HOH- being caught in the middle

sutina

Reaction score
With losing my hearing,sometimes I feel out of place. Hearing people can't understand why I can't hear the things they do. Hearing aids amplify everything like the crickets late at night. No I can't hear that siren. Ugh. Dr says hearing aids will still work for me. With all the noise from Meniere's and static in hearing aid, sometimes I wonder if being deaf would be better. Then I wonder would I be accepted in the deaf world, being HOH now.

To anyone with hearing aids, when I walk close to a wall where there is an electric outlet, my hearing aids will start buzzing/static, then when I walk away it's gone. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also wondering just how many people on here are hoh or deaf. Looks like alot of good hearing people here to chat.

Last edited:
I haven't had that problem with electrical fields for years. I don't really think the good new digital aids do that at all.

Maybe you should upgrade.

To anyone with hearing aids, when I walk close to a wall where there is an electric outlet, my hearing aids will start buzzing/static, then when I walk away it's gone. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also wondering just how many people on here are hoh or deaf. Looks like alot of good hearing people here to chat.

Yes, it's possible that you have T-Coil on, I don't know what kind of HA you have but there's sometime have toggle switch that switched from t-coil to mic mode. If you left on t-coil, you will hear all the electrical noise like ballast from the light or near the motor or large electrical current behind the wall.

Yes, it's possible that you have T-Coil on, I don't know what kind of HA you have but there's sometime have toggle switch that switched from t-coil to mic mode. If you left on t-coil, you will hear all the electrical noise like ballast from the light or near the motor or large electrical current behind the wall.

Yeah , I will forget to switched from t-coil to after I made a phone call and I will hear electrical noise when I am in my car or near my TV . I have a push button HA and I really do not like it. I like the HA that had the little switch that moved back and forth. I could feel the switch and know it in t 'coil mode .

I need to pull my paperwork to check on the T-coil. I haven't been able to par my HA to my HD TV, that's something else I need to fix. I just read caption if it's available. Netflix does offer most movies with CC, which makes it nice.

That probably explains why I hear this. At work, there's this one desk that someone works at in my department, when I close, my hearing aids just buzz and it's over quick as I walk away. It's the strangest thing to walk about the building and get that depending on what I'm near.

Laura

I guess this would come in handy if I was a carpenter getting ready to cut a hole in a wall. LOL.

I know how you feel sutina, I grw up hearing and have lost a good amount and I'm 23. I feel out of place and I never was much in the hearing world anyway, but I find being HoH seems to make the deaf world despise me for some reason and the hearing world think I'm retarded or something.

I too wonder if just losing the rest of my hearing would make me fit in in the slightest modicum, but I enjoy and always have enjoyed music too much to go entirely deaf. I don't know that I could live without music, albeit I have to crank it up loud to really hear it, not sure how my hearing aids will work with music in two weeks, but I'll get to that question in 2 weeks.

Anyway, just sharing the fact I understand how you feel as I'm sure more of us HoH people feel the exact same way. I use an amplifier in class right now and it picks up static from magnetic fields constantly in class, lets hope my new hearing aids won't do that as I too hate it. I'll be sitting in class and the professor walks by a metal trim part of the board, static or sits next to the computer, bad static.

Connecting it to a TV? I wonder if I could connect it to an ipod or something since I don't watch TV and video games I just put subtitles on.

I'm 24 and grew up Hearing. I totally get the "where the hell do I fit in, if at all?" thing. I feel like no one gets it. It's so isolating.

Hang in there. You're not the only one. Have you checked out the "ladjusting to late-onset deafness" post in "Our World, Our Culture"?

Nice to meet Saavik and Needsleep. I think the younger generation socialize more. So I can understand your feelings. Hey for me at 50+, it's family I am around. Don't have any friends to hang out with. LOL. Too old? I live out in the county. There are no hoh/deaf communities or organization here. I have searched but mostly there are events, communities, organization in the big city. I would need to drive at least 1 hour just to get there, then it's hoping I don't have any Meniere's attacks, because I would be by my self.
Saavik - I use to listen to music in my car, but not so much anymore. I have tried taking my HA (hearing Aid) out and getting earplug to listen to my husbands MP player. well that didn't work for me. Then I tried using those bigger headphones over my hearing aid will that didn't work for me. Not sure if anyone would know what works. When you get your HA I am sure your will be amazed how much more little things you will hear. Take time when you first put them in and hang around the office to make sure the settings are right. With having Meniere's my hearing will flucuate (sorry didn't spell right). I hope you got one where it can have muliti settings. I am on my third one. I only have one since I am deaf in my left ear. I have one of the newer HD tv's. and my HA is suppose to be able to connect/pare to it so I can have the volume come through my HA and don't need to turn up the volume. I wish I could get it to work. So for now it's using CC (closed Caption) whenever possible. Good luck with the HA. be sure to let me know how you like them.
Needsleep. - I have not seen that blog/post. I will check it out. Thanks,

Thank you both for making me feel welcome and have something to share. Hope to communicate again.

