For Parents only

Cheri said:
I would like to see a new principal at my son's school because that principal is one lousy one. I loved the one they used to have a woman because, she never stood me up with interpreters when I needed one. But this Principal in school always lied to me about getting interpreter not once I had an interpreter this year. I am tired of him apologizing to me, I feel like he is too lazy to call and ask for one. There another parent who is deaf at my son's school that I've already met and she is also upset at the facts that the Principal didn't provide her an interpreter either. We didn't have one for the music concerts this year. :(
Is probably becuz they thought you can talk like you told me also your son is hearing why do you need to fight an interpretour for him when he can talk I dont understand your quote. Its not the principal job , I think it yours .Mines a woman principal she works with me but mine is deaf your is hearing what are you saying .So tell us you told me you dont sign why teach him sign when he has a good mom I dont understand your question.

harleymn said:
Is probably becuz they thought you can talk like you told me also your son is hearing why do you need to fight an interpretour for him when he can talk I dont understand your quote. Its not the principal job , I think it yours .Mines a woman principal she works with me but mine is deaf your is hearing what are you saying .So tell us you told me you dont sign why teach him sign when he has a good mom I dont understand your question.

You do not understand my post at all. Before amusing ask me if you do not understand. The interpreter is for me, not my son. and Yes all schools are responsible to provide an interpreter. You should know that. I never told you I don't sign, And it is not my son's responsible to interpreter for me.

Meg said:
My daughters school never provide interpreters for me, not even at parent-teacher conferences because they claim that since the school is parochial, thus exempt from ADA.
I think they are legally correct. If the school does not accept any tax money support, then they are not required to provide interpreters. However, I think the school should show a good attitude of support for parents and provide a terp for meetings and special programs. It is not a good Christian testimony to refuse terp services.

Reba's right.. Most privately owned schools who do not get fund from State or Federal would not be required to provide interpreters. If Deaf parents have hearing kids, and there's a parents and teachers conference, the state/federal funded school is required to provide interpreter for the Deaf parents.

Cheri said:
You do not understand my post at all. Before amusing ask me if you do not understand. The interpreter is for me, not my son. and Yes all schools are responsible to provide an interpreter. You should know that. I never told you I don't sign, And it is not my son's responsible to interpreter for me.
you told me you dont sign on im message that you talk sorry ,I never heard alll schools have to have interpreter !! mine doesnt or my son school either .

harleymn said:
you told me you dont sign on im message that you talk sorry ,I never heard alll schools have to have interpreter !! mine doesnt or my son school either .

No, You misunderstood me I said I don't sign as good that doesn't mean I don't sign at all. Did you ever asked if the school provide interpreters? If a parent is deaf; They have to provide interpreter for the parent if the child attend school. How are they going to know about their own child when there no interpreter? :)

My suggestion is for to get 2 school buses instead of one bus and come to pick the pupils up at point time instead of 15 or more minutes waiting. The bus comes always late… The pupils miss their lessons. I would not like to leave the children stand at bus stop during cold weather or rainy for that delay bus.

You can image that over 100 pupils in one bus with 50 seats which it’s too crowd and plus school bags. Uncomfortable situation. We protest for years to have 2 buses but it’s still the same due German Government’s budget!

We also complaint to police during parent evening, too. Surprise, the police can’t do anything against school bus because it belongs German Government. Police would do something when we have crowd in my car or without car belt, etc. Unfair!

We protest for years to demand that the pupils need to improve their education, after school time. Our protests are successful at last after years. They started to do that last September. The principal hire students to teach the pupils from 5th class. My son like student and show more interesting on his program which good.

Sometimes I’m fed up with teachers because they get my children to interpreting for them when they want to talk to me. I told them to not use my sons to understand me but learn themselves to understand me. They get an interpreter for me when there’re necessary and also parent evening meeting.

The new principal since last September improves everything better than old principal. (He’s pension). They give the pupils from 3rd class instead of 6th class English lesson.

One thing, I dislike is: 15 and 16 years old pupils are allowing to smoke during break time at smoking area only. I told the teachers during parent evening that I am disagree to this because of small children around and suggest them that if the teenagers want smoke then do it after school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The teachers said that they can't do anything unless they get the approval from pupils's parents!!!!!!!! "What a joking", I say to myself! :-o

Deaf258 said:
Reba's right.. Most privately owned schools who do not get fund from State or Federal would not be required to provide interpreters. If Deaf parents have hearing kids, and there's a parents and teachers conference, the state/federal funded school is required to provide interpreter for the Deaf parents.

