Deaf thoughts

violet

Reaction score
I dont know if someone has thought of this before
but...we were discussing this as a group after asl class one day
and we even asked my asl teacher (who is deaf) and she didnt know the answer
Okay
so as hearing people...sometimes when we're thinking
we "HEAR" a little voice in our heads...that tells us things..whether it be my mom screaming "YOU CANT DO THAT" or when you're late for work and in your head you have that voice saying "wake up wake up"
So we were all curious
how do deaf people (mostly people who have been completely deaf since birth) think...is it with signs.. or words?
i hope you guys understand the question....:hmm: it has all of us thinking :)
sorry if its a repost :P

I dont know if someone has thought of this before
but...we were discussing this as a group after asl class one day
and we even asked my asl teacher (who is deaf) and she didnt know the answer
Okay
so as hearing people...sometimes when we're thinking
we "HEAR" a little voice in our heads...that tells us things..whether it be my mom screaming "YOU CANT DO THAT" or when you're late for work and in your head you have that voice saying "wake up wake up"
So we were all curious
how do deaf people (mostly people who have been completely deaf since birth) think...is it with signs.. or words?
i hope you guys understand the question....:hmm: it has all of us thinking :)
sorry if its a repost :P

I born deaf but considering myself as HOH and I do have voice in my head without hearing aids so yea I do have those voice. That is interesting question, though. I do know what you trying to asked. :cool2:

I born deaf but considering myself as HOH and I do have voice in my head without hearing aids so yea I do have those voice. That is interesting question, though. I do know what you trying to asked. :cool2:
hmm wow.. what does it sound like?

Try to reduce watching Fight of the Club to 2 times a day.

I have the same problem, voices in my head telling me to destory the world, but I have subdued my other side, the dark side.

LOL Being deaf doesn't make me mentally, I mean it is only that I lost my hearing and I am still normal as I can be just like you if you are hearing person. I am same as hearing person but only difference is that I only lost hearing. That's all. So I am sure everyone have their own voice in head, just like we all have dream when you go sleep. Same idea. Make senses?

Hi avwdng,

You might want to check this thread out since it has a lot of positive and insightful posts related to your questions.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/56010-question-human-mind-words-thinking.html

As for me, I don't really "think" with the voices in my head. It is more like a visual thought. Let's think of it like being in a daydream and your mind is wandering off, visualizing the images in your head.

We may have voices in our head but the thing is, we don't actually "hear" the voices in our head because we get to think word by words which makes it into a visualization.

I hope this will help.

I was asked by someone years ago as if deaf people thinks mere like picturesque, not words in the head while in reading or communicating. Wasn't too sure as if it is correct. So what do you think?

Hi avwdng,

You might want to check this thread out since it has a lot of positive and insightful posts related to your questions.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/56010-question-human-mind-words-thinking.html

As for me, I don't really "think" with the voices in my head. It is more like a visual thought. Let's think of it like being in a daydream and your mind is wandering off, visualizing the images in your head.

We may have voices in our head but the thing is, we don't actually "hear" the voices in our head because we get to think word by words which makes it into a visualization.

I hope this will help.

thats what i thought! THANK YOU!

LOL Being deaf doesn't make me mentally, I mean it is only that I lost my hearing and I am still normal as I can be just like you if you are hearing person. I am same as hearing person but only difference is that I only lost hearing. That's all. So I am sure everyone have their own voice in head, just like we all have dream when you go sleep. Same idea. Make senses?

mmm i dont think i call you mentally disabled..are you talking to me? i was just trying to understand how you think..(read jolie's post ;))

mmm i dont think i call you mentally disabled..are you talking to me? i was just trying to understand how you think..(read jolie's post ;))

I wasn't saying you DID said it but just trying to point out that we all do same thing. :)

Hi avwdng,

I hope this will help.

Yep, if we (hearing people, too) actually "hear" the voices in our heads, we are experiencing hallucinations. That's a whole "nother topic!:giggle:

Visual dreams are based on the visual information our brain stores. It is said that if a person was born blind he doesnt have visual dreams. So no , not everybody has visual dreams and we are not doing same thing.

If you lose your hearing that would mean once you were hearing ,even as an infant and those voices are actually being a reference point to you. But if one was born profound deaf what is his reference in terms of inner voice? When we say inner voice, we obviously do not talk about an actual voice , but its the way our brains recall the voice information it stored from the past.

For example I am looking at Chinese alphabet and I have got no idea how those symbols would sound. If somebody gives me a text in latin alphabet, even though I dont know their language I still would have an idea of how they sound. Even if the way I imagine was not really how it was pronounced I still could make it up in my mind, because I already have my own reference point of how latin letters and words sound.

Brain is creative , but its creativity is usually based on using things it stores as references and bringing them together in new ways. For example, we all know colors (those of us can see), and we can get creative with those colors, but can you really imagine a color you have never seen before, that is not in the spectrum of our eyes? Try it, every color you try to imagine will be related to other colors you already know.

At the end this is not the matter of being normal. Jillo said something very true in another thread "not knowing sounds is what normal is for a profoundly deaf person". Normal is subjective. This is not about mental capacity either. This is about human brains need of having the reference points and the way it replaces one reference with another if brain can not uses one of its senses. So the question is what brain uses as a reference if the person doesnt have hearing as one of his senses from the beginning? So far the answer was (both in this thread and the previous one) images.

I am still waiting the answer : "The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows everything " though :lol:

Hermes

Hi avwdng,

I hope this will help.

What Jolie77 has just said, is similar to what I have but otherwise, sometimes I can hear voices in my head -- but when I daydream whatever and whatnot, it sometimes uses the sign language and even ASL too :shock:

What Jolie77 has just said, is similar to what I have but otherwise, sometimes I can hear voices in my head -- but when I daydream whatever and whatnot, it sometimes uses the sign language and even ASL too :shock:

Jacob, see post #12. Jillio wants to talk to you right away!:shock:

thank you guys... i was wondering for a while about that.. thanks for the great responses :D

I dream of a large lecture theatre full of Ad'ers roaming around chatting.... ooooops!

:scatter:

Back