help me out?

allybird220

Reaction score
Hello, i'll try to keep this short and simple..uhm ok so
i'm a senior in highschool and right now we are doing senior projects..my essay is on the challenges that deaf people face in a hearing society..last week my teacher gave us the assignment to interview someone that would help us in our research papers, so i'm here to ask if anyone would be alright with me interviewing them for my project

Hello, i'll try to keep this short and simple..uhm ok so
i'm a senior in highschool and right now we are doing senior projects..my essay is on the challenges that deaf people face in a hearing society..last week my teacher gave us the assignment to interview someone that would help us in our research papers, so i'm here to ask if anyone would be alright with me interviewing them for my project

It might help if you said where you are, you are supposed to actually meet the person you interview?

Why not interview in person? I would rather interview ASL students in person over online.

we have the choice between e-mail and personal...the problem is i dont know anyone in person who is deaf, so this is the next best thing..

"Many Deaf people in society face challenges, the greatest of which is the pressure to do hearing students' homework for them. In this essay, I will discuss the exasperation I was met with when I spoke to a group of people fed up with being treated like lab rats."

:P

"Many Deaf people in society face challenges, the greatest of which is the pressure to do hearing students' homework for them. In this essay, I will discuss the exasperation I was met with when I spoke to a group of people fed up with being treated like lab rats."

:P
Don't you know that the sole purpose in life for a deaf person is to be available to hearing students for their homework assignments? Why else would there be deaf people?

;)

we have the choice between e-mail and personal...the problem is i dont know anyone in person who is deaf, so this is the next best thing..
Why on earth do teachers continue to give this assignment to students?

Do the teachers of Spanish, French, and German do this? What do the Latin students do for live subjects?

Have you at least checked out meetup.com ? There are deaf meetups where you can show up and meet deaf people and do possible interviews.

Also, have you at least tried searching this forum? We get a lot of people like you asking what it's like to be deaf and all. It might be easier and better to just review this forum. Here's an example: http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/90...eals-difficulties-faced-hearing-impaired.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-news/95895-understanding-health-info-challenge-those-born-deaf.html

And here's a funny but true thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories-49.html You can easily spend all day on that one.

I'll admit the search function isnt' fantastic so you might want to use google, just use a query like so: site:alldeaf.com [your search term]

for example:

site:alldeaf.com growing up deaf

that will get you all matches for growing up deaf.

If all else fails, I'll help you out with an email interview. I am currently writing a book on my experiences living as a deaf person and would help me as well!

Why on earth do teachers continue to give this assignment to students?

Maybe we should create our own survey to address that question. Send it to those teachers by way of their students who come here. It could have an introduction clarifying why it's such a bad idea, then a set of questions testing their understanding of this information. Then a request that they pledge not to do it anymore. And if they refuse, a last set of questions trying to determine what's wrong with them.

Maybe we should create our own survey to address that question. Send it to those teachers by way of their students who come here. It could have an introduction clarifying why it's such a bad idea, then a set of questions testing their understanding of this information. Then a request that they pledge not to do it anymore. And if they refuse, a last set of questions trying to determine what's wrong with them.

I like amylynne's idea but also have some understanding of the students that are stuck with these assignments. Because of my own hearing status I have tried to find out about ways to make contacts in my small town and have not found any. They may turn to places like this site when things like Google turn up nothing to go to where they are.

I like amylynne's idea but also have some understanding of the students that are stuck with these assignments. Because of my own hearing status I have tried to find out about ways to make contacts in my small town and have not found any. They may turn to places like this site when things like Google turn up nothing to go to where they are.

I feel like your motivation is more legitimate. Theirs could stop with a little enlightenment on the teachers' parts. I had plenty of fantastic ASL classes, and I've been encouraged to go to Deaf events or watch Deaf films (which are available to buy no matter where you live) - none of my classes included the assignment to do these sorts of interviews.

And I agree, the students are sort of stuck in the middle - that's why I'm thinking about the teachers.

Don't you know that the sole purpose in life for a deaf person is to be available to hearing students for their homework assignments? Why else would there be deaf people?

