For parents or wants to be a parent

ShEiLdTaLiSmAn

Reaction score
I have lil argument with my mother about Pacifier.

What do u think of ur daughter/son having them? Why is it important to u to let ur kid have them?

There are PROs and CONs to it. I gave my daughter them and she will only have it before shes 1.

I look at my sister who don't give her sons pacifier but 1 lil boy got his teeth pulled out. Maybe the 2nd son would have that same ends...but he is another story. (Autism) The reason they might get the same end of it... the bottle are like pacifer to them and they use it.

My mother is totally against it because it ruins the teeth and what the main reason to it. Thats her side point of view.

I keep telling her its smoothing to them.

So,... my questions above...answer them please, thanks!

fuck no, it sucks bec it can causes teeth fuck up and plus ear infection. my dr told me so we never bought it for my daughter and her teeth is so great

My daughter have been using pacifier since she was born and NEVER NEVER had an ear infection... She will be three years old in two months.... her teeth looks fine to me.... but there is ONE big problem it is very hard to break her habit.... She is still using pacifier on and off for bedtime only.. she couldn't live without her pacifier at bedtime... I did tried to not give her at the bedtime and she will cry and scream for thirty to forty-five minutes finally she will wear out and fall asleep and I really don't like that... it makes me feel bad.... so there is a pro and con about pacifiers but it is all up to you.... you are the mother and you are the one who make those decisions not anyone else :) so wish you a good luck making decisions :)

:dunno:

i REALLY dont see any reason why a child cannot have a pacifier -- it seems to have a soothing effect on the child and calms the child down and it also helps with those that are teething and can use pacifier to just "chew" on it for a bit if the child isnt hungree and dont wanna his/her bottle of milk, juice whatever yet

My daughter never had a PACIFIER before. When she was born.. about few days later.. I thought I could put a pacifier in her mouth .. she didnt like it as she spit it out so I dont put it in her mouth.

I do not know why they create a pacifer.. they think that there is a way to stop them from cry or think that they can drink something from that pacifier? I would need to get any pacifier for any of my kids in the future.

vvti low rolla - fuck no, it sucks bec it can causes teeth fuck up and plus ear infection. my dr told me so we never bought it for my daughter and her teeth is so great

It was funny when you made a comment about that. It's not true. It has nothing do with ear infection or teeth.

My two kids didn't like pacifer once they got out of hospital. I have notice nurse keep push back in and I said If they don't want it just don't force them the nurse said "sometime you have to train babies to get used to it" I was soo "Argghhh" but couldn't wait till go home and I would "test" see if they want it or not. I wouldn't force them they spit it out so I threw it out !

but ear infection?? and teeth rotten ?? Nah not from pacifer. My little sister had paci for 2 years I believe. so she stopped after that her teeth is beautiful....
Rotten teeth came from bottlefeed in bed without parents hold it (thats what Im told by few places doctor, hospital, WIC) etc My friend did that to her daughter and she had to have her four teeth pulled out when younger :( So. It is really pro-cons on this. If you feel comfortable and the child/baby is comfortable sucking the pacifer then go for it. If not then don't go for it :) Never mind on your mom or dad. You're the parent!

Wendy ;)

Sheilds....
Yes they are PRO and CONS about pacifers.. Since I have 5 kids now.. the first 4 kids are all grown-- they had pacifers till they were almost 2. Now my baby allen... He have pacifers.. I dont see anything wrong with my kids teeth..
Why pacifers? secuirty just like sucking thumb.. and blankey..
If your daughter is using pacifer and helps to smoothing the fussy or go sleep.. just like blankey..
If your mother worry about teeth.. tell her I dont see anything wrong with my kids.. it doesnt mean ruin their teeth.. same thing my neices/nephews (my man's side)didnt have pacifer.. but had braces or teeth pulled..
For one thing.. ear infections :nono: its not true.. but drinking bottle while sleep or in bed or lay flat on back.. its more most likely to get ear infection.. I dont let baby Allen to have bottle with him in bed.. I learned my lessons after i had all 4 kids.. they had ear infections (last 2 kids are not that much).. they had bottle in bed.. even messy too.. and hard to wean them out till they were almost 4.. eek! I am not planning to have baby Allen to have bottle.. he will wean out in couple more months. :D
I hope things working out for you Sheilds..

