FDA-Shocking Results on CI Statically

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also been looking for statistics on success rates but I couldn't find any either.

It would be interesting to have stastistics on:
How many implantee wear their CI?
How many can hear on the phone.
The life expectancy of someone who is implanted with a CI in comparision to the general life expectancy of all Deaf and HOH people.

These are stastistics I'd be very curious to read about.

I also looked at Wilko and but couldn't find the part that was stated in this vidio. It's not particularly factual. It says that deaf that were born deaf don't benifit from CI when it seems some do. Certainly HOH and some congenitally born deaf do. In fact I've been noticing them as being among the most successful.

Er...what does life expectancy wearing a CI have to do with the price of eggs? :confused:

The other two stats made perfect sense.

Oh really? Help with social skills and acquiring language? I disagree with this.

Although not stated explicitly, it is clear that it is referring to acquiring spoken language which in turn helps with the social skills necessary to relate to the over 99% of the population that relies primarily upon spoken language.

Since I imagine the drop-out rate would be higher, I'd be more interested in the whys and wherefores of the drop-out rate cuz that rate is what they never tell you about.....

One thing that I keep hearing from some deaf folks is that parents choose a CI because they are lazy or because they don't accept their deaf child for who they are. I wish those people that make those claims would stop generalizing. While that may be the case for some, I have yet to encounter a parent that has chosen the CI route because they think it's easier. In fact, there is nothing easy about it.

RD,

You are right, choosing the ci route with the time, effort and devotion that entails is anything but easy--however, the opportunities that we give our children make it all worthwhile.

As to those deaf who think that parents choose the ci because they are either lazy or do not accept their child's deafness--they will never stop for they are ignorant and cannot accept the fact that thankfully, the larger deaf community accepts the fact that there is no "best" or "right" way to raise a deaf child.
Rick

Although not stated explicitly, it is clear that it is referring to acquiring spoken language which in turn helps with the social skills necessary to relate to the over 99% of the population that relies primarily upon spoken language.

I agree and concur. There is a significant difference in the nuances of social interaction when relying primarily on spoken language. This is in contrast of that who relies on lipreading and/or sign. Overall socialization is not the issue.

Er...what does life expectancy wearing a CI have to do with the price of eggs? :confused:

The other two stats made perfect sense.

Just that if there was a difference in life expectancy between CI users and other deaf people, it would show up if there were any significant risks to a CI. If the CI was safe as some people claim then there shouldn't be any differance, but if there was a differance I'd be interested in knowing.

Just that if there was a difference in life expectancy between CI users and other deaf people, it would show up if there were any significant risks to a CI. If the CI was safe as some people claim then there shouldn't be any differance, but if there was a differance I'd be interested in knowing.

Ummm...I wouldn't expect any difference myself. I guess you might have to wait a bit before you could find such stats.

Personally, it is the last thing I'm worried about. If I would be concerned about anything, it would that my implant last the rest of my life. ;)

I've also been looking for statistics on success rates but I couldn't find any either.

It would be interesting to have stastistics on:
How many implantee wear their CI?
How many can hear on the phone.
The life expectancy of someone who is implanted with a CI in comparision to the general life expectancy of all Deaf and HOH people.

These are stastistics I'd be very curious to read about.

I also looked at Wilko and but couldn't find the part that was stated in this vidio. It's not particularly factual. It says that deaf that were born deaf don't benifit from CI when it seems some do. Certainly HOH and some congenitally born deaf do. In fact I've been noticing them as being among the most successful.
Those are good questions. The one for life expectancy is gonna take a very long time since the use of CI isn't older than the average life expectancy yet.

What do you mean by "hear" on the phone? You mean "understand"?

Yeah.....even many of the superstars tend to have significent social issues.

but that's not language or social access, that's FAME, fame is not fun, almost like a waking nightmare- everybody knows who you are, or so they think...

Since I imagine the drop-out rate would be higher, I'd be more interested in the whys and wherefores of the drop-out rate cuz that rate is what they never tell you about.....

Yes exactly, I wonder why there is no accurately percent in the statistically why drop rate due to not helpful with cochlear implants on the Deaf children. I notice, deaf adults are not using their CI at my work and colleges. I asked them why they did not use their CI due to annoying sounds and feel withdraw from Deaf community due to destroy their identities which they did not ask for CI when they were younger. Their parents did this to them. I asked them how do they feel when their Parents did to their bodies. Some of them were unhappy what their Parents weren't accepting them for who they were.

Young Deaf children are innocence into this world, they did not ask for CI. They desire to exposure into the Deaf Community with ASL instead of learning speech daily in their lives. They were confused between two worlds Hearing and Deaf worlds.

Young Deaf children are innocence into this world, they did not ask for CI. They desire to exposure into the Deaf Community with ASL instead of learning speech daily in their lives. They were confused between two worlds Hearing and Deaf worlds.

I know this is a delicate argument and its complexity cannot be summarized in one single sentence. Nevertheless, saying they all desire the same is a bit too general. I strongly believe on the personal and independent identity. Being deaf does not make one equal to the other deaf people, like being fat or thin does not make you equal to all the fat/thin people.
In this strong debate, this generalization emerges too often and it's the only thing really disturbing me...
Accepting deafness does not necessarily mean embracing completely the "deaf culture" and get rid of all the rest. Somebody will be happy to spend efforts in learning speech, some others not. Some would be happy to be oral only, some others to be signing only, some would be happy to get access to both worlds. What's bad about that?
Sorry, I know I added nothing to the discussion, I simply feel better saying what I think.

This can be achieved by exposing a deaf child to sign language and Deaf culture. If parents choose the CI, chances are there's more to it than just opening doors because they could easily do that with sign language.

