Hypocrisy?

Excuse me, you dont know my all life. I had a full time job and went college same time for 2 years. I got bank job by myself without vr. Then I had to come back to VR about need a new job. They tried find job for me. They told me that accounting job were very tough to get. They suggest me to go college over again. I said what?? I said I graduted college and worked at bank. They said well Accouting is not right for you so you need change the major. I told them that I had a baby and I don't have money to pay daycare that I was unemployment and go back to college to change major. It was not easy at all. After baby born, My job coach got me a new job but the business shut down. My job couch suggest me to apply ssdi.

Please dont against me or my old vr and job coach. okay?

Now I am not worrying about search job because I already have a business with my partner that I really love. I will cut ssdi off. My partner hired me to do this business. I can able stay home and manage collect email address and send emails for logo bear charities. No boss around. No employee. No daycare. I love what i am doing.

That's wrong of VR to say that accounting is wrong for you. What VR should be doing is to educate the businesses with accounting departments to change their system and attitudes and start hiring deaf people. I dont believe in companies/business who say that they cant hire us cuz of communication and phone issues...with today's technology the way it is, they are just bullshitting us and covering their asses so they wont get sued. Like Jillo said, they CAN make the accodomations for a small price. I think people want to stay ignorant and close-minded instead of opening up their horizons.

What about people on welfare receiving temporary assistance or long term assistance? Are all of them are disabled? No, they have their reasons why they're on welfare, unemployed, not married, divorced, separated, other reason unknown. Are they lazy people who are leaching off of government funds? The truth is we do not know the reason why they're on welfare, but it's okay for you to judged the deaf for receiving SSI, SSA, or SSDI? Labeling them hypocrisy? You don't know their life, and you don't know why they need to be on SSI, SSA or SSDI, maybe their deafness has nothing to do with it, maybe they are jobless and haven't been hired, running out of money or maybe they haven't found a decent job with benefits. they need to pay their bills or support their family needs.

There are job discrimination out in the society, it's the hard truth, people struggle, people are trying, but nobody gives them a chance so you cannot say deaf people are hypocrisy.

What about people on welfare receiving temporary assistance or long term assistance? Are all of them are disabled? No, they have their reasons why they're on welfare, unemployed, not married, divorced, separated, other reason unknown. Are they lazy people who are leaching off of government funds? The truth is we do not know the reason why they're on welfare, but it's okay for you to judged the deaf for receiving SSI, SSA, or SSDI? Labeling them hypocrisy? You don't know their life, and you don't know why they need to be on SSI, SSA or SSDI, maybe their deafness has nothing to do with it, maybe they are jobless and haven't been hired, running out of money or maybe they haven't found a decent job with benefits. they need to pay their bills or support their family needs.

There are job discrimination out in the society, it's the hard truth, people struggle, people are trying, but nobody gives them a chance so you cannot say deaf people are hypocrisy.

:gpost:

Matter of fact, the economy really sucks now so that makes it harder on a lot of deaf people now because competition is tight for jobs.

I just wish these companies and businesses would stop going the traditional way and start hiring people with different needs.

Right shel90... Gas prices went up, food prices went up, jobs been lost. American people are struggling nowadays. I've read that some families are making their own food now and laundry detergent, they are doing whatever it takes to survived.

You didn't read carefully. The OP isn't accusing anyone of being hypocritical. All she is asking is "Is it hypocritical for the deaf to claim they aren't disabled, but still receive SSI/SSDI?"

I think it's a valid question giving that the rules for SSI (I'm unfamiliar with the rules of SSDI) state that one must be deemed disabled in order to receive SSI.

Maybe it's you that need to learn to read carefully, read post number 17.

Oh well. Her opinion, and it's also a different p.o.v.

*shrug*

I'm not going to be pulled into an argument with you, Cheri. It's not worth it. I didn't think she was accusing anyone of being hypocritical, but you obviously did.

Such is life.

I found this...many comments are from deaf people who experienced discrimination while trying to find jobs and gave up cuz they need money to survive.

We say we are not disabled but why does the general hearing society continue to disable us like that?

I agree with Jillo..who are the hypocrates?

Deaf Population Is 90% Unemployed? | found in blank

You are correct. To collect SSDI, one must have an employment history. For those who have never worked, SSI is the assistance they receive.

