Hypocrisy?

Yes, contextual definitions underly all use of words. That is why we must be careful to convey the contextual meaning when we use them. To be insensitive to this fact simply allows prejudice and discrimination to continue

It's not the contextual definitions that lead to sterotypes and discrimination. It's the people that use the words out of context and not by definition. Those are the same people that may or may not respond to education and awareness. That response to me would depend on if they are ignorant or if they are stupid.

And yes, there is something that all of us can do to lessen prejudice and discrimination. And it really doesn't take a lot of time or effort. First, we can refuse to engage in discriminatory or prejudical language use, and we can correct others when they do. Second, we can refuse to engage in prejudicial or discriminatory behavior and we can correct others when we witness it. Such behavior is the result of ignorance. By correcting those mistaken beliefs, we lessen the impact of the prejudice and discrimination.

If it were only that easy. I have said many times that I believe education and awareness will help to reduce audist attitudes but I also believe there are many that you will never be able to change. If those that cant change are in positions of authority then there are laws to protect against such behaviour and that is where people need to stand up and fight for their rights.

And with others rise up and fight for their rights, such as their right not to be referred to as "disabled", we can respect that they have spoken up for themselves, and choose to refer to them in a less offensive way, rather than telling them they are wrong, and continuing to insist that they are "disabled."

As we have seen that is highly subjective. If you refer to someone as disabled in the proper context and definition they should not be offended. Many don't take offense to being refered to as disabled. I am disabled and don't take offense to it. Its an accurate description of what I am and I accept it.

People also have the right to use words in proper context and definition without getting reamed for it or worring about offending someone. I don't stereotype and I don't discriminate therefore I should not have to walk on eggshels for fear of offending someone if I am using my words properly.

If you believe that people have the right to be refered to something other than an existing definition I assume they have some other word for it. If that is true, you can change the words all you want but those that discriminate and stereotype will eventually find the new word and apply the same sterotyping and discrimination because of their nature. So you can run from the word and change it if you want but in the long run it won't matter. That is why I say it's best to stand up and fight for your rights.

And yes I agree that you should correct people when they use words out of context and not by their intended definitions. For those that are ignorant, they will adjust. For those that are stupid, they will never change. And trust me, there are many stupid people out there. Just look at how much stereotyping and discrimination exist in our world that doesn't apply to deafness. I am an optimistic guy but I don't believe this sort of thing will ever be completly obolished. I believe a better solution is for those that feel they have been discriminated against use the law to fight for their rights. Who knows, maybe the stupid people will catch on if they get fined or loose their jobs over such practices.

I apolize that I was misunderstand and post wrong. I didnt know what is Hypocrisy. I asked my friend about what is hypocisy mean. She explained. I understand. Opps!

It's not the contextual definitions that lead to sterotypes and discrimination. It's the people that use the words out of context and not by definition. Those are the same people that may or may not respond to education and awareness. That response to me would depend on if they are ignorant or if they are stupid.

Actually, contextual definitions and use of language have a lot to do with stereotypes and discrimination. Numerous words, by dictionary defintion, are not offensive in the least. However, when used in a particular context, are decidedly offensive. And while many may not change, there is always the chance that one will. That is one less prejudiced person in the world. That is improvement.

If it were only that easy. I have said many times that I believe education and awareness will help to reduce audist attitudes but I also believe there are many that you will never be able to change. If those that cant change are in positions of authority then there are laws to protect against such behaviour and that is where people need to stand up and fight for their rights.

I agree that people need to stand up and fight for their rights. It is also inherent in any oppressed group, that there will be those, who as a result of inante personality traits, react to the oppression with an inability to stand up for themselves. The oppression and discrimination has had such an impact on them, that they will either develop the attitude that they don't deserve any better, or that standing up for themselves will only make them more obvious and more subject to the discrimination. That is why we have advocates. And I will say again, if you fail to speak up when you see such discrimination occur, then you have not become part of the solution, but are, in fact, part of the problem. And that you is generalized, not specific.

As we have seen that is highly subjective. If you refer to someone as disabled in the proper context and definition they should not be offended. Many don't take offense to being refered to as disabled. I am disabled and don't take offense to it. Its an accurate description of what I am and I accept it.

There you go again with the "should statement". If someone is offended by being called "disabled". then the thing to do is change your language in reference to that person, or that group of people. Telling them how they "should" react is, once again, telling them that they are not entitled to self defintion of who and what they are.

People also have the right to use words in proper context and definition without getting reamed for it or worring about offending someone. I don't stereotype and I don't discriminate therefore I should not have to walk on eggshels for fear of offending someone if I am using my words properly.

You have the right to refer to yourself in whatever terms you choose. However, when it comes to reference to another person, yo do not have the right to determine how they "should" be referrred to. They have the right to determine that for themselves, and if they find it offensive, it is your duty to change the language you use. And if you accidentally offend another, you have the duty to apologize. What you don't have is the right to tellt hem that they must accept the way you define them.

If you believe that people have the right to be refered to something other than an existing definition I assume they have some other word for it. If that is true, you can change the words all you want but those that discriminate and stereotype will eventually find the new word and apply the same sterotyping and discrimination because of their nature. So you can run from the word and change it if you want but in the long run it won't matter. That is why I say it's best to stand up and fight for your rights.

They do have another way to refer to it: a person with a disability rather than a disabled person.

And yes I agree that you should correct people when they use words out of context and not by their intended definitions. For those that are ignorant, they will adjust. For those that are stupid, they will never change. And trust me, there are many stupid people out there. Just look at how much stereotyping and discrimination exist in our world that doesn't apply to deafness. I am an optimistic guy but I don't believe this sort of thing will ever be completly obolished. I believe a better solution is for those that feel they have been discriminated against use the law to fight for their rights. Who knows, maybe the stupid people will catch on if they get fined or loose their jobs over such practices.

And one way to stand up for their rights is to request that they not be referred to as a "disabled person", but rather as a person with a disability. One of the rights they have is the right to self definition of their identity. And if one does not identify as "disabled" then they have every right not to be referred to as such. So, instead of telling them how they "should" react, respect that they have stood up for their right to define themselves, and refrain from calling them disabled.

And you are correct. We will never rid the world of all prejudice and discrimination. But we can rid ourselves of it. And we can refuse to tolerate it when we see it. If we don't speak out against it, then we are, by inaction, taking part.

disabled or not

I don't care if you concider youself disabled or not, if you can work you should. Nothing gives a person self worth more than a job well done.I don't
care if its cooking burgers or raising a child. Myself i'v been deaf for short
periods of time but had surgery and regained some hearing. With the help
of friends i'v allways worked.I have my own business and at times communication was a problem,but my customers worked with me and here
I am still doing what I do.

hoh custmpaintr

This is my personal opinion: saying that being deaf is not a disability but drawing SSI/SSDI, VR money, etc. is indeed hypocritical.

I do not have a disability.

I do, however, have a condition. I'm deaf. I'm also a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes. I have fair skin. And...I'm deaf rather than hearing. I will work for a living. During my college years when I had nothing to eat but rice and water, I had to hold down three jobs while going to school full time. But I did it! I will not use VR to pay for school based on my deafness, and I will not draw government money based on my deafness. I even object to the tax break for deaf people!

I want to be treated the same as hearing people without disabilities.

Back