Gaallaudet = special needs?

TWA

Premium Member
Reaction score
Was perusing through craigslist today for Deaf-related posts and came across this:

Culinary Operations Director at Special Needs Liberal Arts College

Keep in mind that this is a recruiter who wrote the job description, but is anyone else just a little bit ticked off by this? I mean, "Special needs liberal arts college." Really? Good grief.

You wouldn't expect that type of verbiage from someone who works at a "Special Needs College" such as Gallaudet. It's almost funny.

Edit to add: just re-read OP. I hope people at Gallaudet see that and send the company a little memo to help educate them.

Yea, I wonder who wrote that!

One of the most annoying special need AD'er graduated from Gallaudet, that DID NOT tell you something?

One of the most annoying special need AD'er graduated from Gallaudet, that DID NOT tell you something?

No, he didn't graduate from Gallaudet. He graduated from Harvard (extension).

No, he didn't graduate from Gallaudet. He graduated from Harvard (extension).

I was confirmed by someone who work for Admission Office in Gallaudet saying that he GRADUATED from Gallaudet University last MAY.

ill look it up when i get home. im at my boys basketball practice/game. im speechless about that one.

On the other hand...One of the things that EFFING annoys me is the fact that the mental disabilty community has preempted the terms "disabled" and "special needs.", as euphanisms for mental disabilty, b/c mentally retarded is now verboten. And god, I'm just waiting for someone to get upset about someone else using the term "retard" as in slow. When I was little, I was in a special needs preschool....and it was for ALL kids with all kinds of disabilties.

But I do agree with you. Gally IS a disabilty(not inability) college...but not a special needs one.

Hrmm...I haven't ran into Matajan while around Harvard campus and taking a class here. Thank god.

If Matajan was taking a class at Extension school...I'll wager that he won't pass my economics class at all. It's quite rigorous, even for Extension school, despite what you guys may have thought of. If you don't believe me, contact me to see my economics problem sets and see if you can solve them for yourselves. :P

Back