does your pet know that u are deaf?

SilentRider

Reaction score
Hi there pet owners.. my Siamese cat that I adopted through rescue cats when he was 3 months old now has been a year together.
He knows im deaf.. there are many examples but here's a few that proves to me he knows..
He never meows around me, (he does around other people)
He wakes me up exactly 10 minutes before my alarm everyday. (Its a vibration alarm)
When he knows someone's at the door he points his ear at the door and stands in front of it.
When he spots a intruder in my back yard ( deer, racoon, etc he will come to my leg give it a tug with his mouth in my pants and run to where I can see what he knows.
If there's a spider or bug he will jump on my lap and bite my hand gently and run to location. And keep coming back until I follow. Then I pick him up and he bats or claps the bug and eats it.
Too many to list.
He's my little buddy. I prefer him over a dog due to my long work hours. He tolerates it while a dog would not.
How about u guys?

Of course. They alert me to sounds.

Except for the deaf one. He just thinks we are all the same.

Hi there pet owners.. my Siamese cat that I adopted through rescue cats when he was 3 months old now has been a year together.
He knows im deaf.. there are many examples but here's a few that proves to me he knows..
He never meows around me, (he does around other people)
He wakes me up exactly 10 minutes before my alarm everyday. (Its a vibration alarm)
When he knows someone's at the door he points his ear at the door and stands in front of it.
When he spots a intruder in my back yard ( deer, racoon, etc he will come to my leg give it a tug with his mouth in my pants and run to where I can see what he knows.
If there's a spider or bug he will jump on my lap and bite my hand gently and run to location. And keep coming back until I follow. Then I pick him up and he bats or claps the bug and eats it.
Too many to list.
He's my little buddy. I prefer him over a dog due to my long work hours. He tolerates it while a dog would not.
How about u guys?

Thinking that's really cool!...My doggie & cat have a race to see who can get to the door when someone is knocking....and my doggie licks my leg whenever she wants to go out. Do believe my doggie knows I'm deaf, but not so sure about the Cat...:giggle:

I had a tabby cat that used to meow everytime she wanted something. One morning, while sitting in the chair, I said to her: "I can't hear you without my hearing aids, sweetie. You sound like this"...and I mimicked her with silent cries. She sat there looking at me for a moment and then leaned foward and meowed louder directly into my ear. This from a cat....I'd say she figured out how to get around it.....:lol:

Laura

Lol yeah I've got many comments that my cat behaves like a dog in sense of how he gets my attn. That most cats are too stubborn or independent and does not do that. When they see i they are impressed with the cat.

My dogs alert me to sounds, strangers, the oven and odd sounds but they do not alert me to a phone. Yep, they know. Holly Dog (a big, red shepherd/chow mix) follows hand commands.

Oh yeah! At first he will make a whine as if trying to talk. If to no avail, he would cross my legs and push me aside. Mister Bully! LOL

I think so. My pets from childhood realized I couldn't hear them when they meowed for food in the morning, so they went to bother other people in the house instead.

yeah years ago carla my cat who passed on.. if she wanted me to feed her she wud paw me and go meow at me I was like ok ok I will feed you then she was happy then went back to bed.. geez actually she was my neighbor's cat she was good cat.. and now another new cat this time it's a boy he loves me he wud bite me when he is excited to see me.. geez he knows I'm deaf lol ;)

My dog....no.

My cat...yes. If he wants attention, he will tap our legs with his paw. If we are sleeping, and he wants out of the house, he will bite our necks or arms.

Finlay knew I am HOH as he was my hearing dog. I was lying on the floor once doing my PT exercises and Finlay wanted me to throw his squeaky toy for him so he started to squeak his toy down near my feet . When that did not get my attention Finlay picked up his toy and brought it right up to my head and started to go squeak , squeak , squeak right in my HA as if to say now d you hear it! I LOL!

My dog is the same. I have a black lab named Midnight.

She'll hit my bed to wake me up. The first few times she did that, scared the crap out of me. After a while I got used to it.

If she's hungry, she'll actually pick up her dog dish and throw the dish across the kitchen, I can hear the banging around. (so glad it's aluminum dish) Tells me it's time to feed her. haha And she's dead on with the time too. Exactly 5pm every single day. god forbid if you wait 15 minutes to feed her, she'll throw the dish more.

I have actually gotten a dog door, so she can go in and out when she wants. It was actually annoying without the dog door. Every 15 minutes, in and out, in and out. Argh!! make up your damn mind.

She let's me know if someone is at the door, as I can't hear people knock, or doorbell is not that loud.

I believe yes. two of them actually walked over my face, body back and forth.

tumblr_mgda785j0C1s2gg27o1_500.gif

My dog is the same. I have a black lab named Midnight.

She'll hit my bed to wake me up. The first few times she did that, scared the crap out of me. After a while I got used to it.

If she's hungry, she'll actually pick up her dog dish and throw the dish across the kitchen, I can hear the banging around. (so glad it's aluminum dish) Tells me it's time to feed her. haha And she's dead on with the time too. Exactly 5pm every single day. god forbid if you wait 15 minutes to feed her, she'll throw the dish more.

I have actually gotten a dog door, so she can go in and out when she wants. It was actually annoying without the dog door. Every 15 minutes, in and out, in and out. Argh!! make up your damn mind.

She let's me know if someone is at the door, as I can't hear people knock, or doorbell is not that loud.

That is very funny about the dog dish. I had dog do that one, she picked up her dish and dropped it at my feet to let to feed her. It's amazing how dogs and cats can tell time .

My rotty def. knows Im deaf and she doesn't like audists...we're best pals..always lookin after her..one nite she saw closed captions on tv and just starin at tv and lookin over at me..she knows! 3 other family dogs knows Im deaf also..Dogs are so smart..When my family was on vacation, one of them slept on front porch right by the front door every nite 'til they came back home..last night, I went for a walk and the same dog alerted me the vehicle was comin frome behind on a out of no-where gravel country road..we walked five miles.

My rottweiler knows. He barks every time someone knocks at door. He will go and get me if I'm not by door to let me know.

I had a cat that knew that I was deaf. He would nudged on my arm or shoulder very gently letting me know that he wanted attention. He is long gone and passed away.

I have a dog and I think he knows I am deaf. He barked only for himself, not for me. :lol:

Back