gay interpreters.

Stereotyping, aka profiling, based on appearance is frequently criticized here at AD in other threads, so why not this one?

Also, I thought people didn't like their sexuality judged by surface appearance and mannerisms.

Are there not masculine gay men and feminine lesbians? Are there not dainty looking straight men and tomboy straight women?

It's usually liberal people who complain that conservative people do too much judging of books by their covers.
.... so? that's not my problem. if people has problem with gay people, well that's their prerogative. however - they will become my problem if they started being anti-gay to my gay friends.

behavior.

no. social deaf events. they terped for us and me during my stand-up comedy
That makes more sense. I like to have a good time, too, but not when I'm interpreting a bad news doctor appointment, funeral, work disciplinary meeting, parent-teacher conference, IRS audit, etc.

That makes more sense. I like to have a good time, too, but not when I'm interpreting a bad news doctor appointment, funeral, work disciplinary meeting, parent-teacher conference, IRS audit, etc.

I'm sure they know better and they do. If they're a good conversationalist and expressive, that would mean they can relay the message (even bad news) effectively to deafies.. enabling them to understand the gravity of situation better.

if not - there are other terps they can choose for certain situation. Not every terp can be used for all kinds of situations.

I'm sure they know better and they do. If they're a good conversationalist and expressive, that would mean they can relay the message (even bad news) effectively to deafies.. enabling them to understand the gravity of situation better....
I'm sure they can.

My point is, it is the skill, experience, and ethics of the individual interpreter that is important, not the sexual orientation (party-hearty attitude, age, race, religion, weight, sex, ethnicity) of the interpreter. :)

I'm sure they can.

My point is, it is the skill, experience, and ethics of the individual interpreter that is important, not the sexual orientation (party-hearty attitude, age, race, religion, weight, sex, ethnicity) of the interpreter. :)

well - sexual orientation does matter a great deal for clients otherwise... we wouldn't have such a request for a same-gender pat-downs or female gynecologist :giggle:

I don't always prefer a gay terp over straight. Anything is fine with me as long as one is competent.

I must say, as a professional interpreter, this is the first time I was aware that one's sexuality was important to the job. I can truthfully say that it never came up in any of my assignments.

I'm curious. How do you know that your interpreters are gay? Do they introduce themselves that way? Do you ask?

Hello Reba. :)

I don't ask interpreters about their sex orientation, unless they tell me when we are discuss about topic like issues with GLBT rights, families or religions, however I'm hardly to assume if they are gay or not, usually if I see someone who is in love with other man, or other girl if lesbian.

I just respect their sex orientation, also I'm bisexual too.

Wirelessly posted

Mm. To me, all terps are same to me except their personalities.

interesting issue

I am HOH Aspie, and I use a "terp" for a few situations (doctor appts, OT, etc). I identify as gay, but I have never had any problems with "terps" because of "orientation" issues.

I have noticed that several, not alot, but not a little either, of interpreters are gay and with a deaf person or whtever.. Or sometime interpreter is gay and single.. I have had about 3 or 4 interperter who intepret for me whom was gay/lesbian.

Also another thing i noticed.. when i see a realllllly hot boy or sooo cute or whatever, it ends up they are gay.

And your point is? Why does sexuality have to be distinguished? Who cares?

What difference does it make at all?

None.

BINGO! I don't give a damn about trep as long as they do the job good!

It shocked me that there are so many discriminating going on in deaf community. You'd thought after experienced being discriminated so many time, they'd at least not be so discriminating.

I'm a straight guy but have a couple close gay and lesbian friends, have done a couple works for GLBT community, and even attend some GLBT event just for hell of it.
One thing I really like about them is, they are way less discriminating toward the fact I'm deaf than most hearing people are. So I'm sure they knew how it feel to be discriminated, so they try to not do it because they know how awful it is to be discriminated.

I've found that with the GLBT community as well. I'm straight, too, but my gay friends are far more accepting about the challenges that I have than hearies.

Me too, but then again, I am from the San Francisco area.

Alot more people are open minded now and more accepting of other's sexual preference so more and more people are coming out of the closet.

I especially agree with you about the hot (damnit! he's gay!) guys part.

I don't care what the person's orientation is. They could be into monkeys for all I care, just as long as they do their job and do it well.

The reason the field is dominated by gay men is because we love to talk. Think about, being able to talk to someone without saying a word. How Wonderful is that. I'm a 21 year old gay male and I want to get my NIC really bad. I just love being able to chat with people in the Deaf community, as well as I feel that there is a lot to be learned from them. Plus what could be more perfect then talking about a cute guy, without them know about it. :-D

Interesting idea. In my sign language class it was almost all women; only two men ever came over a 6-month period and they were both quite obviously gay. There does seem to be something going on here!

Back