How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with a bi-bi learning environment with whatever auditory access can be achieved. In fact, it is exactly what I have spent over 20 years advocating for.:cool2:

Had to read that twice over to be sure you weren't slamming me for something, but Jillio -- I think we've found common ground :) !

I have no problem with a bi-bi learning environment with whatever auditory access can be achieved. In fact, it is exactly what I have spent over 20 years advocating for.:cool2:

Then why in another thread was she called "obsessed with speech" and she and I have both been "oralists"?

Then why in another thread was she called "obsessed with speech" and she and I have both been "oralists"?

It's very sad that some people will have to label you and jillio with terminologies that are very inappropriate, IMHO.

As much as I am a firm believer/advocate of the bi-bi concept, I am a firm believer/advocate of the respect policy too as well.

I just cannot tolerate how some people see fit to put words in other people's mouths.

One program does not fit all therefore we have those wonderful programs that other children can benefit greatly from.

Because you seem to accept the oral-only approach with no visual access to language and communication, correct?

Because you seem to accept the oral-only approach with no visual access to language and communication, correct?

So, I should what, yell at parents? Call them names? What can I do other than tell them the benefits and raise my child in the way I believe is best?

So, I should what, yell at parents? Call them names? What can I do other than tell them the benefits and raise my child in the way I believe is best?

Yea, I guess. I was thinking more of the policies not at the parents. They dont know and are innocent.

You never stated that your daughter was fully mainstreamed without accommodation the entire time she was in school, and that speech therapy was the only accommodation you provided outside the educational environment? Sure you didn't.

And, you have stated it again in this thread alone. The only assistance she needs is her implant.

And, please, tell it all. Oral TOD for preschool. Mainstreamed k-12 fully. Notetaker for college. Or did you mispeak when you stated that your daughter was fully mainstreamed without the need for any accommodations in the classroom except her CI?

You are not making any sense, I think you have taken Kokonut's advice too literally!

It's very sad that some people will have to label you and jillio with terminologies that are very inappropriate, IMHO.

As much as I am a firm believer/advocate of the bi-bi concept, I am a firm believer/advocate of the respect policy too as well.

I just cannot tolerate how some people see fit to put words in other people's mouths.

One program does not fit all therefore we have those wonderful programs that other children can benefit greatly from.
:hug:

FJ,

I googled Marschark deaf cochlear implant hands voices and found an interview that he had given to that publication, Hands and Voices.* The whole interview is really worthwhile but here is an excerpt:

Seaver: If you became the parent of a deaf child, what would you do?

Marschark: Interestingly, my view on that has changed quite a bit since 1997 when I wrote the first edition of Raising and Educating a Deaf Child. At that point, there were no data indicating that cochlear implants were of significant benefit to children with early or congenital hearing losses, and in my view, the possible benefits did not outweigh the risks. Since the second half of 2000, however, a wealth of evidence has clearly shown that most deaf children will benefit from cochlear implants, even if many of them will not benefit specifically with regard to spoken language (hearing environmental sounds can have important cognitive and social implications that should not be dismissed). So, now that I've seen the evidence, I would seriously consider a cochlear implant for my child, even if, at the same time, I would push for the acquisition of ASL as a first language and use some English-based signing as a bridge to English print. At the same time, I used to be a radical advocate of mainstream education for young deaf children. Having done the research that I have over the past 12 years since I came to NTID, my view on that has changed as well. I believe it is now clear that deaf children do not learn the same way as hearing children, and education in a mainstream classroom by a hearing teacher with material structured (created and delivered) in a form intended for hearing students seems unlikely to optimize learning and match the strengths and needs of deaf children. Although I might like to change a lot about the way many schools for the deaf work, my own pendulum has now swung back to programs that take into account what we know about how deaf children learn, modifying instruction and instructional materials to match the way they think. I honestly believe that for many, if not most deaf children, this would be a way to allow them to reach their full potential. Yet, I realize that the social/economic/legislative pendulum is not likely to swing back this way in the near future.

Solutions
Marschark : The evidence has convinced me, more than ever, that there is never going to be a "one size fits all" solution for deaf children either educationally or in language. That's why I think Hands & Voices is so important: it emphasizes to parents that deaf children have to be seen as individuals, and we have to do what works . I would love to see a day when all deaf children are bilingual. I recognize that this is not likely to happen anytime soon, but as I have said, I think we could be doing a much better job of it than we have. It all starts with parents, and Hands & Voices seems to advocate the kind of flexibility that deaf children (and their families) really need while being willing to tell parents that it really is complicated... that there are not very many simple answers. Honestly, I am not saying that because this interview may go into The Communicator. The 2006 edition of Raising and Educating a Deaf Child says that more clearly than I have here... I have learned a lot in the last 10 years.

Had to read that twice over to be sure you weren't slamming me for something, but Jillio -- I think we've found common ground :) !