;)

We're the next best thing for the OP's project. Doesn't that made you feel all warm and cozy knowing we're lab rats ?? I think there should be a study on deaf rats , cats and dogs and see how they cope in the hearing world.

We're the next best thing for the OP's project. Doesn't that made you feel all warm and cozy knowing we're lab rats ?? I think there should be a study on deaf rats , cats and dogs and see how they cope in the hearing world.

They only run into problems when they get into the deaf world and people want to teach them to clap and use ASL>.

;)

ok obviously i didnt mean it like that..i mean no offense at all, i am simply here to get some help on my paper topic
there is no need to be rude at all because it wasnt my intention to offend anyone..i am genuinely interested in the deaf community and ASL, and i think your all strong individuals for having to put up with certain people who can hear and their ignorance. Honestly though i think my question is valid, what are the challenges you all have to face in a society where we rely heavily on our hearing..this isn't a question i can bs because i dont know these things, and i would really appreciate someones help.

ok obviously i didnt mean it like that..i mean no offense at all, i am simply here to get some help on my paper topic
there is no need to be rude at all because it wasnt my intention to offend anyone..i am genuinely interested in the deaf community and ASL, and i think your all strong individuals for having to put up with certain people who can hear and their ignorance. Honestly though i think my question is valid, what are the challenges you all have to face in a society where we rely heavily on our hearing..this isn't a question i can bs because i dont know these things, and i would really appreciate someones help.

What you're not understanding is that this issue is a DAILY issue. Day after day after day we get brand new posters ( such as yourself ) that don't introduce themselves, and just hop right in to HELP ME WITH MY HOMEWORK! Would you ever just go up to someone and ask for help with homework without properly introducing yourself? No, it's rude and lacks tact. Now, if you introduce yourself it's because I've called you on it and doesn't make up for your prior lack of manners.

Secondly, we get a million and one threads started to help students every day. Seriously, every friggin student in ASL hops on here and just jumps right in! No, hello how are you? No formal convos or anything. you just wait so damn last minute for your assignment so you have to jump right in! So rude.... You act rude, you're going to get rude and short replies, you asked for it.

Lastly, I'll state again, you think you're the only one on here to ask for help with homework? It happens on the daily, and nothing is quite as annoying as logging on seeing that you've missed 800 requests to help ASL students with their assignments. Do you know what that's like? Well, it makes you feel like a damn lab rat as previously quoted. Oh look, this student wants to make an account here and interview me. They don't want to get to know me, talk to me, introduce themselves or ANYTHING! They just want to use me to pass their assignment.

Well, good luck because I'm pretty sure you're not going to find your student answers here with that attitude and approach.

You have to understand, however, that people come here and to other places where there are disabled people online and they ask them these questions for homework year after year after year.

You cannot possibly take offence at us tiring of this. We are just people, we are not here to educate the world about our disabilities. You're almost demanding that we respond to your request. Why didn't you just ask, instead, about how you can find this information with a real person locally, instead of assuming we'd be all happy to do this? If strangers online, mostly high school kids and a few college kids, asked you how you manage to function in your world many times a year, year after year, wouldn't you be tired of being asked that, and feeling as if you're just worthy of a few questions by people who don't even stay to become part of the community you're in? You didn't even answer our questions where we tried to help you find someone locally by telling us your area so we could give you some local deaf resources. You have to give the same courtesy to others.

Makes me wonder if there's a single teacher on earth who would have the cajones to ask their students to walk up to a person in a wheelchair or who uses crutches to ask them blatantly about their experience without any introductions before...

Exactly. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It pi**es me off to no end. They come on here, ask for help and are never heard from again. Oh but "They want to learn about deaf culture and mingle with the deaf!" Oh yeah, until their homework is done for them..... then it's off and away until they need some help again or whatever. Profoundly annoying to say the least. I also love how they all seem to think they're the only ones on here that thought of coming and asking for help. You know for once, I'd like a Hello, how are you! This is a little about me ect ect. Maybe interject an opinion here or there that I can laugh at or something. Then they can ask their damn assignment questions. That might be nice..... but probably still not really, as I'm still in my little tube being poked at with pens. :doh:

I still put a lot of the blame on the teachers. They're the ones who should know better.

Back