I agree as I am fully aware of that. Since my girls are now in 4th and 2nd grades now, I m used to not having interpreters. I do believe that they should go out of their way to provide me an interpreter but with the Archidiocese going bankrupt due to molestation lawsuits, there isnt much money left.

When I was growing up, they never allowed me to have special services like notetaking or get support services from Portland Public Schools. They said if I wanted help, I have to walk out of the school and walk across the street to this building where I could get support services since it was a neutral building.

Reason why they wouldnt allow anyone from Portland Public Schools to come inside to help me with my studies was that they wanted a clear line between church and state.

I was forced to walk out to get that twice before I gave up because it was humiliating for me to have my classmates stare at me out of the windows while I m getting help from a special ed teacher. I was the only deaf student so that didnt help.

So that is why I ve lost faith in getting my needs met at parochial schools. I simply tell the teachers to EMAIL me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheri said:
No, You misunderstood me I said I don't sign as good that doesn't mean I don't sign at all. Did you ever asked if the school provide interpreters? If a parent is deaf; They have to provide interpreter for the parent if the child attend school. How are they going to know about their own child when there no interpreter? :)
sorry i guess you know everything but not me, i fight for my son right why do i need an interpreter when you said you know little sign how do you keep up 100% then ?also you are single too like me what does parents like us have anything to do with me/you asking them if they provide interpreter ?

harleymn said:
sorry i guess you know everything but not me, i fight for my son right why do i need an interpreter when you said you know little sign how do you keep up 100% then ?also you are single too like me what does parents like us have anything to do with me/you asking them if they provide interpreter ?

I already said my piece if you do not understand I am sorry. But, I am not going to repeat it again. *sigh*

Cheri does have a right to request for an interpreter at school so she knows what's going on with her son. Without an interprter, what if there is a misunderstanding or they don't tell her everything of what happened about her son? Think about that! Cheri said she doesn't sign well but she still have a right to have an interpreter so she can make sure she understand of everything going on at school with her son.

MMM...i don't like the school didnt set up for Xmas song from my daughter which i did asked for an interpreter from last year. I was upset but otherwise i did enjoyed to watched my daughter in class from Song. Other thing, they did bring "so English sign lanuage" interpreter which was so slow signs. There is more problems for communication which I asked them to buy TTY/Phone for Deaf parents but they never did get one. Oh well. School bus was no problem for me so far.
Mommyof3

I think more schools should provide qualified terps for Deaf parents.

Another neat idea that some teachers do is include at least one program song in ASL and voice, that everyone can enjoy without interpreting. It is very cute to see children signing, and it gives sign language awareness to more people, that they can become more comfortable about signing.

Our interpreting agency sends a representative to each school to speak to the principal about interpreting services. The rep explains ADA requirements, and the practical reasons for hiring terps for Deaf parents. Such reasons as better parent/teacher communications can solve small student problems before they become big serious problems. The rep also explains how to hire a terp, such as please contact the agency as soon as possible; don't wait until last minute. This helps the school staff feel more comfortable about hiring terps, and it takes the pressure off the Deaf parent. It should not be the responsibility of the parent to search for a terp.

WildKaTReSS said:
Cheri does have a right to request for an interpreter at school so she knows what's going on with her son. Without an interprter, what if there is a misunderstanding or they don't tell her everything of what happened about her son? Think about that! Cheri said she doesn't sign well but she still have a right to have an interpreter so she can make sure she understand of everything going on at school with her son.

Thank-you Sis! :hug:

Last year from January 2004 to December 2004 My two kids are attend public school. I noticed my two kids were upsetting when they arrived home after school.. They told me about school quite bad bully and making fun of me because of you.. I was blown my lid.. Next day, I went over to the school and file complaint that your school system.. No wonder why education of staff were quite lack of adquation (sp) to watch the children. I was explained to pricipal by written the communcation. Finally went well and improved it lot tha what I did educated them and make sure all children must understand and who they are.. One of staff who used that school many years and told you're only the ones first person confronts and not same years ago. I was kind stunned and not surprise about it.. asked why am I first person confront about it.. Staff explained me that other prevouis Deaf parent who used to be here and have 2 kids. They didn't made their actions and confronts about their concern children. In my mind, Wha.. strange ? This year school went well and much better "Hands off program."

Btw, I'm glad this school quite much improved it lot but otherwise, there's needs improve some of what areas needs.. "School supervise after school"..
That's all I knowing...

Espically My eldest son is quite fine but hate his school... Too bad! Tough!

Back