Yea, we all are on the same page except for one thing maybe.. Jillio and I vehemently are against oral-only approach while you and FJ have accepted it as one of the options. I hope I got that correct. :)

Yea, I guess. I was thinking more of the policies not at the parents. They dont know and are innocent.

Do you think the parents choice should be taken away? That Deaf ed should be legislated?

Do you think the parents choice should be taken away? That Deaf ed should be legislated?

Well..how are the parents so knowledgeable about deaf children's needs right off the bat? My mom wasnt.

Well..how are the parents so knowledgeable about deaf children's needs right off the bat? My mom wasnt.

That isn't really an answer to my question. I'll answer yours if you'll go ahead and answer mine.

Parents know their child and know their family. They will need to research and figure out what will work for their child and family and what resources are available in their area. They'll figure out their priorities for their child and how to get those goals met.

That isn't really an answer to my question. I'll answer yours if you'll go ahead and answer mine.

Parents know their child and know their family. They will need to research and figure out what will work for their child and family and what resources are available in their area. They'll figure out their priorities for their child and how to get those goals met.

I dont like the idea of taking away parents' rights but in this case, I would have to say yes and make it mandatory for all deaf children to have exposure to ASL and spoken English, deaf and hearing peers, and Deaf adults.

I wish I was as optistmistic as you about parents knowing their child and their families. It is not always the case. I wish it was...I am just very realistic about what is really happening out there. Maybe in your area you are lucky to see all kids have parents involved with their lives and know their children but I live near Baltimore and DC...it is totally the opposite for most families around here and same goes for AZ. In Boston, it was much better.

Parental choices should never be taken away in any choice or matter when it involves their own child(ren) in every aspect.

In the past decades, parents weren't given the best choices in their Deaf children's needs because resources weren't readily available. Now we have a full set of tools for Deaf children and I personally feel with support from both communities, parents of Deaf children should be provided all options without criticism.

We shouldn't be criticizing parents' decisions, only supporting and reinforcing their decisions. Offering feedback and reinforcement when needed because an action of denouncing parents of Deaf children and their choices only compounds the problems much more than needed.

I dont like the idea of taking away parents' rights but in this case, I would have to say yes and make it mandatory for all deaf children to have exposure to ASL and spoken English, deaf and hearing peers, and Deaf adults.

If you were to implement this, I could call it genocide.

You simply cannot force this upon all parents. It is their discretion whether they feel they want to expose ASL to their children and be exposed to ASL as well.

This would fall under the Deaf Hate Crime category. Taking away parental rights and enforcing ASL without options.

If you were to implement this, I could call it genocide.

You simply cannot force this upon all parents. It is their discretion whether they feel they want to expose ASL to their children and be exposed to ASL as well.

This would fall under the Deaf Hate Crime category. Taking away parental rights and enforcing ASL without options.

I am talking aobut in the educational setting. Then children grow up suffering the consequences of being places in restrictive environments?

This is like telling parents they have rights to expose their hearing children to spoken language or not. Would that be acceptable for hearing children not to be exposed to spoken language?

It's always the professionals that get their hands on deaf people's ears and parents. It's the professionals we need to deal with. The parents can decide whatever they want.

I wish I was as optistmistic as you about parents knowing their child and their families. It is not always the case. I wish it was...I am just very realistic about what is really happening out there. Maybe in your area you are lucky to see all kids have parents involved with their lives and know their children but I live near Baltimore and DC...it is totally the opposite for most families around here and same goes for AZ. In Boston, it was much better.

I disagree. There are pros and cons to all choices. It is not my choice to make for someone else. There are successes in all paths, who am I to say that my way is better.

For example, I have a Deaf friend. She has two Deaf children. She has chosen to not give them hearing aids or have them ever have speech therapy. You say you would mandate spoken language exposure, she doesn't want that for them, at least right now. Yes, research shows that the younger a child begins using amplification and being exposed to spoken language the quicker they pick it up, but still, it is her decision. Why should you force her to do something she is uncomfortabl with.

I know another Deaf parent that has chosen a CI for her child. ASL is his first language but she has chosen an oral school for him. Why is your perspective better than hers? She is fully informed and she has made her choice. Her son has access to ASL and spoken language. One at home and one at school. Why is your way better than hers?

Parental choices should never be taken away in any choice or matter when it involves their own child(ren) in every aspect.

In the past decades, parents weren't given the best choices in their Deaf children's needs because resources weren't readily available. Now we have a full set of tools for Deaf children and I personally feel with support from both communities, parents of Deaf children should be provided all options without criticism.

We shouldn't be criticizing parents' decisions, only supporting and reinforcing their decisions. Offering feedback and reinforcement when needed because an action of denouncing parents of Deaf children and their choices only compounds the problems much more than needed.

Thank you. As a parent all I can say is thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back