Cough! Cough! Cough! More pollution on the way?

MORE POLLUTION or RELIABLE ELECTRICITY?

• I don't care about cancer, I WANT THE LIGHTS TO STAY ON!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Please Mr. President, no cancer.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • whatever.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • dumb thread.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

ASLuser101

Reaction score
Well now, our president has just relaxed the rules for industrial POLLUTERS to encourage them to upgrade their equipment at a lower cost. They can go ahead and not meet federal pollution standards.

This is apparently a response to the recent black-out. Or is it a smoke screen to divert our attention?

Last edited:
Actually, it is EPA's decision to help encourage the industries to save more money by upgrading their old, shitty, stinking equipment for newer, cleaner, safer equipments that are easily adjustable to fit future potential EPA restrictions. If those companies do not upgrade, and the EPA's restrictions come back to full effect later, they will definately lose their business!

And, that is a good thing.

Deaf258 said:
Actually, it is EPA's decision to help encourage the industries to save more money by upgrading their old, shitty, stinking equipment for newer, cleaner, safer equipments that are easily adjustable to fit future potential EPA restrictions. If those companies do not upgrade, and the EPA's restrictions come back to full effect later, they will definately lose their business!

And, that is a good thing.

Good thing? Roll back pollution standards previously set and known years in advance? Easily adjustable? Then why not meet the standards now? What are they waiting for? Ans: SAVE MONEY!! You said it!:) BTW, the rollbacks is a result of the Bush admin, not the EPA acting on its own. The EPA has been rolling back standards on just about everything since Bush took office.

But you're glad the lights will stay on then? :wiggle:

Bush_in_2004! said:
Good thing? Roll back pollution standards previously set and known years in advance? Easily adjustable? Then why not meet the standards now? What are they waiting for? Ans: SAVE MONEY!! You said it!:) BTW, the rollbacks is a result of the Bush admin, not the EPA acting on its own. The EPA has been rolling back standards on just about everything since Bush took office.

Here in Minnesota... governor passed a law to dim the lights after midnight in order to save money which State of Minn. have a huge debt.. and needs to cut costs instead of raising taxes.

Pollution has been a constant problem. Getting old equipment and machinery updated has been a constant problem. Some of the industries could not upgrade because they couldn't afford the limited upgrading allowed by EPA. Their reasoning is that if the industries were able to afford upgrading immediately to new equipment, then maintaining clean air standards afterwards would pay off faster in the long run. If it means polluted air in short term, and clean air long term, I would pick clean air long term.

Deaf258 said:
Pollution has been a constant problem. Getting old equipment and machinery updated has been a constant problem. Some of the industries could not upgrade because they couldn't afford the limited upgrading allowed by EPA. Their reasoning is that if the industries were able to afford upgrading immediately to new equipment, then maintaining clean air standards afterwards would pay off faster in the long run. If it means polluted air in short term, and clean air long term, I would pick clean air long term.

on the other hand, they can just shut down. it means clean air for the short term AND long term. Once they shut down, there will be no shortage of new businesses stepping in and fill the need -- its the American way. Its a cost issue. Maybe costs will go up. But the last time I checked chemo treatments for cancer has gone up too, not to mention being painful! :ugh: :eek2:

But you're allowed your views, so thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Bush_in_2004! said:
on the other hand, they can just shut down. it means clean air for the short term AND long term. Once they shut down, there will be no shortage of new businesses stepping in and fill the need -- its the American way. Its a cost issue. Maybe costs will go up. But the last time I checked chemo treatments for cancer has gone up too, not to mention being painful! :ugh: :eek2:

But you're allowed your views, so thanks for the comments.

:thumb: Wow!! That's such GREAT idea if I ever heard one! Making sure the national unemployment count break the charts! Economically, it is extremely difficult to start a new business right now. It is much cheaper to remodel and upgrade current and most old businesses.

Just my 2¢.

And about cancer, don't get me wrong, but boo-fucking-hoo! I won't be surprised if I have cancer. Most of my relatives older than 65 already have some form of cancer. All diseases and illnesses are expensive to take care of anyway! Face the facts of Life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't we sue the fast food companies for the high heart disease risk? Why not keep on suing the tobacco companies for the habits we use? Why not sue the liquor companies for the dead livers we haul daily? Why not sue the Department of Transportation for repaving our streets and increasing the local and global warming?? Why not sue every damn happy individual who rode, bought and owned a gas-powered vehicle or two?? Why not sue NASA for littering the space, the land and the blue skies we love and adore?? Why not sue the DM forum and its members for actively assimilating every bright Deafie who joins them and degrading his/her quality of life? Why not sue the computer company who used environmentally unfriendly parts and materials to build the damn computer you are using right now! Are my 2¢ worth it to everyone? Oh, shit!! They might sue me, too!

drew, for one thing, cig companies LIED to us about tabacco dangers. Now if you go in a fast food and order something cooked in the deep fryer (which is nothing but boiling hot FAT), that's your choice -- nobody is hiding the danger from you.

