Help!!

InsomniacBunny

Reaction score
*My friend is helping me write this because I'm not too good with the computer*

I'm 18 years old and I live in San Diego. I have lived in different foster cares all of my life but now that I'm 18 I can't live there anymore. I'm staying in a state run transitional living place right now but I only have 30 days to find a place to live.

I have never had a job because I've never stayed in the same area for very long because of foster care. But I need a job now. I'm having a hard time finding one. Can anyone recommend a good company that hires the deaf. I have my GED, and am willing to do anything. I've heard of job coaches, could someone explain that to me?

Also I don't think I can stay in San Diego because its too expensive to live. I have enough money saved to take the bus somewhere and move there. Does anyone know of a good place to live with lots of jobs, and a good deaf community? I don't have any family so I'm willing to move wherever I could find a good job.

Thanks for your help.

deafdyke

Reaction score
Too bad you have your GED already. If you didn't, you could have the state send you to the school for the Deaf, for a place to live. (dhh kids can stay in school til they are 21-22)
Are you hooked up with social services? They have VR counselors for the deaf and hard of hearing.

InsomniacBunny

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I am in touch with Social Services but they haven't been much help. When I got out of foster care I didn't have a place to go so Social Services found me this place. But they haven't been much help with my job search. What is VR counselors?

Sunshine1

Reaction score
Hello ... VR is a Vocational Rehabilitation. To find state office for this agency, check this website and contact them to help you.

RSA

Also you could try to contact Deaf & Hard Of Hearing Services and ask for their help as well. click here too

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services - Specialized Services - Department of Rehabilitation

Also try this

San Diego
Deaf Community Services
3930 Fourth Ave., Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 398-2440 (TTY)
(619) 398-2441 (Voice)
(619) 398-2444 (FAX)

Deaf Community Services - San Diego, California

Lust2636

Reaction score
The Resources in San Diego are GREAT, its just a matter of getting them OK'ed. Many places will educate you and re-educate you, even having graduated HS or gotten a GED, if they can deem you "unfit" to work, they will re-train you and teach you new things... you can also get college credits or a 2 year associates in many places, for just the price of the books, they pay for the courses...
Your mileage may vary... but when i was in SD, its one of the better places ive lived... (Back in NY now)
-Paulie

Hello ... VR is a Vocational Rehabilitation. To find state office for this agency, check this website and contact them to help you.

RSA

Also you could try to contact Deaf & Hard Of Hearing Services and ask for their help as well. click here too

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services - Specialized Services - Department of Rehabilitation

Also try this

San Diego
Deaf Community Services
3930 Fourth Ave., Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 398-2440 (TTY)
(619) 398-2441 (Voice)
(619) 398-2444 (FAX)

Deaf Community Services - San Diego, California

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was a coach job and does assist deaf people find jobs.!!! Its helpful! ;):)

Find a roomate too!

Good luck

Roadrunner

Reaction score
:bump:

Thread moved here as well as making it 'sticky' during the time user has--seeking help and answers.

~RR

Interpretrator

Crime fighter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bunny, the Goodwill in Long Beach (closer to L.A. than San Diego) has a whole vocational system set up for deaf people, or at least they used to last I knew about; they are also affiliated with a sign language interpreting agency, LINKS.

Here's the contact info for Goodwill:

General Information: (562) 435-3411
Fax: (562) 495-1447
TTY: (562) 590-8588

info@goodwillsolac.org

For LINKS:

LiNKS Sign Language & Interpreting Services
Chuck Scarpaci
(562) 495-9681
cscarpaci@linksinterpreting.com

LiNKS web site American Sign Language Interpreting Los Angeles/Long Beach

Good luck!

Watsontonita54

Reaction score
hello this is Ms.Tonita watson I,m deaf . I will help to me ok? I find need roomate to me but so I no place street it I first time me to me I will plan looking get. Job and apt it

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
hello this is Ms.Tonita watson I,m deaf . I will help to me ok? I find need roomate to me but so I no place street it I first time me to me I will plan looking get. Job and apt it
This was posted back in 2007. I don't think they still need help