Deaf Teacher VS Hearing Teacher

When someone said being called 'hearing impaired' is an insult to everyone here , it bug me . I don't like people speaking for me about my hearing lost and saying what I do or don't like. A person would be best to say that is an insult to them and let other people speak for their self then we would not be having this conversation all the time.

That is, IMHO, the most beautiful perspective shared here. We are all individuals, and as someone else said in one of the comments earlier, we all want to be treated with respect. What better way to respect an individual than using the term they are most comfortable being known by? :) I like it!

Awesome!! I did read your blog from facebook first, either parents of deaf and hoh. I like your blog. I found it interesting. I remember I told my mom that teachers signed AWFUL! My mom assured me to keep quiet when I voiced so loud at school. LOL I wasnt mad at my parents for putting me there. I love my friends there and a very few awesome teachers. Actually I had ONE Deaf teacher and i did very well in Math. geometry. Wish I had a lot of Deaf teachers when I was a kid. Hearing teachers do not know how to teach, and too focus on the sounds than visual. At least, I am ok now. How did you find this All deaf forum?? Neat.

Whoaaa! Mind = blown. Haha. I really like your perspective, you remind me of Mr. Cobb! The last thing I want to do is offend someone so I do generally try to figure out how they label themselves before I go throwing terms out there, lol..but sometimes that is hard and you need a label. I'm glad you are comfortable with the Deaf label, I have met some who are not and have presented the whole "deaf" as labeling me by the 1 thing I cannot do and that was the first time I had heard it put that way. This is like totally the opposite. It's so confusing for a person who did not grow up in and fully understand the culture. I appreciate y'all sharing your perspectives and information with me, it's not always a clear sea we navigate in life!

P.s. - I have NO idea what forehead hearing is..o_O You totally lost me on that one...
Forehead hearing is a sign. It means the person being talked about is hearing minded. It's an insult.

Awesome!! I did read your blog from facebook first, either parents of deaf and hoh. I like your blog. I found it interesting. I remember I told my mom that teachers signed AWFUL! My mom assured me to keep quiet when I voiced so loud at school. LOL I wasnt mad at my parents for putting me there. I love my friends there and a very few awesome teachers. Actually I had ONE Deaf teacher and i did very well in Math. geometry. Wish I had a lot of Deaf teachers when I was a kid. Hearing teachers do not know how to teach, and too focus on the sounds than visual. At least, I am ok now. How did you find this All deaf forum?? Neat.

n_n Thank you, I'm glad you like it and found it interesting. We have noticed each grade level, each teacher, has his/her own accent if you will and we generally spend the first couple of months of each school year learning "this teachers" way of signing and version of signs we already knew, it is quite a headache but I'm not sure that anything can be done about it. We have definitely noticed this problem more with hearing teachers than deaf teachers, as deaf teachers tend to know more of the various ways to sign a word and will understand us even if we don't sign it the exact same way they do where as a hearing teacher will get lost and tell you "no, you're doing it wrong! it's like this..." it's rediculous, lol. But again, just one more point for deaf teachers! n_n I agree that hearing teachers tend to focus on the wrong details, and I think too that it must be impossible for them to understand their students needs and modes of learning as well as a deaf teacher would. I am glad that you are okay now, and I'm glad that your mum signed for you, I'm sorry the teachers weren't better at it. I found this forum on one of my many ventures through the internet trying to learn more about deaf culture and attempting to forge any sort of understanding of what life is like for my daughter. It's a pretty neat place, lots of friendly helpful people. n_n

Forehead hearing is a sign. It means the person being talked about is hearing minded. It's an insult.

Haha! Always love to learn an insult in another language...I don't know why. Why is that so fun? lol XD

I think I understand what you mean. So, like...a person with a partial hearing loss who refers to themself as HI would be considered "forehead hearing" by a deaf person as an insulting way to say they think like a hearing person? Am I understanding this right?

There seems to be a bit of animosity towards hearing and hearing individuals in the deaf community. Is that for real or am I misunderstanding the feelings?

Haha! Always love to learn an insult in another language...I don't know why. Why is that so fun? lol XD

I think I understand what you mean. So, like...a person with a partial hearing loss who refers to themself as HI would be considered "forehead hearing" by a deaf person as an insulting way to say they think like a hearing person? Am I understanding this right?

YES prefers not to socialize with ASL users or Signers. I guess they either are embarrassed how we look like with hands movement, becasue they are deaf or hoh like us. I dont know for sure. Or they think speaking is more intelligent than non speaking. I guess.

