Give me a job!

DeafBajaGal and Shel90, have you two ever considered working for the USDE at its OCR (Office of Civil Rights) division? I believe OCR oversees the Deaf/Special Education one. They could use serious help from educators like you helping to change the way/how Deaf/Special Education (?) students are educated in schools.

That's a good idea...I never thought about that before. I'll look into it tonight.

DeafBajaGal and Shel90, have you two ever considered working for the USDE at its OCR (Office of Civil Rights) division? I believe OCR oversees the Deaf/Special Education one. They could use serious help from educators like you helping to change the way/how Deaf/Special Education (?) students are educated in schools.

My husband has been telling me that I should work there. I guess I can look into it and go from there.

Hell no way livin in DC area! Too much for me, especially the traffics and crazy streets down there.

No way I would wanna live in DC area. :giggle: Good luck on your job hunt as well.

I don't know how much you're getting paid but sounds like you're being underpaid for it. You have to ask yourself how much do you think you're worth. "Overworked, underpaid" workers are the most profitable assets for their employers because they know most are afraid to ask for a raise or the workers just don't know any better - they are simply not aware of their real value.

Another thing is - maybe you managed your time ineffectively... meaning you spend too much time doing what you do.... on unprofitable tasks. What I'm saying is - let's picture this classic famous example by Harvard professor (a time management expert).

The professor kept a large jar on his desk. There's another box filled with stones - many small stones and some large stones. He asks his students - how many stones do you think can fit into this jar? and everybody made a guess and then the professor filled the jar and asked the students - "is the jar full?" Students would think Professor should fill in many small stones to try to fit in as many stones as possible.

Point is as he said - "if i hadn't put the large stones in first, I would not have been able to put them in at the end, because there would not have been enough room. The large stone represent the important things in life - the most profitable one. and obviously small stone are the one that are insignificant and of a small value but consumes your time.

So.... what am I saying? Know your value! How much do you think you should be worth! Tackle only big stones that brings in $$$$$$$. Don't concern yourself with small stones by accepting bunch of favors that are time consuming and unprofitable. You have a teaching job... and you should be a private tutor after school. Both are a nice big stone. When you take in too many small stones at your work... you end up having no time for anything.

I hope this great wisdom helps because it helped me.

This thread is old. Since then, more and more duties have been added to my job but no pay increase. As a result, I have applied for 4 different jobs this week alone. I will continue to apply for jobs...about one job a day as the application process is time consuming. I am finished with being underpaid. I have been teaching for 11 years and I should be on step 11 but I am still stuck on step 5. I make what a 5 year teacher makes and with costs, taxes, and pension going up each year, I continue to bring home less and less.

What job was that if u dont mind my asking?

As for working 50+ hours...I can totally relate..my hours are supposed to be from 8 to 4 but I go in at 730, sometimes even 7 and leave around 430, sometimes even at 5 and I dont get paid extra for it..I do it cuz I want the provide the best lessons for my students and if I showed up at 8 and left at 4, my lessons wouldnt be as organized nor as effective. Also, I feel like 8 to 4 is not enough hours to complete what is needed to be completed so 7 to 5 is perfect but it does make me burnt out so I try to limit them to 730 to 430. Still that makes me work 45 hours a week without any extra pay.

Now, it is at the point where I am showing up one hour early everyday just to keep my head up over the water.

I know the feeling. A lot of people have had their hours cut. I was full-time until they cut my hours to 25 hours a week. :(

This thread is old. Since then, more and more duties have been added to my job but no pay increase. As a result, I have applied for 4 different jobs this week alone. I will continue to apply for jobs...about one job a day as the application process is time consuming. I am finished with being underpaid. I have been teaching for 11 years and I should be on step 11 but I am still stuck on step 5. I make what a 5 year teacher makes and with costs, taxes, and pension going up each year, I continue to bring home less and less.

I understand how you feel. That is why I am starting my company to create job instead of applying to many companies. For me, try THREE THICK 3-ring binders FULL of lists of companies I applied for. Those each notebook binders are three INCHES thick! I had enough of s*** from companies so I am working hard to get my company up and running THEN I will be hiring Deaf people to work for me. It will be mostly Deaf people employed under my leadership. By the way, sorry no teaching position. It is a manufacturing company. Hmm... You just gave me an idea. Will get back to this as I figure out.

I understand how you feel. That is why I am starting my company to create job instead of applying to many companies. For me, try THREE THICK 3-ring binders FULL of lists of companies I applied for. Those each notebook binders are three INCHES thick! I had enough of s*** from companies so I am working hard to get my company up and running THEN I will be hiring Deaf people to work for me. It will be mostly Deaf people employed under my leadership. By the way, sorry no teaching position. It is a manufacturing company. Hmm... You just gave me an idea. Will get back to this as I figure out.

Keep us posted-- sounds interesting (I'm currently looking too-- IT lol)

I can do just more than teaching. I love to coordinate events so I am searching for a job in that field. If u open a position of coordinating RV events, I would apply to that one! I am good at multitasking as it is required to be able to handle a teaching job.

:wave:SGRVCorp and Shel - good luck for both your endeavors!

Shel, though I just "know" you through the forum, seems you have deep dedication, talent and awareness for whatever you do - employers lose out for not hiring you!:hug:

Now, it is at the point where I am showing up one hour early everyday just to keep my head up over the water.

If you are working 8 to 4 with an hour for lunch, you would actually only be working 7 hours per day, 5 hours less than a regular work week. If you are working 7:30 to 4:30 and do not get paid for lunch, that's reasonable because most institutions don't pay for someone to have lunch. Anything over that amount would actually be more work.

Do you also get summers off? What is actual vacation time?

If you are working 8 to 4 with an hour for lunch, you would actually only be working 7 hours per day, 5 hours less than a regular work week. If you are working 7:30 to 4:30 and do not get paid for lunch, that's reasonable because most institutions don't pay for someone to have lunch. Anything over that amount would actually be more work.

Do you also get summers off? What is actual vacation time?

I also being home work as well. I spent all day Sat working on IEps. no extra pay. I work wayyy more than most people on a meager salary.
Until your are a teacher, you probably will never understand.

:wave:SGRVCorp and Shel - good luck for both your endeavors!

Shel, though I just "know" you through the forum, seems you have deep dedication, talent and awareness for whatever you do - employers lose out for not hiring you!:hug:

Thanks...hugs. :)

Back