For Hearies Only

AquaBlue

Reaction score
How did you get interested in learning ASL? :afro:

I started dating a guy that is deaf, but I didn't really try to learn until we were together in person...not long distance anymore. He still is helping me learn, even with the little free time I have (17 credit hours of classes and 30 hours of work a week). I'm slowly getting there.

Well, personally, I'd like to hear what late-deafened (deafened after 15 yrs of age) have to say but, hey, it's your thread, AB.

i worked with a Deaf guy a few years ago, and worked with him for over a year and didn't know anything abotu the guy, so i decided to try and communicate with him, in his language.

reasons

"There are a thousands good excuses but never any good reasons" <- some crazy self help book.

I stated in my intro my reasons, but hey why not here as well,
I'm a hearie, and I am learning to sign for religious reasons, to comply with Matthew chapter 29:19,20.

ASL interested me because I like to play video games and ASL is a very hand oriented language. It helps keeps my focus when people are talking to me, because if I miss a little bit of what a person is saying, I lose the entire concept of what's going on.

I consider myself a child learning a new language, so it's difficult to recognize new words but eventually I'll get it.

Nice to meet all everyone

I'm kinda of lousy with signing... I'm mixed see and asl.. I learn them when I was 14 from my school teacher. I was hearing until age 11 my hearing start to lose hearing then my dad took me to doctor and got hearing aid.. I'm still learning sign language as well... I need hang out with my deaf friends to improve my signing.... I'm happy what I am and proud of it... I sometime had hard to hear what my parent said until I got my aids... I'm only one who got hearing aids in my whole generations

I had poor hearing to begin with and then contracted blockage/infection in my right ear that left me completely deaf temporarily in that ear. I had a lot of difficulty at this time interacting with people, at work, etc.

Since I did not have medical insurance, I delayed going to the doctor's until I was sure that I would have significant funds. At this time I was also working a very low-paying job that caused the saving to take longer than it should.

During this time I researched hearing loss, deafness, etc. I felt that should my problems be permanent and/or spread to my other ear, that I should definetly learn to sign as a means of communication...

My then girlfriend had already signed up for an ASL class out of general interest, and we naturally felt is was best for me to enroll as well.

Before this class started, I finally acquired enough funds to cover the estimate I was given for treatment of my ear. I went to the doctor's and was treated for much cheaper than I was initially led to believe.

Naturally, I stayed in the course that I had registered for. I found both ASL and the Deaf community to be wonderful, and am doing my best to learn all that I can...

How did you get interested in learning ASL? :afro:

Communication. ;) And I love languages, too. Too bad I moved away from the USA after just a few ASL lessons.

Turns out now that it's a good thing that I have an interest in sign language(s) since my hearing is a bit wonky!

Phillips > snooping here :D

I heard you come in Phillips!

Phillips if you're deaf then scram!! Can't you read the sign posted outside the door?? It says no deafies allowed...no, wait...I mean it says hearies only sorry folks. It's Phillips fault. :afro:

I heard you come in Phillips!

Phillips if you're deaf then scram!! Can't you read the sign posted outside the door?? It says no deafies allowed...no, wait...I mean it says hearies only sorry folks. It's Phillips fault. :afro:

Huh.. I am hearing!! :whistle:

Just kidding.. I am :deaf:

Well.............Why? That's the burning question huh? ok here we go..........

As a child I saw Linda on Sesame Street doing sign. I know it's corny but I really thought it was cool. Being the "visual" type person that I am, I seemed to do well with it. Hell, I took French in high school and got a big fat F (it didn't stand for French). During high school a girlfriend and I were looking for something to do so we took an Adult basic sign class. A few years later I met my hubby at a bar, I decided a few months later to go college and start working on my certification for Intp. :) That's it.

I didn't have a want to learn ASL . I am a CODA it was just that way ,but I am sure glad that I know it now as I am using it much more with my learning loss coming on fast .

Kim

Well.............Why? That's the burning question huh? ok here we go..........

As a child I saw Linda on Sesame Street doing sign. I know it's corny but I really thought it was cool. Being the "visual" type person that I am, I seemed to do well with it. Hell, I took French in high school and got a big fat F (it didn't stand for French). During high school a girlfriend and I were looking for something to do so we took an Adult basic sign class. A few years later I met my hubby at a bar, I decided a few months later to go college and start working on my certification for Intp. :) That's it.

That's not corny at all, Shermy. If Linda Bove made you think sign language was cool, mission accomplished!

Back