Hearing Assistance For Vehicles - Driving On The Road

What products. if any, are available to help us know that a siren is going off while we are driving?

• Yes there are products available.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing is available yet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is what I do to drive safely.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Nita Thomas

Reaction score
Safe Driving is important. What products are available to help the deaf or hearing impaired to know when a siren is going on while driving? Specific -- to alert us where to look and to pull over if needed. This is for Police, Fire, and Emergency Vehicles. Sometimes they pull up and I really am shocked to see them. Sometimes I can tell there is a need to pull over, but when I don't know -- gosh that is nerve racking. What do you do?

We look in our rear view mirror all the time. If you're not looking in your rear view mirror you should start.

We also have side mirrors as well as rearview mirror, I scan mirrors as I drive to I know and expect what is behind me.

At a stop sign or light... scan both ways in intersection to make sure no one runs red light/stop sign as well as no emergency vehicle approaching.

My city has a warning light for when an ER vehicle is coming and the all traffic lights turn red . Our streets don't have a lot of room to pull over so there needs to be a warming light.

My city has a warning light for when an ER vehicle is coming and the all traffic lights turn red . Our streets don't have a lot of room to pull over so there needs to be a warming light.

I think you meant to say warning light. But I had to grin at a warming light. They want to warm you up before the vehicle comes through?

We also have side mirrors as well as rearview mirror, I scan mirrors as I drive to I know and expect what is behind me.

At a stop sign or light... scan both ways in intersection to make sure no one runs red light/stop sign as well as no emergency vehicle approaching.
I already do that... but the issue really is one of not hearing the sirens... and seeking some sort of techy aid to help discern the directions before viewing the vehicles.

I believe the lights work out just fine. Even with hearing people a lot hear the sound before they can even see them, so being able to hear them is not always useful but rather distracting.

I have perfect hearing and I still can't always discern from which direction the sirens are coming. The direction of sound can be deceiving. Seeing the lights is most important.

Thank you Reba, so this issue is not really limited to my deafness at all. I thought that my high frequency deafness was the reason I could not discern what direction the sound was coming from. The lights do work to clue me in just as they do for you.

That would really help to prevent a lot of those stupid accidents that we read about. I wonder what it would cost or take to get that done in every city.

Back