There seems to be a bit of animosity towards hearing and hearing individuals in the deaf community. Is that for real or am I misunderstanding the feelings?

I think lot of hearing and person with hearing losses (only if raised in the hearing enviroment) do not undersand with ( ASL) LANGUAGE ITSELF that is different than English. ALso, I would think there are speaking vs non speaking issue that reflects them to think that if lack of speaking which means they are not capable of funcitioning in the real life.

I ll think more about it and come back to post it here. I tend to ignore people are ignorant that i do not need to deal with. I have to worry about my family: husband, two kids and a job. Oh yes three fur kids ( meows) to focus on.

Yeah - that's a big problem I have with my hearing children! It's hard to get them across the concept that they are 2 different languages (English and ASL) and that they work differently. And I can kind of understand why it's hard for them because it's hard for me, too, to be speaking English out loud to my hearing children and try to translate mentally and turn it into ASL at the same time. Some times my kids definitely have to be patient while my brain reboots for a second, it can be tricky, but it's so worth it for them all to be learning and growing and learning to communicate with each other as siblings. Technically, step- siblings but eh why create a divide you know, they've been learning since they were 5 and 3 and although they're decent they still definitely need to practice more so I've recently started doing where I won't answer them unless they sign their question/request to me and this has helped a lot.

I noticed early on that there was sort of an attitude from different members of my family about how will Lizzie function in the real world and what would her life be like and I started to wonder myself. I decided there was no reason she had to move to any community unless she liked it, that her being deaf did not mean she could not function in society and I would show her how. She was about 3 when I decided that and started spending time out and about in public (*crossing my fingers hoping no one gets offended at this*) pretending to be deaf. The first time I did it she looked at me so surprised. She was used to seeing me talk to people, and the first time I went into an establishment and kept my mouth shut and used sign language she was very curious. Of course, the cashiers usually immediatly freak out and wrack their brain trying to think of a way to communicate. I smile, this helps calm most people down, and point very carefully to what I want, or find obvious gestures to get across what I want. At times of cashiers absolutely not understanding me I have written down a word on a receipt, but I always make it work without opening my mouth once. Most people seem thrilled for the experience of trying to work with a deaf family, and some do seem frustrated but I get that from people when I talk to them too so I try not to take offense to it because some people are just rude and easily frustrated, life's too short to be angry at them. At any rate, I'm hoping through these actions I will show my daughter she can thrive and do whatever she wants, with perseverance and a desire to communicate with people she comes across. I've been glad that most people have been very willing to try to meet us half way and find a common path to communication, even if they know nothing of sign language. I know it's a long shot, but part of me hopes these people walk away from the experience changed and more open minded about working with deaf families, and maybe...just maybe, I'm making the world around us a bit more tolerant of my daughter, because she's great and she's so much more than just a "deaf kid".

I'm not meaning to imply anyone here has been hostile or had animosity, I hope that didn't come across wrong. It just seems to be a running theme that lots of deaf individuals harbor hurt or angry feelings towards hearing individuals, be it specific people or in general. And all of them, totally valid in their feelings from what I can tell - another reason I'm hoping to change more hearing people, I'm ashamed to be in this category when the cultures collide. I was just kind of wondering if it's culturally deep or if it's just like "eh..some people are just like that". o_O Really not intending to offend anyone here, I'm just trying to get a deeper understanding of things with all of you who are willing to share your thoughts and experiences with me. It means a lot and I really appreciate it! :)

Person with hearing loss acts as a hearing which prefers not to socialize with signers.

I think one thing some people forget is the time period a hoh person went to school . Deaf students in college did not stop to think b/c of my age I may not been allowed to use ASL growing up. They just refuse to have anything to do with me when I went to the office for deaf and 'hoh'
students for help. I feel the history of growing up deaf and hoh is not being talked about enough in schools .

Person with hearing loss acts as a hearing which prefers not to socialize with signers.

As said, Think Hearing is probably a better term, It's not an insult unless is directed at a Culturally Deaf person. Often it's more of a tease or joke when someone acts or does something that is unique to hearing culture. Others it's really just a description if person with hearing loss that is part of hearing world and only sees their own hearing loss in a pathological (medical) view. A defect that needs to be fixed.

I DO NOT understand AT ALL why "hearing impaired" should be an insult and "hard of hearing" is ok !!!!!!!!!!! They describe the same thing! I find it taking political correctness way too far.

By the way, I am completely deaf in one ear and have a profound loss in the other one.
Hearing impaired is a medical term used by doctors and deaf and hard of hearing is what and who we are and we are not impaired (broken) and our ears does not need fixing and that is why deaf have their own unique language.

Back