Maybe she was a sadist.

My dad made me reach into a commercial grade disposal at his club when I was nine because a member had dropped his ring down it, and I was the smallest hand around.

That is what I thought of my father then, and I still have the occasional flashback of that.

One time I drop something down the sink...no way I would reach in to retrieve it, so disposal remains off, and I took pipes under the sink apart. Viola! There is it.

I'm surprised it didn't have an automatic shutoff switch or overheating switch?

My wife did it one time. She flipped the wrong switch and left it running the whole time until it stopped working. All I had to do was press the reset button under it to get it running again.

Me too, I know all of them required to have thermal protection on it.

Once I had a deaf guy who asked me why these disposal quit working. I showed to her the button. She swallowed her pride, and told me she struggling for hours and hours trying to figure out.

I'm surprised it didn't have an automatic shutoff switch or overheating switch?

My wife did it one time. She flipped the wrong switch and left it running the whole time until it stopped working. All I had to do was press the reset button under it to get it running again.

I had a plumber voluntarily show me how to reset my garbage disposal & how to use a "stick" to reverse turn the blades to see if they were jammed by something.

Neat - learned something about the disposal's reset button. Did not know this.

One time my washer hose came apart and poured water all over the floor. If I could hear, I'd probably hear the splashing and go investigate. Those little things make me mad at myself for being deaf. I have to be careful not to ever turn on the microwave fan on because I won't ever know if it's in use or not so I never touch it. Once I pressed it by accident and I had to put my hand underneath to find out how many times I have to press to turn it off. (high - low - off) Hard to tell on that one.

Neat - learned something about the disposal's reset button. Did not know this.

One time my washer hose came apart and poured water all over the floor. If I could hear, I'd probably hear the splashing and go investigate. Those little things make me mad at myself for being deaf....
Don't beat yourself up over that. These kinds of things happen to hearing people, too. For some reason, lots of household flooding accidents happen when people aren't home (water heaters burst, washing machine hoses split, water lines break, etc.) It happens. Other than installing flood notification technology and keeping up on household maintenance, there isn't much you can do about some situations. If you aren't home or you're asleep or outdoors when something happens in your house, well....

Even as a hearing person, I have to develop almost OCD patterns to ensure more safety in household chores. That's why when I use my disposal my pattern is, scoop all the garbage into the sink drain, turn on cold water, turn on disposal, turn off disposal, rinse down sink, turn on disposal, turn off disposal, turn off water.

Whenever I use my electric stove, I also turn on the over-range light. I don't turn off that light until all burners on stove are off. That way, at a glance from even another room, I can tell the stove is still on.

Everyone develops their own "tricks" for household chores.

I had a plumber voluntarily show me how to reset my garbage disposal & how to use a "stick" to reverse turn the blades to see if they were jammed by something.

Same here....using a broom stick and it worked...dunno about the "newer" models tho'...this was an older model garbage disposer.

If you look at the bottom of the disposal, you will see hex shaped hole, use hex wrench to free up stuck stuff inside it. I think it is 1/4" or 3/8" hex not sure. Of course, should be near the thermal reset button usually square red button.

Same here....using a broom stick and it worked...dunno about the "newer" models tho'...this was an older model garbage disposer.

This is very true. Happens to hearing people when there is too much background noises, they do filter them and they can overlook something serious.

Don't beat yourself up over that. These kinds of things happen to hearing people, too. For some reason, lots of household flooding accidents happen when people aren't home (water heaters burst, washing machine hoses split, water lines break, etc.) It happens. Other than installing flood notification technology and keeping up on household maintenance, there isn't much you can do about some situations. If you aren't home or you're asleep or outdoors when something happens in your house, well....

If you look at the bottom of the disposal, you will see hex shaped hole, use hex wrench to free up stuck stuff inside it. I think it is 1/4" or 3/8" hex not sure. Of course, should be near the thermal reset button usually square red button.

Oops. Forgot to mention the hex tool.

Wirelessly posted

I tend to leave the water running from time to time. I forget to turn it off since I cant hear the water running. Haven't done it in a while since I taught myself to look and check afterwards.

I was in Home Depot last night they have a 15 minute wound spring timer switch there for 20 dollars that will replace a regular switch nicely. It is a good good quality switch rated for 20 amps. It is not with the regular switches but over in with the light fixtures. It can be set for less time and turned off when done too. Just an idea.

One time, I left water running on and forgot all about it, because my mother called me. Talking about bad timing. The sink was flooring. Now, I am a bit more conscious about it.

I agree with Reba. It happens to hearing people,too. My hearing friend left oven toaster on for a whole day, and was very glad his house did not burn down.

There are toaster ovens that have an auto shut-off when they're done cooking. I have one. It's an Oster.

Back