Death Sentence Vacated: "Low IQ"

rockin'robin

Reaction score
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The death sentence of a Florida man convicted of the 1981 killing of a convenience store clerk has been vacated because his IQ is too low.

A judge in Daytona Beach last month signed an order setting aside the death sentence for Ted Herring.

Circuit Judge Joseph Will wrote in his decision that Herring has significant limitations in his functioning.

The state Attorney General's Office has appealed the decision to the Florida Supreme Court. If the order is affirmed, Herring will be sentenced to life in prison.

A 2002 Florida law prohibits the execution of anybody with an IQ below 70.

Herring was convicted in 1982 of killing clerk Norman Dale Hoeltzel at a 7-Eleven in Daytona Beach.

Death Sentence Vacated Because Of Low IQ - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

Can somebody be let off the death row for having too high of an IQ?

This should be called the Duh defense.

I feel sorry for the Moron.....How will he find his way to the rec yard or lunch line. We can only hope that a real nice prisoner will take him under his wing and show him around

I'm starting to wonder if he's pulling off the same trick as seen in One Who Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest.

I think even a person with low IQ know killing is wrong.. First question is, did he try to hide his wrongdoing? Like lying, cleaning his mess so no one know about it, run, etc. If so, Then that proves he knew it was wrong.

I wonder if he flunked the IQ test on purpose to have his life spared?
Someone with a high IQ isn't likley to commit violent crimes.

Someone with a high IQ isn't likley to commit violent crimes.
Anyone is more likely commit violent crimes. There are plenty of abusive husband who happened to have high IQ. It's all about how they can handle their rage. Not how intelligent they are.

The thing is an intelligant person could stop and think of the consequences of their actions. They have a brain, stop and think before you act!

The thing is an intelligant person could stop and think of the consequences of their actions. They have a brain, stop and think before you act!

yeah right. IF they do, then they don't have any emotions. Emotions tend to take control our thoughts. We would tell ourselves not to cry, but we end up crying anyhow. Again, it's all about how controlling you are and how out of control you get in the mist of anger and irrational thoughts.

If they are too logical, then that's even scarier. They probably would not have any feelings for the other person.

Back