Votes: 35 46.1%
  • No - Never was

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Yes - Hearing loss made me quit though

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Yes - Learned AFTER hearing loss

Votes: 21 27.6%

• Total voters
wow pek! thanks. now you've got me coveting that first one! you gonna buy it for me? cause i'm broke! i am the man. the girl is my girlfriend and soon to be fiance. she's also an interpreter. she's not just cute, she's hot! so you may wanna see an eye doctor! i think you're missing out on a lot of other hot chicks out there as well, and we can't have that:)

Whether or not this would construed myself as a musician, played the piano for at least 9 or 10 years when I was much younger. However, I sure would love to play the piano once again...also, would love to get my hands on a set of drums...and rock on!! :D

I didn't vote as there wasn't an option for those who were born with a hearing loss-- :cool:

Other than that, listening to good o' tunes and.....singing in the shower gives me my 'fill' of being entertained and groovy! :lol:

~RR

wow pek! thanks. now you've got me coveting that first one! you gonna buy it for me? cause i'm broke! i am the man. the girl is my girlfriend and soon to be fiance. she's also an interpreter. she's not just cute, she's hot! so you may wanna see an eye doctor! i think you're missing out on a lot of other hot chicks out there as well, and we can't have that:)

Ask Roadrunner for the money. He's the moderator here and gets paid for it, unless he actually co-owns this site with Alex, which, in that case, they've got money to give to you for that one. Why didn't you like the others? Dang, I liked the one with the beer bottles, although you'd have to supply your own bottles and no, they cannot be pop bottles (different resonance and they won't work). :)

i'm all about the classic oldie organs. so the expiremental ones don't turn me on:) everybody join me in trying to convince roadrunner to buy me that organ! :)

Music Therapy

Yes I started to lose my hearing when I was 13, some kid in playground thought it'd be funny to slap my ears at same time, causing me to perforate both ear drums. I made sure he never did it again. However I still play guitar and sing my own songs. I teach Music Therapy to Deaf and Deafblind clients here in UK for RNID. It is very rewarding to see clients responding to vibration from the soundbed or (if sighted) reactions from the sound to light modules. We can develop this into a kind of interactive language but its not for everybody. Bit like in the hearing world, there are a certain percentage who don't get on with music but the majority that do use the sessions as a means of self expression and personal development. I have a few passions, one is for music and another is for deaf culture (my father went to Deaf School in Oldham as a youngster) I learnt fingerspelling from an early age, but it is only recently I learn BSL. Now I'm heading for Sydney I'll have to learn Auslan! I enjoy challenges...lifes what you make it! DeafboyOne

Nope, and probably never will be. I don't see any point in it since I can't hear it...lol. That's one thing I wish I was given a chance to try.

I'm genetically hearing impaired with a large number of hearing impaired family members. I tried to learn to play the guitar as a teenager but without hearing aids it was almost impossible. I gave up after 2 weeks. So.... fast forward 25 years later when I got digital hearing aids and was amazed at how much I could hear and I decided to try again because I just LOVE music, period. I've been taking private lessons for almost 4 years now and I play acoustic, electric and bass guitars. I would love to get together with some of you guys on this forum to just jam and see what we can come up with. It's a dream come true and I intend to take it as far as I can. How about an AD Caucus Jam in 2008?? :fingersx:

I'm genetically hearing impaired with a large number of hearing impaired family members. I tried to learn to play the guitar as a teenager but without hearing aids it was almost impossible. I gave up after 2 weeks. So.... fast forward 25 years later when I got digital hearing aids and was amazed at how much I could hear and I decided to try again because I just LOVE music, period. I've been taking private lessons for almost 4 years now and I play acoustic, electric and bass guitars. I would love to get together with some of you guys on this forum to just jam and see what we can come up with. It's a dream come true and I intend to take it as far as I can. How about an AD Caucus Jam in 2008?? :fingersx:

My nephew (professional musician) taught my son to play bass. He turned out to be a pretty funky little dude!

How about an AD Caucus Jam in 2008?? :fingersx:
That would be awesome! Let me see what I can do. Where would we rehearse before the event, though, since we all live far away from each other? :rofl:

My nephew (professional musician) taught my son to play bass. He turned out to be a pretty funky little dude!

Cool!! The more the better! I would like to meet your son one day and talk shop. Does he play on a regular basis or just for fun?

That would be awesome! Let me see what I can do. Where would we rehearse before the event, though, since we all live far away from each other? :rofl:

That, my friend, is the biggest problem of all. Not to mention all the equipment we would have to lug with us. It would be great if someone could coordinate all that and set up a sound system with amps, speakers, lights, etc. That would be awesome but for now it will remain......a dream.

Hello! Awesome to find other musicians here. I have played the piano and synthesizer since I 6 and started writing music when I was 9 and produced 2 CDs with my twin sister (also deaf) by the time we were in middle school. I also play the Cello, flute, dulcimer, bass and program synthesizers to create new waveforms for new sounds and use them in my compositions. My Roland D-50 synthesizer requires 450 parameters to make a good useful sound, it takes me 2 hours of programming to get a good sound. I write mostly new age, 80's, and Jazz compositions. I have never had lessons for piano because my mother thought I would be bored with it. I dont know what would have happen if I had though. Anyway my sister plays the violin and dulcimer as well as piano. She is not a synthesis freak like I am though. We went to a professional recording studio at age 11, what an experience that was! In 4th grade we got to skip reading time everyday to go and work on the school's synthesizer out in the music room learning how to record original songs to disk into the synthesizer. My hearing loss 88db across most frequencies have made it difficult to hear my synthesizers and my piano even when the speaker is 2 feet away, its still not loud enough, with hearing aids on it is. I still can not hear high or low frquencies with H.A.s. I have hearing at 88db from 250-2000kHz, a very limited range of freq.
I will play music until I leave the world. I have played everyday for 20 years of my 26 years of life, I cant go a day without composing, or writing a new program of waveforms. I am obsessed with synthesis because the possibilities are endless, you can never create the same sound twice. Anyway great topic. If there are any deaf or deaf-blind musicians here in Austin TX, the live music capitol of the world, let me know!
Keep jamm'n out!Loud too! :)

wow! lots of musicians! I play violin and used to play a little piano before I started high school... then i found I didn't have enough time haha :)

I played flute for a while in school, gave that up and the flute has since been sold. I also played piano and still manage to sit down once in a while. Even though I can't hear it, my fingers know when I make a mistake. Kids and family got in the way and I had to sell my piano after I got married. (There was no room in the condo) I now have an electric keyboard, but it does not have the full range of keys. Bummer!!

I voted "Yes - Hearing loss made me quit though" but I wouldn't say I've entirely quit. I'm just not playing in bands with other musicians but I do still write songs for myself and listen to a lot of music. But jazz is a style of music that really takes into account a lot of intricate sounds and subtleties so it's a harder type of music for HOH musicians. I've been looking into other types of music and maybe I'll look more into rock or something that is generally louder to begin with and has a lot of bass and drums and lyrics I can follow along with.

Maybe I should just do what Beethoven did and saw off the legs of my piano. :giggle:

I've never played an instrument, But have always sang. I started recording some of my parodies with midi backings when I got into writing them and now the quality of free midis on the web suck. Lets pick up this guitar and see if I can work with it.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

Bass player since my progressive hearing loss days. Gone through 3 basses, first two precision, 3rd jazz. During my improvised sessions with friends, I also did backup vocals - and no I will not demonstrate my siinging here! :P The stage for that is in the shower! :shock:

Back