Hearing ITP student

Audrey Arndt

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Audrey Arndt, I'm 33 years old, and I live in Nashville, TN. Currently, I'm in the interpreter training program at Nashville State Community College. The program is the only official interpreter training program in all of west and middle Tennessee, but it's being shut down. When the last of the students in the program graduate, the program will officially be over. I'm really sad about that. Currently, I'm in ASL 4 and Sign-to-Voice I. Afterthought his semester, I need to take Interpreting 1 & 2 and Sign-to-Voice 2 to graduate with an associates degree. After that, I want to go to a 4-year college. I think Gallaudet would help make me the best interpreter that I can possibly be, so that is an option. I work very hard to learn the language and the Deaf community means a lot to me.

Many Deaf ask me why I got interested in learning ASL. I don't have any family members who are Deaf and I didn't have any Deaf friends before I started ASL 1. For my final semester of earning an Associates Degree in computer science, I saw that ASL 1 was offered. After going to my first event, I fell in love with the people and the culture. There's more to it than that, though. I'm transgendered (I was born a boy, now I'm a girl) and I've suffered through humiliation, discrimination, and persecution just for being who I am. It sucks. When I started getting involved in the Deaf community, I saw how awful Deaf were treated by hearing people and it reminded me a lot of the pain and anguish that I have felt. So, I've used that as motivation to try to educate hearing people as best as I can. I encourage everyone I meet to learn ASL, I correct people when they do or say ignorant things (like that ASL isn't a real language ), and I continually try to educate myself so that I better understand the differences in culture and perception between hearing and Deaf. Really, I just want to see Deaf treated as equally as everyone else and treated like human beings.

Anyway, I hope you all don't mind that I'm here to read, comment, and contribute to the conversations.

~ Audrey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! I've enjoyed exploding AD a lot already.

~ Audrey Arndt, hearing, ITP student

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Just enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. I am glad you are having fun. :wave:

Hey Audrey!
I'm hearing as well, and also have a great passion in ASL and the in Deaf community. I'm taking the Interpreting Training Program at Troy University online, and I must say it has been so helpful especially interacting with my professors which most of them are deaf, and practicing my skills with my classmates.
I really enjoyed your story, and we should definitely skype sometime!!

Olu.

Hello fellow interpreting student Everything you said is spot on and similar to my thought process. My babe is Valerie and I would love to hear about your experiences working toward your career goals in the field.

Back