For Hearies Only

I knew two Deaf kids when I was in grade school and got interested in sign language. I lived in a small town so I didn't get to learn much after grade school so I stopped and recently I had a huge desire to learn and maybe become an Interpreter. Started working at a hospital and worked with a deaf woman that was a patient a few times and once i started learning I was able to start talking to her and I loved it.

i have been interested since i was a child, totally fasinated with it.. finally I meet some Deaf classmates and then ended up dating a Deaf fellow for a year, now I am fluent but no longer with the guy, we still chat and the rest in history. love the Deaf community here, its always a blast!

My friend's mom is an interpreter and gave me a few classes when I was about 11 or so, and I have a deaf friend, and then I found out they gave it as a foreign language credit at school and I've been taking classes for almost one and half years.

I wasnt interested until I came here..

Hermes

I am glad that AllDeaf got you interested in learning ASL. The more hearing people become fluent in ASL, the better because it gives hearing people a better understanding of deaf people and that we are not dumb. :)

"There are a thousands good excuses but never any good reasons" <- some crazy self help book.

I stated in my intro my reasons, but hey why not here as well,
I'm a hearie, and I am learning to sign for religious reasons, to comply with Matthew chapter 29:19,20.

ASL interested me because I like to play video games and ASL is a very hand oriented language. It helps keeps my focus when people are talking to me, because if I miss a little bit of what a person is saying, I lose the entire concept of what's going on.

I consider myself a child learning a new language, so it's difficult to recognize new words but eventually I'll get it.

Nice to meet all everyone

I very much suspect you are being sarcastic here, but I just have to know for sure. Are you aware that there is no Matthew chapter 29, much less any verses that go with it? (Since the chapter you chose to "quote" is right after the last legitimate chapter in Matthew, I think it would be a pretty remarkable coincidence, but still...)

That reminds me of a joke I heard once where a Pastor gave a sermon on honesty, and at the end of the service promised to continue the following Sunday. He asked the congregation to read Mark 17 in the meantime, so they would be prepared for the upcoming sermon.
The following Sunday, when he asked how many had read the passage, some in the congregation raised their hands. The pastor informed the audience that there is no Mark 17, and promptly resumed his sermon on honesty.

:laugh2:

I stated in my intro my reasons, but hey why not here as well,
I'm a hearie, and I am learning to sign for religious reasons, to comply with Matthew chapter 29:19,20.

Well I would like to get my hands on that missing chapter about Jesus' life!

I am learning ASL at the over-ripe old age of...well old.
I became interested in it after I met a certain person who said it would be in my best interest. I went to an ASL Convention soon after and was so blown away that I never looked back.

I have a daughter who has a progressive hearing loss. We chose to sign with her right from the start. She is 5 now and is severe-profoundly deaf. We use ASL as the language in our home and for education. She is also receiving a CI in the next month or so.

Miss Kat's Deaf journey

Then why did you come here? :lol:

Do you really want to know? :)

I came here to talk on a specific topic. I had some questions to ask and you can actually read it in this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/56010-question-human-mind-words-thinking.html

But once I was here I enjoyed being here and talking to people and I came to visit more often.

But the way you ask the question, do you think all hearing people come here to learn ASL? Because I am not sure if AllDeaf forums function as a source for teaching this language.

-

Hi, all, I'm a newbie here :) I somehow stumbled upon your site and thought I'd join in on this thread. I was always interested in ASL as a child, and every opportunity I got to learn a new word I would do it. I moved to Florida in my 11th grade year of high school, and found that the high school I was going to attend offered ASL classes. I took two years of it, and now I work at a psychiatric hospital with a deaf unit. We currently have about 10 patients and maybe that many deaf care workers. I wouldn't say I'm fluent, but I'm pretty good!

Hi, all, I'm a newbie here :) I somehow stumbled upon your site and thought I'd join in on this thread. I was always interested in ASL as a child, and every opportunity I got to learn a new word I would do it. I moved to Florida in my 11th grade year of high school, and found that the high school I was going to attend offered ASL classes. I took two years of it, and now I work at a psychiatric hospital with a deaf unit. We currently have about 10 patients and maybe that many deaf care workers. I wouldn't say I'm fluent, but I'm pretty good!

Cool and welcome aboard, AprilMB!

I keep seeing this thread, and until now, haven't dared to click on it for fear I'd be unwelcome. I'm deaf, so if you don't wanna read what I have to say, don't.

I've only recently lost the last of my hearing this summer. After my first audiologist visits in 1999, I've known for 9 years that I'd "soon" be totally deaf. I've learned some ASL, but not much. Now, my family are learning SEE, so I thought it best that I learn SEE too because communication with my family is important to me, but I've decided that I'll eventually go back and learn ASL as best I can after I watched several videos on YouTube of deaf people fighting over how ASL was cool and everything else robs the deaf community of its cultural base. Even though I have no trouble understanding ASL, and ASL signers don't seem to be having any trouble understanding me, I don't wanna be considered a traitor and be excluded from social activities because I don't use proper ASL.

I first got interested when we had to take ASL in music class cause we would sign to the songs in Church. I also love the idea of speaking with the hands. I find that and deaf culture interesting. In a good way :)

I started for several reasons. Number one reason, is I have several friends that I want to understand completely when they talk to me. I also want them to understand what I'm saying when I talk to them. That was my main reason for learning ASL.

Secondly, I'm a 9-1-1 dispatcher. The new wave of 9-1-1 technology called "NG911" (Next Generation) vs E911" , will probably have video capabilities, to include allowing for the deaf to VP their nearest 9-1-1. So, I wanted to have my foot in the door, and to allow my knowledge to make the new technology as good as we possibly can. I'm heavily involved in VRS, VP, any kind of technology that , that allows.

Due to some hearies' experiences with deaf people at their school while as children, that's why I think it would be so awesome if there was a BiBi program for ASL/English in some classes at the public schools and both deaf and hearing can attend. I think that will help hearing people be more understanding of Deaf culture and ASL when they become adults. Love reading your posts aobut your experiences with deaf children while u were children.

Due to some hearies' experiences with deaf people at their school while as children, that's why I think it would be so awesome if there was a BiBi program for ASL/English in some classes at the public schools and both deaf and hearing can attend. I think that will help hearing people be more understanding of Deaf culture and ASL when they become adults. Love reading your posts aobut your experiences with deaf children while u were children.

That would be a great alternative to traditional placements.

Hi everyone!
I am a preschool teacher from Peru, but now I live in Miami. My first language is Spanish, my second German, my third English and now my fourth ASL... and I love it!!! (I am in my first month lol) I will love to teach someday to Deaf and HOH Kids... I' ve always been interested in learning Speech pathologies but ASL crossed in my way when I was learning English in the college. Each day it turns to be a very interesting language... the bad news is that I don't know anybody from the Deaf Community in Miami... but I'll keep looking!!!

Hi everyone!
I am a preschool teacher from Peru, but now I live in Miami. My first language is Spanish, my second German, my third English and now my fourth ASL... and I love it!!! (I am in my first month lol) I will love to teach someday to Deaf and HOH Kids... I' ve always been interested in learning Speech pathologies but ASL crossed in my way when I was learning English in the college. Each day it turns to be a very interesting language... the bad news is that I don't know anybody from the Deaf Community in Miami... but I'll keep looking!!!

Wow! 4 languages! I am impressed! Welcome to AD!

I am sure there is a large Deaf community in Miami. I do not know anyone who lives there but I am sure many of my friends probably know someone there. Hopefully, someone from Florida can help u out there. During the meantime, enjoy it here!

Back