MsGiglz -- what abt if the child was given bottle of WATER -- that shouldnt be too bad for the teeth better than milk (spoils) or juice (stains) id think -- i dont see any reason why a child shouldnt have his/her bottle with water to bed with them granted yes can be messy but at least child will have water there for him/her to find in the middle of the nite and drink a lil and go back to sleep -- and u have a point -- if a child isnt given a pacifier he/she would take up thumb sucking (or other finger sucking if not thumb)

Juice isnt good either.. It can cause their teeth like rotten if they take it 2 sleep with it.

To have a pacifer.. I dunno what does it has to do with it if it has nothing inside? But it helps to comfort them?

Mmmmm... ear infection with pacifer in bed... I think its totally myth but okay.

Just curious since I'm the first timer...does the pacifier make the hungry go less. Not eating bottles like it should. It seems it got less and less with my daughter. I am thinking if it contiunes.. I might take pacifier away from her and hopefully bottle issue gets better. please help me out.
thanks.

If she seems hungry .. all you have to do is to feed her to satisfy her.

I was breastfeeding my daughter for entire 9 months. She seems hardly to cry and all. She was very good baby.

If you feel that pacifier was neccessary to continue.. that's fine with us. It wont effect to your baby.

Between 1964 and 1975, at least 7 healthy American babies choked to death on pacifiers, according to medical journal reports and Consumer Product Safety Commission statistics. During that time, hundreds of babies experienced near-fatal suffocation, cardiac arrest, brain damage and lesser injuries after swallowing poorly designed pacifiers.

I think you mom concerned about that. During in 60's-70's. Why not about now? It is getting better than before.

Consumer Product Safety Commission proposed pacifier safety standards
It has been observed by parents and doctors that very few babies, who have used pacifiers in their early months, ever turn to thumb-sucking. On the other hand, a fair proportion of the pacifier babies continue to want the pacifier until they are 1 - 2 years old, and a few til 3 yrs old.

also, prolonged (beyond the toddler period) attachment to any sucking device can contribute to misalignment of the primary teeth. Often it's persistent thumbsucking, not pacifiers, that is a common cause for orthodontic problems.

That's difference btwn pacifier and thumb-sucking

That's interesting.. My 3 year old son used to have a pacifier but he himself stopped at 3 months old and prefer to suck his own fingers looking like "ILY" sign.. but doesnt do that often tho, only at bedtime since it helps him fall asleep and relax..now my other son, who is 4 mos old now does suck on pacifiers, not all the time.. just sometimes when he is in the mood.. mostly he depends on his stuffed animal dog attached to blanket and cuddles with that to soothe him and helps him sleep..

My 3 year old used to go to bed with a bottle of milk or juice and he never had any problems with his teeth, its healthy and white, i guess because when hes falling asleep he takes it out and puts it aside, not leaving it in his mouth. He never got ear infections either, only once but that was not while he was on bottle.. ;) Really, I don't see anything wrong with having the baby on pacifier, it doesn't do anything to the teeth or ear infections, that's no such thing..if the baby wants it since it calms her/him, then let her/him have it..

dreama, did i say that in my think? nah, thats what dr just told me so it's old shit, my daughter is 3 years old, i ain't fuckin worry :mrgreen:

dreama, did i say that in my think? nah, thats what dr just told me so it's old shit, my daughter is 3 years old, i ain't fuckin worry

You ought to research some more. :D

You can just listen to your doctor all you want. Like there are some pros and cons about pacifier.

they have been making Pacifier's for a while that are especially made so they don't mees up the babies teeth

Hrm...if you want to break a baby's habit of using a pacifer..just use hot spicy juice on it..and let the baby cry when it tries to put it in the mouth. :p

My dad did that to me..but however, it didn't work on my youngest brother...he's used to hot food now. :p

I'm not a parent, but I do work with kids, so I'll toss in my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

The only 2 reactions a baby is born with are grasping and sucking, a pacifier is naturally soothing for them. Like Eternity mentioned, not all children like pacifiers, and sometimes they only like used pacifiers, meaning you have to suck on it for awhile before you give it to them, I guess it's kind of like breaking in a new pair of pumps ;) I have one boy in my class that just turned 3 and the only thing stopping him from having that thing in his mouth 24/7 is coming to the day care where it's well known that only babies have them. Cutting your child off at 1 year old sounds like a good plan. My only other piece of advise is that this is YOUR child, talk it over with your husband and everyone else can kiss off.

Back