Hello, i'm going Deaf. Should I learn ASL?

the_strongest_angel

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Angel. I am 18 years old and due to genetic(chronic) illnesses I have started going deaf. I am really scared, and just want to the basics like; should I learn ASL (my family wants to), get a cochlear implant, or just stick with regular hearing aids?

I know some ASL but i need to know more I think.

I just really don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP.

-Angel

Last edited:
Learn ASL...no matter if you do decide to get a CI...HA...or whatever. Since ur speech is still intact, you will be immersed into both worlds and lip reading is fine too...Good Luck!

Welcome to AllDeaf!

Since you said your family want you to learn ASL, will your family learn ASL to communicate with you? :hmm:

:welcome: to AllDeaf! Yep, you can learn ASL if you want to! I'm glad that your family encourage and support you for learning ASL. That's so awesome! I hope they will continue to communicate with you.

Hello, My name is Angel. I am 18 years old and due to genetic(chronic) illnesses I have started going deaf. I am really scared, and just want to the basics like; should I learn ASL (my family wants to), get a cochlear implant, or just stick with regular hearing aids?

I know some ASL but i need to know more I think.

I just really don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP.

-Angel

In order to have CI, you have to be profound deaf and become an candidate for CI by your doctor.

You must have residential hearing loss to have hearing aid(s) especially strong hearing aid(s). Go to the Audiologist to have hearing test for audiogram to find out how much hearing loss you have. The audiologist will find the right hearing aid(s) for you.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. :D

welcome to allDeaf angel.
Its good you are here.
Indeed learn ASL. Its fantastic your family wants to learn with you...awsome. awsome!
As for ci. You need ci as much as you need a hole in your head..be weary of white coated docs itching to drill into you angel.
Sign is the superior technology, period. It can be used in more enviroments, hws no drilled holes in your head, no wires attached,no third party multi national profit deiven coprerations with their best interests in mind not yours.
Sign is free. And portable. Its power lies in the human mind and heart not in wny snake oil tech.
Fear not the sign girl
Sign will set you free!!

im HOH and researched both CI and hearing aids and found that if you do get them there is NO 100% chance you can hear ....it does NOT work for everyone ive learned ASL is the best choice and it wont cost you $1,000's of dollars for a small chance in hearing again i suggest you continuing learning ASL :) best of luck to you

im HOH and researched both CI and hearing aids and found that if you do get them there is NO 100% chance you can hear ....it does NOT work for everyone ive learned ASL is the best choice and it wont cost you $1,000's of dollars for a small chance in hearing again i suggest you continuing learning ASL :) best of luck to you
In addition to these very valid points (I'm in the same boat and have come to the same conclusion), if you learn ASL you can still communicate when the batteries die, you misplace your device, there's a ton of background noise, etc.

So even if you do go for CI/HA learn ASL too, it can't hurt. Personally I've found it enjoyable and enriching to learn so far (still a total newb though). And since your family wants to learn ASL too, it'll be even more enjoyable. I've been learning with my wife and we've both been enjoying it greatly.

Getting Hearing aids or CI in no way prevents you from learning ASL. So yes learn ASL
If you decide to get HA or CI in future Ethan it's just another tool in your communication toolbox. If you have a progressive loss, you will probably f-ing hearing aid will provide a lot of benefit for a long time to come.

It is all up to you if you want to learn ASL as it is the most visual way to sign ASL with the Deaf community and to be able to understand with ASL interpreters in public places like doctors, meetings, theater plays (if they have ASL interpreters) and other important places like court. If you want to learn how to lipread, it is not always easy to lipread as you can not hear the sounds of the voice clearly. You can pick the sounds some of it, but you probably can not make out about 30% of what the hearing people said.

That is why I like ASL the best. This is my kiss fist (sign meaning "favorite"). Because you are late deafened, you probably would be comfortable to sign ASL. So it is all up to you whatever you need for your accommodations. Good luck.

In order to have CI, you have to be profound deaf and become an candidate for CI by your doctor.

You must have residential hearing loss to have hearing aid(s) especially strong hearing aid(s). Go to the Audiologist to have hearing test for audiogram to find out how much hearing loss you have. The audiologist will find the right hearing aid(s) for you.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. :D
I've done that. I go the 25th for hearing aids. I've Lost The upper And Mid Register IN My ears.

Angel are you still in school? Maybe a good idea might be to do a semester or a year at a Deaf School, to learn ASL via immerisan. I know its tricky b/c if you're still in school you're most likely a senoir, and its hard to work around senoir year.......But maybe deaf summer camps might be a good idea too.

Greetings, Human of this planet!

Since you are going deaf (I'm so sorry to hear about this but remember, you are not alone and not be fret, you have us to keep you at peace and plenty of resources to supply you in your time of need which is now and whenever you so need or desire it) and if you wish to communicate with people again, then your best bet is one of the following option(s) or all of them if you so desire and have the will-power to do so!

1). Cochlear Implants..;
2). Hearing Aids
3). ASL

All of which is very beneficial to your life! :)

If you wish to live a life of being a mute, then do nothing and continue to live your life as you are now! However, if you wish to communicate after you become deaf, then doing one of the following three(3) option(s) I presented you above is the best way to go so please and I strongly encourage from the bottom of my heart to learn ASL or get Hearing Aids and/or Cochlear Implants.

ASL is the best way for you to communicate, through the beautiful art of body, hands, arms and face emotions! You may think it may be hard to learn and master ASL but let not be panicky as with due time and patience, you will learn and master ASL and you shall become a very fluent person in the art of ASL!

Getting hearing aids or a Cochlear Implant is a great way to go but with getting those, comes maintenance and costs! It will require you for the rest of your life, to maintain the functionality of you're hearing devices!

If you learn ASL, it will require you to learn ASL for a few years and there is no maintenance to that but merely learning and who doesn't love to learn? I certainly love to learn!

I wish you the best of luck as I possibly can give you! I will pray for you and always remember, you are not alone! There is a lot of people on here that will help you. Encourage you. Support you and most importantly, love you for who you are!

- Mega

cooltext1879335321_zps0a259104.png

You will enjoy learning ASL. Catch a glimpse of how beautiful the language is in this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnAofkVHZOQ[/ame]

States vid is not availible....
Mmmm...
Was it a poetry vid?

You would have to go to a qualified audiologist to get a better answer on whether to get cochlears, hearing aids, or whatever. Some people cochlears will help a ton while some it won't benefit at all. You might want to see if your insurance, if any, covers cochlears or hearing aids.

I happen to notice you're in georgia, if you're in the gainesville area, a good hearing aid dealership is at http://www.gainesvillehearing.com/

cooltext1879335321_zps0a259104.png

You will enjoy learning ASL. Catch a glimpse of how beautiful the language is in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnAofkVHZOQ

This is a video from really good music interpreter signing the piano and song.

States vid is not availible....
Mmmm...
Was it a poetry vid?

I am surprised that you could not tell the difference between the music and poetry. The music interpreter is not signing poetry. Just signing the piano and the song. The video is really cool. She is fluent. :thumb:

Edit: Hoichi, you could not get the video on your computer???? I am sorry that you did not get it. Ouch! :(

Back