Deaf Students and Math

No. I've read research in the past, and it's established that there are distinct differences in how deaf children learn compared to hearing children. There is also a relationship to the lower scores and challenges also being related to the language portion of math.

I'm interested in exploring the matter further in how deaf children most effectively learn math, and why the differences are there/best ways to address that. :)

I'm a glass half full type of gal :wave:

*shrug*

I've never had any accommodation since 9th grade and my math level was usually 2 grades ahead of most of my peers. I think it's best to focus on one's ability rather than deaf aspect.

No. I've read research in the past, and it's established that there are distinct differences in how deaf children learn compared to hearing children. There is also a relationship to the lower scores and challenges also being related to the language portion of math.

I'm interested in exploring the matter further in how deaf children most effectively learn math, and why the differences are there/best ways to address that. :)

I've tutored both deaf and hearing students in college (Gallaudet and Univ. of Idaho) on math, physics and statistics though never really got to see the difficulties the younger kids had to contend with. Although in college deaf students appear to be stumped more on the language part of the math questions compared to college hearing students which they appear to have an easier time with it. I think it is important to engage with them as much as possible and make it fun and challenging. Each kid is different. Some like doing math, others are simply terrible at it. Can't force 'em.

There is a documented, and well known connection between children born with hearing loss due to Rubella (German Measles) and learning disabilities. However, I stress, not everyone with hearing loss has learning disabilities. So far the medical evidence just supports Rubella/hearing loss connection.

Lau, that is just ONE hearing loss syndrome connected to dhh....and it's also obsolete as a cause of deafness especially now.

I have had difficulty with math since i was a kid. And High school became a little bit tougher. Last year, I managed to keep up a C in math. In the first two years in high school, i was placed in a small math class with maybe 10 students , My math class was called Essentials 9 math, which means it has a two teachers available to help you out, and they took things very slow. I had a lot of catching up to do with math, and honestly, I still do! I'm placed in a easy-slow math class in college for next year. I'm hoping i will do a good job, Because math is one of my weakest subjects. Language, I could do good on. I got an A in english for the past 4 years in high school, including elementary and middle school. Math is the only thing that is a subject i really need to work on. Same with science too. I would study for a test for hours, and even before the test and i still would get a bad grade on it, just because i don't understand it. Last year, my math teacher had allowed our class to come in the morning before school to correct any wrong answers on our test to boost up our grade. I have done that ALOT. and it made me have a good solid C on my report card.

I know there are about 7 people in my Deaf Club who went to residential schools ranging the 60's, 70's and 80's. Most were at FSDB, but some are from other states. What's my reason for bringing this up? Well, they are all CPA's.

were they mainstreamed and oral? That makes a HUGE difference....but you can't explorate that to all deaf kids.

Back