No, there are doors that a CI opens that ASL never can. A CI gives a child the opportunity to learn to LISTEN and speak. To learn spoken language, the language of the vast majority, without lireading and oftne in a much shorter amount of time, with less work.

Why wouldn't you want to give that to your child?

Yes exactly, I wonder why there is no accurately percent in the statistically why drop rate due to not helpful with cochlear implants on the Deaf children. I notice, deaf adults are not using their CI at my work and colleges. I asked them why they did not use their CI due to annoying sounds and feel withdraw from Deaf community due to destroy their identities which they did not ask for CI when they were younger. Their parents did this to them. I asked them how do they feel when their Parents did to their bodies. Some of them were unhappy what their Parents weren't accepting them for who they were.

Actually, my 6 year old ASKED to attend an oral school instead her ASL bi-bi school. We sign all day and night, since she was 1, and now she WANTS to learn spken language and talk. She tells us to stop signing, that she "can hear (us)".

How do you make that fit your theory?

This doesnt actually make sense. You told us that the school was making you choose between the bi-bi school and the oral school. it is also on your blog too

No, there are doors that a CI opens that ASL never can. A CI gives a child the opportunity to learn to LISTEN and speak. To learn spoken language, the language of the vast majority, without lireading and oftne in a much shorter amount of time, with less work.

Why wouldn't you want to give that to your child?

First off, replace "listen" with "hear." Anyone can "listen," even a profoundly deaf person. It is not a skill that come with being able to hear. It just come with wanting to understand people in full sentences. Many hearing people don't "listen," while many deaf people who struggle to hear do "listen."

If you compare an average hearing person with a deaf person, a deaf person would actually retain more of the conversation a week or two later-- at least according to my speech therapists. So that will tell you a lot for "listening."

Even then many CI users I know of have to lip-read anyway since there are still gaps.

faire_jour said:
Actually, my 6 year old ASKED to attend an oral school instead her ASL bi-bi school. We sign all day and night, since she was 1, and now she WANTS to learn spken language and talk. She tells us to stop signing, that she "can hear (us)".

How do you make that fit your theory?

Come back when she's 21. It's a whole different ballgame when gossiping is 90% of your social interaction. One-on-one conversations suck even if your speech score is 80%, and many CI users don't get to go beyond one-on-one conversations into the realm of group conversations. Yes, everything that parents and professionals spit out are important but they are missing out on is the social interaction that come with having a three- or five-way conversation which make up most of the interaction at social events.

This doesnt actually make sense. You told us that the school was making you choose between the bi-bi school and the oral school. it is also on your blog too

We did have to choose, and we of course asked her what she wanted and she said she told us she wanted to "go to the talking school".

First off, replace "listen" with "hear." Anyone can "listen," even a profoundly deaf person. It is not a skill that come with being able to hear. It just come with wanting to understand people in full sentences. Many hearing people don't "listen," while many deaf people who struggle to hear do "listen."

If you compare an average hearing person with a deaf person, a deaf person would actually retain more of the conversation a week or two later-- at least according to my speech therapists. So that will tell you a lot for "listening."

Even then many CI users I know of have to lip-read anyway since there are still gaps.

Come back when she's 21. It's a whole different ballgame when gossiping is 90% of your social interaction. One-on-one conversations suck even if your speech score is 80%, and many CI users don't get to go beyond one-on-one conversations into the realm of group conversations. Yes, everything that parents and professionals spit out are important but they are missing out on is the social interaction that come with having a three- or five-way conversation which make up most of the interaction at social events.

Right. But I am giving her the option of learning to listen and speak. Why would I want to NOT open that door for her? So she decides that it is too much work and she wants to go back to all sign? SO what? At least she had the choice. If I didn't give her the tools and skills, that would be a true shame.

When Aguabo showed the screenshot of the search result for "success rate, cochlear implant" she referred to wikipeda on the search result...

Cochlear implant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The cochlear implant is often referred to as a bionic ear. ..... Implantation into the cochlea has a low success rate with these people as the artificial ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant - Cached - Similar -

so I did the search like she did... and I clicked that Wikipedia and it is there... which she said it is not there and guessed that someone didn't like it and requested wikipedia to remove it. she misled us! OR she misread the entry.

it's there... under 7. Risk and disadvantages
Cochlear implant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but that has nothing to do with success rate of CI usage. that truncated sentenced is about success rate of implanting into cochlea!

There are strict protocols in choosing candidates to avoid risks and disadvantages. A battery of tests are performed to make the decision of candidacy easier. For example, some patients suffer from deafness medial to the cochlea - typically acoustic neuromas. Implantation into the cochlea has a low success rate with these people as the artificial signal does not have a healthy nerve to travel along.

she also mentioned hearagain link, it is there too.. under "Cochlear Implant Risk"

It's true that FDA does not keep such stats that Aguabo is looking for. She will have to think outside the box and do different researches... apparently she left at it and give up even with her boasting of acquiring such college degree! *yawn*

EDIT: by the way, see who did the article on cochlear implant in Wikipedia....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Deaf
but this person is no longer a active wikipedian....

Last edited:
I know this is a delicate argument and its complexity cannot be summarized in one single sentence. Nevertheless, saying they all desire the same is a bit too general. I strongly believe on the personal and independent identity. Being deaf does not make one equal to the other deaf people, like being fat or thin does not make you equal to all the fat/thin people.
In this strong debate, this generalization emerges too often and it's the only thing really disturbing me...
Accepting deafness does not necessarily mean embracing completely the "deaf culture" and get rid of all the rest. Somebody will be happy to spend efforts in learning speech, some others not. Some would be happy to be oral only, some others to be signing only, some would be happy to get access to both worlds. What's bad about that?
Sorry, I know I added nothing to the discussion, I simply feel better saying what I think.

Far from adding "nothing to the discussion", you added a lot to it!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back