Hello.

BeckiGreen

Reaction score
Hello. my name is Becki Green,I'm 40 years old and I live in Murfreesboro,Tennessee. I'm a hearing person,and I'm trying to learn ASL. I'm learning through the Internet and books,since there are no ASL classes in my area.

Last edited:
:welcome:

This is a Deaf camp in Murfreesboro:

Bill Rice Ranch - Home

Thanks for the Welcome! I knew about the Bill Rice Ranch, I called them and they don't offer ASL classes. They said their program is like a summer camp program and school. I'm 40 so I can't go to their school. Thanks for trying to help me find an ASL class,I appreciate it.

big hello

Thanks for the Hello! I love your avatar! I cannot figure out why my avatar is sideways. I uploaded it from my iPad, the pic looks fine on my iPad,it's not sideways. It doesn't load up sideways on Facebook,so I'm not sure what I did wrong when I uploaded it on this website.

Welcome Becki :wave:
You can being volunteer at camp...why not?

:wave: I've called the camp. I asked about volunteer work and they said they would call me if they need anyone. This Bill Rice Ranch is like a summer/ church camp. I will gladly volunteer there if they need me. But if I'm going to be spend time there, I need to know ASL to communicate with the deaf,yet they dont offer ASL classes. I'm still trying to learn ASL through books and websites and Apps on my iPad. I see your in Romania. We have a large population of Romanians living in Middle Tennessee. I see them all the time. Very nice people! I also like watching documentaries on Romanian history. I just saw a movie, Tales from the Golden Age ( Amintiri din epoca de aur) that was very good.

Last edited:
well I live in Greeneville TN and I go to a class once a week...........but I think that's like 4 hrs away........... soooo maybe call vocational rehab services or local libraries see if they can help

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

MTSU has a Sign Language Club. You can also take courses at Bridges in Nashville. There is a Deaf Coffee Chat in Murfreeesboro at the Stones River Mall on the last Friday of every month. If you want some really great DVDs, the Nashville Public Library has one of the biggest and most complete collections of Deaf DVD videos and ASL learning videos in the country. The best part is if you don't live in Davidson county, they'll ship the videos to your door. They have videos from just beginning to highly advanced. I suggest checking it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTSU has a Sign Language Club. You can also take courses at Bridges in Nashville. There is a Deaf Coffee Chat in Murfreeesboro at the Stones River Mall on the last Friday of every month. If you want some really great DVDs, the Nashville Public Library has one of the biggest and most complete collections of Deaf DVD videos and ASL learning videos in the country. The best part is if you don't live in Davidson county, they'll ship the videos to your door. They have videos from just beginning to highly advanced. I suggest checking it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I went to the ASL coffee chat at stones river mall last night. I was in the food court for 2 hours but no one showed up. Security guards were looking at me funny,because I kept walking around the food court staring at people,trying to see if I saw anyone using ASL. Maybe someone will show up next time.

Thanks! I went to the ASL coffee chat at stones river mall last night. I was in the food court for 2 hours but no one showed up. Security guards were looking at me funny,because I kept walking around the food court staring at people,trying to see if I saw anyone using ASL. Maybe someone will show up next time.

Strange. I just looked at the Facebook group board and at least two interpreters were there, and there's usually a contingent of older Deaf who show up. I'll try to be there at the end of February. Also, if you're interested, Deaf Night Out is this Friday at JB's Pour House in Hermitage from 6-9pm. There will be many Deaf there.

~ Audrey Arndt, hearing, ITP student

:wave: I've called the camp. I asked about volunteer work and they said they would call me if they need anyone. This Bill Rice Ranch is like a summer/ church camp. I will gladly volunteer there if they need me. But if I'm going to be spend time there, I need to know ASL to communicate with the deaf,yet they dont offer ASL classes. I'm still trying to learn ASL through books and websites and Apps on my iPad. I see your in Romania. We have a large population of Romanians living in Middle Tennessee. I see them all the time. Very nice people! I also like watching documentaries on Romanian history. I just saw a movie, Tales from the Golden Age ( Amintiri din epoca de aur) that was very good.

So go on! Learn,teach ASL,Becki :D
Maybe it's so hard but never...ever give up,for you!
Yeahh is nice that movie Tales from the Golden Age

Audrey, I promise I circled that food court for like,2 hours. I saw 2 younger women using ASL, I went to them and signed ASL coffee chat, I also asked them without signing it, and they said no,they had never heard of the group. Odd thing is, is they left 5 minutes later. I guess the 2 women were just friends practicing ASL? I even took my book, the American Sign Language handshape dictionary with me. I kind of held the book facing out wards so in case some saw me they could approach me,since I didn't want to keep asking anyone there if they were with the ASL coffee chat. The food court wasn't very busy actually. I may go to the gathering in hermitage. I used to live in Hendersonville Tn,and Madison Tn so I know where hermitage is. I've been in Murfreesboro for two years now.

Abelusca, I'm going to learn ASL if it takes the the rest of my life to do so! But without classes I'm using pidgin ASL, which is bad from what I've read, but with no teacher it's the best I can do using books and websites. I also like learning about Romanian history,especially the Romanian revolution. I'm going to watch a documentary on Netflix tonight about Nicolae Ceaușescu. It is 3 and a half hours long.

Last edited:
You would able to learn ASL much better if you stop leaning.

Hurleysrus,Yes, I'm using lifeprint, handspeak.com and I bought an App called Marlee signs for my IPad. It's by Marlee Matlin. I just wish that every county or city in the USA would offer free ASL classes. People have said to go to college and Learn ASL, but I cannot afford that since I have 2 daughters in college right now. And we did not get financial aid,we missed the financial aid cutoff by a couple thousand bucks. So I'm pretty broke at the moment. But if I could find a ASL class open to the public I would pay for ASL classes, I just can't afford to go pay college tuition for myself. Maybe I can in 4 years but not right now.

Last edited:
Back