If one goes back to the work force, does one have to start the employment history all over? I recall reading that the monthly check amount depends on the last 5 years of employment. If one go back to work for a year and then reapply for SSDI, does the amount go down or stay the same? Or one can't get SSDI because it is not 5 years? I guess I better read the SSDI information online for my answer.

I found this...many comments are from deaf people who experienced discrimination while trying to find jobs and gave up cuz they need money to survive.

We say we are not disabled but why does the general hearing society continue to disable us like that?

Did I said disabled mean not able to work? NO
Read what I said carefully
I said "disability/disabled mean not able to hear. PERIOD you people gonna stop stretching the defination or take it to a whole another meaning or out of the context.
So you ARE disabled by being deaf
And wth is this bull about I'm not disabled cuz I work? You are disabled that work because you are deaf.
Don't take this word disabled into something else, stay on one defiantion.

If one goes back to the work force, does one have to start the employment history all over? I recall reading that the monthly check amount depends on the last 5 years of employment. If one go back to work for a year and then reapply for SSDI, does the amount go down or stay the same? Or one can't get SSDI because it is not 5 years? I guess I better read the SSDI information online for my answer.

No, if one goes back to work for a year, then benefits would be based on that year, plus the previous 4 years worked. The 5 years don't have to be consecutive.

I am not sure where those numbers came from but I have a hard time believing that 90% are unemployed.

They may be "merely words", but underlying those words are contextual definitions that lead to stereotypes and discrimination. That is why it is mandatory that we use the correct language to prevent the reinforcement of these stereotypes and discrimination.
I am pretty sure that contextual definitions underly all words. The stereotyping and discrimination are actions by certian people. There is nothing you, I or anyone can ever do to change that. There are laws against that in certian situations. Rise up and fight for your rights.

I am not sure where those numbers came from but I have a hard time believing that 90% are unemployed.

I dont really believe the numbers but my point of posting this link were the comments made by deaf people sharing their experiences of difficulties finding employment due to employers being relunctant in hiring them.

Did I said disabled mean not able to work? NO
Read what I said carefully
I said "disability/disabled mean not able to hear. PERIOD you people gonna stop stretching the defination or take it to a whole another meaning or out of the context.
So you ARE disabled by being deaf
And wth is this bull about I'm not disabled cuz I work? You are disabled that work because you are deaf.
Don't take this word disabled into something else, stay on one defiantion.

:confused: I never claimed anything about you. Just posting a link about deaf people sharing their experiences and frustrations due to society's discrimination on viewing us being disabled rather than as people who have a disability but can do the job when given a chance.

The point of this is that many deaf peopel view themselves as not disabled but have to end up collecting SSI or SSDI because society makes us disabled.

For those deaf who abuse the benefits, that's another story. I am talking about those who do honestly want to find good paying jobs but were unable to do so and there are some deaf people who are alone out there without family support so they need money to survive.

Hope that makes sense?

I am pretty sure that contextual definitions underly all words. The stereotyping and discrimination are actions by certian people. There is nothing you, I or anyone can ever do to change that. There are laws against that in certian situations. Rise up and fight for your rights.

Yes, contextual definitions underly all use of words. That is why we must be careful to convey the contextual meaning when we use them. To be insensitive to this fact simply allows prejudice and discrimination to continue.

And yes, there is something that all of us can do to lessen prejudice and discrimination. And it really doesn't take a lot of time or effort. First, we can refuse to engage in discriminatory or prejudical language use, and we can correct others when they do. Second, we can refuse to engage in prejudicial or discriminatory behavior and we can correct others when we witness it. Such behavior is the result of ignorance. By correcting those mistaken beliefs, we lessen the impact of the prejudice and discrimination. And with others rise up and fight for their rights, such as their right not to be referred to as "disabled", we can respect that they have spoken up for themselves, and choose to refer to them in a less offensive way, rather than telling them they are wrong, and continuing to insist that they are "disabled."

I dont really believe the numbers but my point of posting this link were the comments made by deaf people sharing their experiences of difficulties finding employment due to employers being relunctant in hiring them.

According to the lastest employment statistics that I have seen, 51% of deaf/hoh and 46% of blind/visually impaired adults are either underemployed or unemployed. This comes from the U.S. Dept. of Labor.
This goes right back to the question, are they under or unemployed because they want to work at jobs for which they are overly qualified or because they don't want to work, or because of societal barriers that prevent them from utilizing their skills and abilities? Is it because they are "disabled" or because society sees them as "disabled" rather than as having a disability?

Back