Nice to meet Saavik and Needsleep. I think the younger generation socialize more. So I can understand your feelings. Hey for me at 50+, it's family I am around. Don't have any friends to hang out with. LOL. Too old? I live out in the county. There are no hoh/deaf communities or organization here. I have searched but mostly there are events, communities, organization in the big city. I would need to drive at least 1 hour just to get there, then it's hoping I don't have any Meniere's attacks, because I would be by my self.
Saavik - I use to listen to music in my car, but not so much anymore. I have tried taking my HA (hearing Aid) out and getting earplug to listen to my husbands MP player. well that didn't work for me. Then I tried using those bigger headphones over my hearing aid will that didn't work for me. Not sure if anyone would know what works. When you get your HA I am sure your will be amazed how much more little things you will hear. Take time when you first put them in and hang around the office to make sure the settings are right. With having Meniere's my hearing will flucuate (sorry didn't spell right). I hope you got one where it can have muliti settings. I am on my third one. I only have one since I am deaf in my left ear. I have one of the newer HD tv's. and my HA is suppose to be able to connect/pare to it so I can have the volume come through my HA and don't need to turn up the volume. I wish I could get it to work. So for now it's using CC (closed Caption) whenever possible. Good luck with the HA. be sure to let me know how you like them.

I too live in the country, out in very rural appalachia, so there isn't much in the way of any group support for a single thing, except for religion, but I don't subscribe to that at all, so I have the internet or self reflection and stewing in some thoughts and feelings alone for too long isn't a good thing, at least for me.

For me, since my hearing loss goes to borderline severe (But still just considered moderate loss) and I don't yet have my hearing aids, I tend to just crank things way up, which is likely furthering my loss, but I do what I have to do in order to have at least a modicum of enjoyment in an otherwise bland and entirely non-purposeful existence.

I can't wait to get my hearing aids, so I can stop feeling tethered to the mic and ear buds thing in class. I was pissed off at my professor and wanted to leave and needed the mic part, but I couldn't get her to give it to me and I need it back after each class to pass to the next professor. I hate feeling so helpless and group activities, aside from anxiety, the fact I can't hear them doesn't help, so I sit there like an idiot until it's over. So right now, the idea of having my hearing aids is like gaining a bit of freedom.

Isn't there someone you can report this professor to about taking your ear buds? Apparently doesn't understand. Have you tired having a conversation with her asking her to either put ear plugs in for one day to see at least a little of what we go through? Besides here would there be a website where you could suggest to her to go read/educate on people with hoh/deaf problems and why HA and ear buds are so important for our daily lives.
Out in the county here, there are no religion places to go. So yea, just sitting here. I am getting more into texting instead of phone calls. Trying to learn other ways to communicate by using internet, and I know a little ASL but no one to use with. Husband will do for maybe one day but then he falls off the bandwagon. CC has been very helpful. It took a little time to get to reading faster. Since we only have antenna the reception is poor at times so there goes the CC. Just gibberish.
I know you will be really pleased with your HA's.

Hello, New to the site and to the culture as well. I am HOH but I do not want to misrepresent myself I do still hear a variety of sound. I am able watch TV or listen to music with the volume up loud but have found that my biggest problem is communicating with people... I get so tired of saying.."what?" or "HUH" over and over again and having people make fun of me by saying that I am getting old and that's why I can't hear... [I am 41] so most of the time I just pretend I know what they are taking about. Over time I have learned to lip read somewhat and rely on that when trying to carry on conversation with someone. Only problem with that is most people do not carry on face to face conversations anymore and I can not carry on a conversation if a person isn't facing me. I want to start learning ASL so that I can incorporate it into my daily life. Is there any good free online sites that will teach me?

Hello, New to the site and to the culture as well. I am HOH but I do not want to misrepresent myself I do still hear a variety of sound. I am able watch TV or listen to music with the volume up loud but have found that my biggest problem is communicating with people... I get so tired of saying.."what?" or "HUH" over and over again and having people make fun of me by saying that I am getting old and that's why I can't hear... [I am 41] so most of the time I just pretend I know what they are taking about. Over time I have learned to lip read somewhat and rely on that when trying to carry on conversation with someone. Only problem with that is most people do not carry on face to face conversations anymore and I can not carry on a conversation if a person isn't facing me. I want to start learning ASL so that I can incorporate it into my daily life. Is there any good free online sites that will teach me?

http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/75825-links-websites-learning-asl.html

I get that, on the bus going over the (electric) train lines it is awful but even proximity to cables can buzz in my ears.

I also wonder if there is a way I could just go deaf and not have to put up with the odd sounds I hear, it is not especially useful and causes daily problems.

H.A.'s never worked for me being I am profoundly deaf, so I wen't the C.I. route a few years back. I don't think I've heard of any deaf friends I have complaining about electrical fields.... As Bott said, I'd consider an upgrade, sounds like you're working with an ancient H.A. :laugh2: I mean, I have a C.I. and that's a heck of a lot more stuff to interfere ( magnet, processor ect ect ) and I don't have any such issues. :dunno: I'd definitely get that looked at especially thinking about all the walls with outlets out there..... :eek3: That's a lot of interference!

Ok I have talked about hearing the electric wires in the walls. Has anyone had any trouble with their HA having a pop/crackling sound when the storm/lighting is real close? Now I am wondering is there is something wrong with my HA.

Last edited:
Back