Hello

CoffeeCat086

Reaction score
My name is Rachael. I am hard of hearing and low vision as well. Born prematurely at 26 weeks, I have had low vision my whole life. Hearing worsened gradually over time. I wear hearing aids and like inch thick glasses to see about three feet clearly. Both are hit and miss usability. I use Braille though with intensely strong reading glasses I can read about an inch from my face. I am FINALLY receiving services for both from my state and they are going to start teaching me ASL. My son gets quite frustrated (he’s 6) and tends to get right up to my hearing aids to speak LOL.
So they are going to teach both of us. I am the only one in my family with either issue. (Am I repeating myself?) and the others aren’t willing to learn TBH. They just kinda shout and hope I get it. Realizes it as it was happening, but had to reach out myself since family support is kinda non existent. In the disability area anyway. “I’m an adult who knows what I need better than anyone so do it for myself “ so I do. Put off getting services until I was almost hit by a pickup truck. They have new really nice about helping me though.

Anyone else here who can relate?

Back