florida deaf community?

Well, I live in SW Florida and I sign very fluently. :)

This thread has not been open for a month or so. I am an interpreter student, and my husband and I are looking to move to the west coast of Florida. It seems like Tampa is the place to be? We just don't want it to be "retirement" community central... KWIM :lol: I ma still in beginning ASL, but I have fallen in love with the deaf community here in Cincinnati, and I would like to have a large, strong deaf community to move into.

I am in West Palm Beach, FL. There are a quite a few here, both deaf and hoh, young middle and older.

well its not that large. and only places i have noticed a Deaf community would be ft. meyers. and st. petersburg. washington dc is a huge huge place for deaf community though.

I'm an ASL student and I'm doing a project over Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind. I was wondering if the school promotes signing or oral cause I can't seem to find the answer to that question anywhere. If someone could help me out that be awesome.

Got this in my email from FAD, but their website doesn't list the info.
Florida Association of the Deaf

Florida Association of the Deaf, Inc. Press Release

Join us!
Purple's Picnic Day in Orlando!
You are invited to join us for a free community picnic to see Purple's new P3 Software!
VRS, VP, IP-Relay - All in one!
On-site Tech Support will be available.

Where: Central Park
560 Fleweling Ave.
Ocoee, FL 34761

Date: May 22, 2010

Time: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm

Drawing for prizes will be held.

Food and drinks will be served.
Florida Association of the Deaf, Inc.
7852 Mansfield Hollow Rd.
Delray Beach, FL 33446
Florida Association of the Deaf

Follow FAD through Twitter at deaFAD

Jacksonville here...

I've been doing alot of search on google to find a deaf chat. There is none! I can't believe it. Hearing people can go in any chat but why isn't there any for us. Deafchat is closed and deafzone I can't even register as it keeps giving me error messages.

Is there a chat room for deaf people anywhere??

Well, I live in SW Florida and I sign very fluently. :)

where in SW fl do u live? i just moved here from colorado and i havnt met any deaf people like my self anywhere ......kinda sucks lol! can u give me any info about the deaf community in Miami fl?

where in SW fl do u live? i just moved here from colorado and i havnt met any deaf people like my self anywhere ......kinda sucks lol! can u give me any info about the deaf community in Miami fl?

WELCOME - Miami Deaf Center

They have a lot of information for the deaf in the Miami area. I am 2 hours north of Miami. Will never go to Miami ever again.

why will u never go to Miami ever again?

I have had too many bad things happen. Murder of a friend who was standing next to me, my car was stripped in broad daylight in a church parking lot, Purse got stolen off my shoulder. That's just the start. There's too much and Miami is no longer "American"

I am in West Palm Beach, FL. There are a quite a few here, both deaf and hoh, young middle and older.

My boyfriend lives in Palm Beach Gardens, FL and he is oral deafie (no ASL) like me. He doesn't really know any other deafies except me when he was growing up =/

Maybe you can tell me more about the deaf community in that area that I can tell him so that maybe he can go out and meet other deaf people in PBG/WPM area?

I have had too many bad things happen. Murder of a friend who was standing next to me, my car was stripped in broad daylight in a church parking lot, Purse got stolen off my shoulder. That's just the start. There's too much and Miami is no longer "American"

Wow, seriously? Murder of a friend?!?!? I am so sorry!

I knew few people from Miami area...and they're hispanics who were raised in rough environment/ghetto in areas around Miami..

Where are the deaf?

I am from Florida myself, and I am a student at SPC (St. Petersburg College). Anyway, to anwer your question, YES! There are thousands of deaf people here in Florida. Many of them are in Tampa/St. Petersburg, Orlando, and Miami area. High numbers of deaf people also exist in Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Fort Myers. There are also small numbers of deaf people all over the state of Florida. Hope that answer your question!

Well....really and it doesn't seem that anyone can find the Deaf anywhere.:roll:

Back