Getting approval to date from significant other's parents

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
One friend of mine was upset. His girlfriend is 26 years old. She wants him to meet her parents. That way, they can approve her dating him. He thought that being 26 years old is too old to be asking for approval. I disagree. I don't care whether you are 22 or 52 years old. If you want me to meet your parents so that they can approve us dating, I'm all for that.

Age does not really matter! My parents always tell me what they think of my boyfriends.

Age really doesn't matter when you get old. However, age matters significantly if a person is below the legal age limit and the other person is older, thus, dating an underage person!

Besides that, asking for permission to date ones child really isn't necessary because what if they say no? Are you going to listen to them and not date, even though you have much love for that person?

Truth is: If you're feeling it with that person, and that person is feeling it for you, then it is irrelevant to ask for permission.

Take life by the horns and YOU do what you want.

Yup! :D

Approval is nice....but for adults its just a nice measure...what happens if they disaprove?

Approval is nice....but for adults its just a nice measure...what happens if they disaprove?
They sneak out the back door, get knocked up and have a screwed up life....well for the most part anyways.

I took it to mean not requesting permission to date the guy but seeking acceptance of him. More like an affirmation of her choice of boyfriend.

She's already been dating him so obviously she didn't need to get her parents' permission to date.

Yes, they've been dating for a little bit. It may look sully asking for acceptance, but each to their own.

plain good manners meet them is he asking for hand in marriage

As I got older in my adult years, the happier I was NOT seeking my parents' approval to do something. They're adults & don't need approval from anyone who to date

I will admit I not give toss what my parents said I just generlizing

As an adult... it seems a bit premature to ask for parents approval to date... if I am inviting a guy to meet my parents it is because there is something more to the relationship... luckily my parents do not get involved with my life in such depth and do not need to worry... requesting a hand is cute and old fashioned and yes does make parents feel good...but what if they say no or show displeasure? They two will not break it off but it will now open the door for a lot of discontent between the four people.... granted my parents have always been pretty open minded about my love life, not all parents are as open minded as that...

if thinking getting married or something like that then it good manners and kind to tell parents also it nice to think parents and girl friend all friends and like each other

Back