how much for interpreting per hour

netrox

Reaction score
let me clarify... how much does a deaf contractor pay for an hour or two hours of ASL interpreting? How much do ASL interpreting agencies or independent terps charge them? That's my question.

Depends on the going rate for your area, how much advance notice, day or evening, week day or week end, and how regular. Expect to pay a two-hour minimum, and possibly mileage.

Depends on the going rate for your area, how much advance notice, day or evening, week day or week end, and how regular. Expect to pay a two-hour minimum, and possibly mileage.

Ok, well, I expect one hour meeting once every week. It's a consistent schedule. I must have an interpreter for the meeting.

Ok, well, I expect one hour meeting once every week. It's a consistent schedule. I must have an interpreter for the meeting.
Sometimes with a consistent weekly appointment you can get a slightly reduced price.

There are so many variables, the only way you can get the price is to ask the local terp or agency. The sooner, the better so you don't have to pay the emergency short-notice rate.

You might be able to negotiate better with a freelance terp. The agencies have to charge more because they keep a percentage of the fee for themselves.

You might be able to negotiate better with a freelance terp. The agencies have to charge more because they keep a percentage of the fee for themselves.

That's what I was thinking... I'd think agencies charge a lot more and it may be cheaper to hire freelance interpreters. I could pay $80 per week (one hour) for a freelance terp. Is that too low?

If I were in your shoes, I would not worry in the least over the cost because I would write it off as a business expense. Which it is.

That's what I was thinking... I'd think agencies charge a lot more and it may be cheaper to hire freelance interpreters. I could pay $80 per week (one hour) for a freelance terp. Is that too low?
That seems very reasonable to me. However, I don't know what the common rates are for your location.

If you have a terp with whom you're already satisfied, that would be good place to start your queries.

tax write off would not equal 100% refund, depending on tax bracket. Say if you don't earn much in a year and falls in 10% tax bracket, then with that tax bracket, spent 80 dollars for terp as tax write off only saves you just 8 dollars on tax liablity, still have to shell out 72 dollars out of pocket ANYWAY. If one falls under 20% tax bracket then one will save 16 dollars on tax, yet shells out $64 dollars for terp.

One would be truly idiot to depend on the idea of "tax write offs" to save money and spend more unnecessarily. I would respect those who really need the service and pay for it and pay little less on taxes would be ok.

I would think differently if they are tax credits. So don't be fooled between tax write off and credits, they are huge difference in between. In other words, tax credits benefit the most while write off only writes off little taxes.

If I were in your shoes, I would not worry in the least over the cost because I would write it off as a business expense. Which it is.

Reba is correct, depends on quality of terp, and availability. The reason for minimum 2 hours which I can understand is to cover traveling expenses. Even if just one hour for 80 dollars, terp may pocket small or no profit at all after all expenses are paid involving traveling, maintain vehicles, insurance, etc. So, if two hours minimum then terp likely not to lose much.

I have run business and I wouldn't go anywhere if job is too small or take just an hour. Not worth my time and headache.

But some are more, and some are less, so $30-50 is a very broad average. :)

Try to find a gay interpreter for a boost savings with your flirtation. :lol:

Back