Deaf or HoH?

I would rather called myself deaf instead of HOH. If I take my HA off, I'm totally deaf. HA is assistive device, if you take your glass off, you are near blindness! Glasses are assistive device as well.

Years ago, when I joined deaf bowling league. Many of them hardly noticed anything if I'm HOH or deaf since I signed fluent just like ordinary deaf groupies. Well, one guy got little suspicious of me and he asked me if I'm deaf or HOH. I told him that I'm deaf. Few minutes later, my old alpha-numeric pager went off and my IT guy need me to call him. So, I walk up to pay phone and call him, I have my phone rested against my HA. Suddenly I felt a hard jolted back of my head, which is the same guy who asked me if I'm deaf or HOH, made a hard slapped back of my head, I turned my head to him and he threw a fit signing to me "YOU ARE HOH!! NOT DEAF!!" Then he walked away. I was like... what the f**cking hell!!

You know, I'm proud deaf, so I decided this, If I'm with deaf groups, I'll say HOH, If I'm with hearing group, I'll say deaf. Of course hearing people wouldn't smacked the back of my head!!

Whether or not he perceived some slight when he learned that you are able to use the phone after you said you were deaf versus hoh, does not give him the excuse to be an 4$$ (please excuse my 'french') about it.

Back