How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick claims that his daughter is able to hear and understand speech through her CI alone to the degree that she needs no visual input, needed no accommodation in school, and in effect, uses no accommodation in her daily communications.

Again both the lies and the obsession with my child. Not only have I never made such claims but, on the contrary, have stated that my daughter is in fact, a tremendous lipreader and that we can carry on conversations with her without her implant. I have also stated numerous times what accommodations she received throughout her schooling: Teacher of the Deaf, notetaker etc. The closest you came to the truth is your last made up lie. My daughter can indeed communicate orally easily with those she encounters on a daily basis but that is because of her implant and her lipreading skills.

You are some piece of work. The fact that you continually need to make up these baseless stories just demonstrates how little you really know about cochlear implanted kids. Why are you so threatened by successfully implanted children?

Last edited:
FJ,

This is yet another of Jillio's claims that uncited research proves her point and numerous refusals to provide the cited research despite numerous requests to do so. Its the same tiresome game she plays and now how cohorts have joined to further the attack on the person who dares to pull the curtain on this "wizard".

In any event, I will try to find it for you but Marschack has previously written that if he had a deaf child, he would implant the child as early as possible and then provide that child with ASL as the primary language. Seems to be very similar to what you have done for Miss Kat.

The bottomline is I do not need a study to confirm what I have witnessed over the past two decades plus. Anyone in this day and age who is still trying to argue that cochlear implants do not provide benefits and that these kids are not acquiring spoken language skills is either lying or promoting an anti-ci agenda and most likely perhaps both.

A study pales in comparison to the opportunity to observe firsthand children with cochlear implants and what impact, if any, it has made upon their lives.

That's her M.O. Again, it's the attempt to extract a wisdom tooth here.

Yes indeed but it is a tiresome M.O. Seems odd that if you had research that proves your point and disproves that of another, that you refuse to provide it when asked but then maybe not when one considers the source.

Let us not lose sight that the OP contains an excellent article that is of tremendous use to any parent considering an implant for their child.

Well, that is true. But simple perception does not translate to discrimination, particularly when we are talking about the speech ranges. There are those that can perceive sound in the speech range, but be unable to discriminate a single syllable without visual cues. Too many parents and general ed teachers (not to mention special ed teachers) have no concept of the distinction.
Right but isn't that where therapy comes into play?

We've all seen the truth, FJ, but obviously it is not what you are seeing. Go do some research. Or don't. Makes no difference what so ever. Just don't claim to be so well informed and balanced until you find the motivation to do so.
No matter how much research you do, either side can't deny the success and failure stories. It seems that each of our perceptions is going to be related to our individual experiences. It doesn't mean that we are right or wrong, it just means we have different experiences. That's all. Live and let live people.

It is not "for the sake of oralism". Parents choose spoken language for many reasons.
Actually my profoundly deaf son is now asking to speak. We have never pushed him towards oral-ism or having to speak.

Actually my profoundly deaf son is now asking to speak. We have never pushed him towards oral-ism or having to speak.

Your son is choosing this, not anyone else.

Let us not lose sight that the OP contains an excellent article that is of tremendous use to any parent considering an implant for their child.
You are correct. I wish there was more information available when we were faced with the decision. I only hope the discussion we are having helps parents faced with such a difficult decision.

Your son is choosing this, not anyone else.
Well as far as I know if it is all him. I know at 100% it is not coming from the family and when I asked at his last IEP, nobody knew where it was coming from. Maybe it's social bluffing, or maybe it is something else. Only time will tell

Well as far as I know if it is all him. I know at 100% it is not coming from the family and when I asked at his last IEP, nobody knew where it was coming from. Maybe it's social bluffing, or maybe it is something else. Only time will tell

At least he is interested and then he would more likely have a positive experience with it rather than a negative one like many of us had.

most deaf learn how to speak, and that's fine. He probably just want to know how just in case. Because he want to do it, it will motivate him to try instead of fighting. kinda like a person want to sign up basketball and really do his best... but if you sign him soccer, he doesn't want anything to do with it.

At least he is interested and then he would more likely have a positive experience with it rather than a negative one like many of us had.
Hopefully it will be a positive experience if he chooses to pursue it. We will support him either way.

Anyone who has been involved with the cochlear implant community
bear in mind that you've been involved with the AG Bell CI community. Which basicly represents the best of the best. Meaning parents who have access to high quality health care and good insurances, abilty to relocate to oral schools, and even probaly a lot of parents who have the suburban high acheiver mentality.
(ie the type of parents who would automaticly enroll their kids in auditory verbal therapy the way other parents enroll their kids in Kumon or those other "enrichement cram schools)
faire_jour.........we're not saying that kids with CIs can't acheive or do a lot.
Yes, there are kids who do well....but what you guys don't understand is that there have ALWAYS been kids who have done well. Even back in the 80's and 90's. That doesn't mean they don't represent the majority.
Also, even a lot of kids who do well academicly (ie all honors classes) still have significent social emotional issues or still need significent accomondations.

bear in mind that you've been involved with the AG Bell CI community. Which basicly represents the best of the best. Meaning parents who have access to high quality health care and good insurances, abilty to relocate to oral schools, and even probaly a lot of parents who have the suburban high acheiver mentality.
(ie the type of parents who would automaticly enroll their kids in auditory verbal therapy the way other parents enroll their kids in Kumon or those other "enrichement cram schools)
faire_jour.........we're not saying that kids with CIs can't acheive or do a lot.
Yes, there are kids who do well....but what you guys don't understand is that there have ALWAYS been kids who have done well. Even back in the 80's and 90's. That doesn't mean they don't represent the majority.
Also, even a lot of kids who do well academicly (ie all honors classes) still have significent social emotional issues or still need significent accomondations.

I find it so offensive that you think only a certain kind of person can be successful. My family is extremely poor (America poor, not world poor). We are on Medicaid and SSI. You keep saying that because we are not wealthy our daughter will not be successful. That is crap.

(ie the type of parents who would automaticly enroll their kids in auditory verbal therapy the way other parents enroll their kids in Kumon or those other "enrichement cram schools).

Ouch, DD, some of us don't agree that AVT -- while proven to be a great method for many -- is the ONLY road to success or the required method to bring out "the best of the best" in every child.

Basically correct. My experiences with the implant community have given me that impression that they are generally more optimistic than others hearing and deaf.

Putting down deaf people without implants.. And Rick48 wonders we are so hostile to him?

I find it so offensive that you think only a certain kind of person can be successful. My family is extremely poor (America poor, not world poor). We are on Medicaid and SSI. You keep saying that because we are not wealthy our daughter will not be successful. That is crap.

Is poverty a reason you are so obsessed with english fluency? I can understand it then, as english is a major gateway to collecting dollars. Don't take me wrong, I admire and respect any effort to "make it" in any society, but it don't justify putting down anyone that shows the smallest signs of a "relaxed relationship" to english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back