Deaf and blind man takes life after wife dies

Smithtr

G.G.H.T
Premium Member
Reaction score
A deaf and blind man hanged himself in grief after his wife died of a sudden heart attack, a coroner has ruled.

Stewart Timms, 63, and his wife Valerie, 68, who was deaf and dumb, had been a loving and devoted couple who dedicated themselves to helping each other with their disabilities.

But after Mrs Timms died in the bedroom of their home in Andoversford, her husband hanged himself from the loft a few feet away, ruled deputy Gloucestershire coroner David Dooley this afternoon.

He recorded a verdict that Mr Timms, a cabinet maker, committed suicide and Mrs Timms, a retired housekeeper, died of natural causes.

The couple had two children and eight grandchildren

Deaf and blind man takes life after wife dies | This is Gloucestershire

I'm sure rest of family are so glad to read about their parents being labeled as deaf and dumb in story. SMH!!!

Sad story, but understandable. This should be moved to the "Deaf news" section. It is hardly "strange and stupid." IMO.

It is very sad, but not unknown. Someone most likely to sucide is a elderly white male, whose partner has died, and doesn't have a lot of familial support or networking.

Andoversford? where's that at?

I dont understand why he would do that, he had many grandchildren...silly!

It's nawt even a big deal...Woooooooow!

(But that's me) :roll:

Dont worry,Travis...we make mistakes. :)

I don't like the fact they put in the article "deaf and dumb" That is extremely rude and disrespectful to the man and his wife. R.I.P. May your soul now be at rest and find the comfort you couldn't in life.

I don't like the fact they put in the article "deaf and dumb" That is extremely rude and disrespectful to the man and his wife. R.I.P. May your soul now be at rest and find the comfort you couldn't in life.

It's because it's UK, they're take different mean on "dumb". It doesn't mean retard or not smart.

dumb - adjective
5. producing no sound; silent: Ex. a dumb piano

Andoversford? where's that at?

I dont understand why he would do that, he had many grandchildren...silly!

it in england,and the guy clinical depression,altogh he love his grandchildren it would made no difference....a care package should been put into action straight away,it was not and the social sevice should explain what went wrong,doubt it made any difference tho

it in england,and the guy clinical depression,altogh he love his grandchildren it would made no difference....a care package should been put into action straight away,it was not and the social sevice should explain what went wrong,doubt it made any difference tho
It seems that the husband hanged himself before anyone else even knew that the wife had died. I don't know if the husband had a diagnosis of clinical depression prior to that. :dunno:

poor man i assuming he had ushers,not many around who do blind/deaf sign, when i went to rehabilitation years ago a place in eastbourn england we had take one person with us this man would have gone there with his wife and i expect she be only person he communicate with..there were two people at deaf club i went to in london and one communicater to my shame i never tried to communicate..this guy must felt so isolated..very few like hellen keller

Back