Fox and Grapes Anotated

Berry

Reaction score
This was quite a bit of work. Took me all day. I realized I talk one way, sign another, and write a third. Kind of like working in three languages at once.

But I stumbled across annotation and I think it may be worth it. It seems to me if a person cannot understand ASL then they might not understand some of the conventions, such as placement.

With annotation I can put a word, such as grapes or rock in a place and leave it there so non signers can more easily keep track of my spatial indexing.

If some people prefer the original version I have it on my computer so I can run both on my account.

Let me know what you think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuPuvqpLzg]YouTube - Fox and Grapes Anotated[/ame]

That should satisfy everyone. I liked the original because I like to read lips with sign.

But this should be very good for everyone. I hope to see many more. :applause:

look great! Thank you :)

I do not want you to spend all day writing caption though. Captioning is nice to have but I know it is time consuming. It is much better and more convenience if I learn ASL instead.

caption or no caption, you are great storytelling and you put a smile on my son's face because he loves listening to you and watching the beauty of sign languages.

Hmmmm. I thought I could upload both versions, but youtube won't let me. Must be either one or the other.

That is a disappointment to me.

Part of the reason for the uploads, and simcom, is so it will help people get a handle on ASL especially the more enjoyable aspects, such as story telling.

This is one reason why I do a lot of repetition in the story. It is enjoyable for children and it helps fix things in our heads.

So one question is, "Does it help you or your son to learn?"

The viewers can turn off the annotations if they want to.

Thanks for the effort... odd... now I know what you're saying via the captions, I can identify the words auditory.

Hmmmm. I thought I could upload both versions, but youtube won't let me. Must be either one or the other.

That is a disappointment to me.

Part of the reason for the uploads, and simcom, is so it will help people get a handle on ASL especially the more enjoyable aspects, such as story telling.

This is one reason why I do a lot of repetition in the story. It is enjoyable for children and it helps fix things in our heads.

So one question is, "Does it help you or your son to learn?"

I am not Lighthouse, but I think I can guarantee it is a good learning tool.

It similar to my teaching of my granddaughter , age 3.

And she enjoys and learns. :)

BRAVO!! thanks a lot. You are a very good story teller. Encore! Please may we have another?

I thought it was great and it will help me to learn my ASL as well. You are a great storyteller. It reminded me of my father telling me stories as a child and he would sound out all of the characters. (That was before I lost my hearing)

Kudo's from a late-deafened adult!!!

I don't know where the little blushy guy icon went. I think you embarrassed him and he is hiding.

Me too.

:ty:

Heads back to youtube.

:hug:

I must thank my parents for exposing me to all kinds of communication methods as I just sat back and totally relaxed when I watched your Aesop's Fables video.

More please honey, I love it!

I prefer the one without annotations because I learn by what I see and I understood you clearly the first time around.

Souggy is correct. I finally found a little button in the right hand lower corner that turns annotations off.

But first I am going to post some more videos, then I will think about annotating them again. It takes a lot of time and I don't have that much.

yes, it helped me learn alot. I learned what grape is in ASL now and such LOL

I caught my son trying to imitate your signing and that's a good thing because it means he is learning. This is a nice thing to do for CODA (except mine have grown up without the signing and it is not working out to well either) and deaf children. And some hearing children of hearing family too but I'm not sure they'll watch it as they have no exposure to deaf culture .

"Have very little to offer the Deaf community" my butt. You have a lot to offer.

Look at Lighthouse, Bottesini, Nan, Kristina... and Bucket... well everyone who posted on your threads... not to mention people on YouTube will be circulating your videos.

Keep coming out with new ones.

Please keep posting as those who are not exposed to any ASL/ Deaf culture will take a vested interest in your vlogs.

ASL students as well as ASL interpreting students have to do Aesop's Fables to show Classifiers, Metaphors, Morphemes, Locatives as well as HandShapes.

:hmm: hey this is good idea for me to improve my ASL! I will join your cause, Berry! Now I gotta find me baby story......

I realized why I like your background. It look like a father telling a bedtime story at night. When is it dark with very little light.

Please keep posting as those who are not exposed to any ASL/ Deaf culture will take a vested interest in your vlogs.

ASL students as well as ASL interpreting students have to do Aesop's Fables to show Classifiers, Metaphors, Morphemes, Locatives as well as HandShapes.

Yep... posted it on Facebook and my blog to help the ASL students I know of.

Yep... posted it on Facebook and my blog to help the ASL students I know of

Do you think it would do good if I were to make some "about" videos like "About Fox and Grapes" discussing why I did some of the things I did, rather than something else. Perhaps discussing placement, Fox and Grapes has a lot of it... etc.

:hmm: hey this is good idea for me to improve my ASL! I will join your cause, Berry! Now I gotta find me baby story.....

Not as easy as I thought it would be. I do not load them straight up to youtube because there is a limit to how much of an idiot even I will make of myself.

In real life if I make the wrong sign or start to I will just erase it and move on, but you don't want to do that on a video. Then even though I thought I knew what I wanted to do in Fox and Grapes it struck me the fox wouldn't just try jumping a couple of times, so here I am staring at the camera while my mind is thinking "so what would he do...." then I came up with the idea of him rolling the rock under the vine.

Even so in this final version I realize I left out him drooling over the grapes.

So I did it 30 to 40 times before I finally got it as good as it is.

Of course I don't seem to be able to just leave things alone. I can't just do Aesop's fable the way I find it: I have this compulsion to add details.

I realized why I like your background. It look like a father telling a bedtime story at night. When is it dark with very little light

I was thinking about changing it, maybe I should leave it the same.

Your choice.

I am just exposing ASL to learners through clips other than those so-called interpreted music videos. with all the signed YouTube videos out there, it's hard to find Deaf-centric ones if you don't know where to look.

When I sign, I sign from my heart.

I even did a vlog response to your vlog yesterday.

[yt]Wv0BRvo4o0I[/yt]

Please feel free to check my videos at YouTube - DBAdvocate.

Back