Don't you ever wish you could eavesdrop?

BrittBritt

Reaction score
I mean, I know it's not polite, and it's not something I often wish for, but today I really wished I could! I was standing in the hall way, waiting for my work evaluation, and this other guy was in there getting his evaluation. The door was open, and I was sitting in a chair in the hallway, right outside the door. But of course, I couldn't hear a word they said, and I wanted to hear SO BADLY!! You know, so I could compare how I did. Every once in a while, I just find myself in the most perfect position to eavesdrop on something I really want a little info on, but alas, never gonna happen for me :deaf:

I used to lipseavedrop when in elementary school at girls. But after a while I got caught and from that point on they covered their mouths. :giggle:

My old boss wanted me to eaves drop on someone once, people who wouldn't always be in the same room with me so lip reading was out.....I just looked at her all google eyed "are you kidding me?? You want to the deaf girl to eavesdrop for you?

BUT, slightly off topic but kind of related and it's still pissing me off so Ima vent about it.

One day last week, one of the other therapists, Sam, was being very inconsiderate of all her coworkers, us (actually she always is) and I called her on it. I told her that her and Frances, another therapist, need to stop doing what they were doing. Next day I finish a massage and go in the break room to wash up, I'm at the sink and the girl has like 4 therapists around her....I wonder if she's talking about me. So I'm watching her in the mirror, and yes I can read her lips, and yes she's talking about. I then look at the therapist next to me at the sink also washing up. She wasn't part of Sam's audience, but she could hear her, anyway I look at her and say "I'm deaf, not stupid", she starts laughing, because she knew exactly what I was talking about.

Usually when someone is talking about someone, and that person walks in, they stop. But apparently if you're deaf some people think they can keep going because you're not going to hear them anyway. Hello!! I can read lips dumbass!! Yeah I'm still bent about it.

I'm hearing and I can honestly say that I think the ability to read lips is more cooler and beneficial than eavesdropping. Quoting this show called 'Switched At Birth'... "It's not about Hearing LOSS. It's about Deaf GAIN."

I'm hearing and I can honestly say that I think the ability to read lips is more cooler and beneficial than eavesdropping. Quoting this show called 'Switched At Birth'... "It's not about Hearing LOSS. It's about Deaf GAIN."

I can't speak for everyone, especially since I've never had speech reading lessons/training I just I don't know..started doing it, but you're not going to be able to speech read every word. It's not the same as hearing something, and it can really give you a head ache trying to speechread for any length of time.

I can't speak for everyone, especially since I've never had speech reading lessons/training I just I don't know..started doing it, but you're not going to be able to speech read every word. It's not the same as hearing something, and it can really give you a head ache trying to speechread for any length of time.

You're right. That makes a lot of sense. I guess everyone has a different opinion. The cool part about Reading Lips is that you can "Eavesdrop" when you aren't even close to the people talking. With Eavesdropping you have to be close to them, especially if they are whispering.

I was born HoH and have done lipreading my whole life and I can tell you that I still can't do it with 100% accuracy. The problem is that there are a lot of letters that look real similar and some letters you can barely make them out.

For example the letter B and P look real similar but the difference is subtle. Try speaking out those letters in front of a mirror and see if you can tell the difference.

I was born HoH and have done lipreading my whole life and I can tell you that I still can't do it with 100% accuracy. The problem is that there are a lot of letters that look real similar and some letters you can barely make them out.

For example the letter B and P look real similar but the difference is subtle. Try speaking out those letters in front of a mirror and see if you can tell the difference.

Yeah, for sure. There are a lot of similarities. Another example is "I love you" & "Island view". The difference is also subtle.

Yeah with eavesdropping they got to think you're not listening, so if helps if they can't see you haha. Kind of impossible to speech read then.

In the case I was talking about, the girl talking about me, I could't tell you everything she said, I just saw enough to know what she was talking about. It was even harder since she wasn't looking right me, and that helps too. I thought is was pretty brassy to do it while I was still the same room.

Wirelessly posted

ambrosia said:

I have been lipreading all my life. It is exausting at times and No, I can not catch every word. People mouths moves differently, having missing teeth or having a stache covering the lips can make it difficult. I try combine sounds I hear with lip reading to catch what they are saying.

Wirelessly posted

ambrosia said:
Yeah with eavesdropping they got to think you're not listening, so if helps if they can't see you haha. Kind of impossible to speech read then.

In the case I was talking about, the girl talking about me, I could't tell you everything she said, I just saw enough to know what she was talking about. It was even harder since she wasn't looking right me, and that helps too. I thought is was pretty brassy to do it while I was still the same room.

LOL, I would have turned around and told her to look at me and say it to my face. It was a major cheapshot. Apparently she thought she was a badass talking about you knowing damn full well that you could not hear her.

Wirelessly posted

I have been lipreading all my life. It is exausting at times and No, I can not catch every word. People mouths moves differently, having missing teeth or having a stache covering the lips can make it difficult. I try combine sounds I hear with lip reading to catch what they are saying.

Me too, I miss too much with ears, and I miss too much with my eyes haha I need both, I need to hear it and see it and brain puts it all together, still miss stuff here and there, but I catch a lot more if I can do both.

when I was in a class in JR high the principal came in to talk to the teacher and I was reading their lips , when they finally realize what I was doing they held their hand in front of their faces!

when I was in a class in JR high the principal came in to talk to the teacher and I was reading their lips , when they finally realize what I was doing they held their hand in front of their faces!

Ha ha! That's funny! Nice mini story. :)

But on topic, yes! When my kids are another room, especially if my son's girlfriend is over, I I wish I could snoop on them.....or be able to say "Iheard that!"

I did not lessons to learn how to lips read as young child but I could read people lips pretty good. I use to tell my dad that another other driver called him a bad word. I did have a speech teacher when I was about 15 yo and she taught me how to read people lips when they where standing side way. I was able to read lips from front and side of people . I wish I could still read people side view .

That is where lip reading comes in handy IF you can see the person.. if not you get 1/2 the story...lol

Back