Also, dying from cancer can be painful and gruesom. Treatment for cancer is painful and gruesom.

Its best we do all we can to reduce the cancer risk and die from something else less painful 20 years later eh?

Bush_in_2004! said:

Oh come on stop blaming Bush for everything that has been goin wrong in this world. We already had pollution problems long before Bush came to the office. so stop being a crybaby and blame bush....

NKidd said:
Oh come on stop blaming Bush for everything that has been goin wrong in this world. We already had pollution problems long before Bush came to the office. so stop being a crybaby and blame bush....

yes, we had pollution before bush came in. the clinton adminstration enacted new rules to clean up pollution. and now, here comes Bush, undoing or weakening just about every EPA regulation he can get his hand on.

so, YES, I shall "cry" about it. And because Bush now sits in the oval office, the BUCK STOPS THERE! If he can't handle the stress, he shouldn't have ran for president! :smash:

Bush_in_2004! said:
yes, we had pollution before bush came in. the clinton adminstration enacted new rules to clean up pollution. and now, here comes Bush, undoing or weakening just about every EPA regulation he can get his hand on.

so, YES, I shall "cry" about it. And because Bush now sits in the oval office, the BUCK STOPS THERE! If he can't handle the stress, he shouldn't have ran for president! :smash:

is it only bush? or the congress?... Bush is not only person makes desicion on everything on his own.. Remmy bush have 1/3 of power, congress have another 1/3 of power, U.S. superme court have 1/3 power.

make sense?
however, here in minn they dim or turn the lights off after midnight in order to save money on state's budget plan..
But.. most of the fears.. No lights, can mean more crime, this is a fact.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
is it only bush? or the congress?... Bush is not only person makes desicion on everything on his own.. Remmy bush have 1/3 of power, congress have another 1/3 of power, U.S. superme court have 1/3 power.

make sense?
however, here in minn they dim or turn the lights off after midnight in order to save money on state's budget plan..
But.. most of the fears.. No lights, can mean more crime, this is a fact.

Actually the EPA is "independent" but the directors can be hired/fired by the prez, so what the prez wants he gets. Congress can pass a law to "overule" the prez, but remember, this Congress is Republican controlled, and the current supreme court selected Bush as president.

What these means is that we'll be coughing (cough, cough) for a few more years :tears: .

Bush_in_2004! said:
Actually the EPA is "independent" but the directors can be hired/fired by the prez, so what the prez wants he gets. Congress can pass a law to "overule" the prez, but remember, this Congress is Republican controlled, and the current supreme court selected Bush as president.

What these means is that we'll be coughing (cough, cough) for a few more years :tears: .

so the pollution will affect all over the U.S. or just one local spot?
but, as for me.. everyone dies.. but only thing bothers me is future.. i know there's Ozone expanding in south pole caused by pollution as far as science know.. they're still researching on what's it accually come from.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
so the pollution will affect all over the U.S. or just one local spot?
but, as for me.. everyone dies.. but only thing bothers me is future.. i know there's Ozone expanding in south pole caused by pollution as far as science know.. they're still researching on what's it accually come from.

Of course, everyone dies.

But it's the job of the government to improve the quality of our lives!

Bushman, talking to you is like talking to a wall with paintsprayed political slogans and graffiti. In both ways, strict or nonstrict regulations, I am glad EPA is finally getting the compaines to get improved, newer equipments. Makes it safer for the employees to work there and makes cleaner air quality when all is said and done with. That's all I am going to say because it is pointless to go on and on with nothing constructive coming out of this pointless debate.

'Nuff said.

Deaf258 said:
Bushman, talking to you is like talking to a wall with paintsprayed political slogans and graffiti. In both ways, strict or nonstrict regulations, I am glad EPA is finally getting the compaines to get improved, newer equipments. Makes it safer for the employees to work there and makes cleaner air quality when all is said and done with. That's all I am going to say because it is pointless to go on and on with nothing constructive coming out of this pointless debate.

'Nuff said.

I guess you voted for "dumb thread"? :eek:

oh boy intresting debate we're having here tonight ladies and germs I can see the debate is leading on with bush and deaf258 let's see who makes the most points on making us more aware of whats going on in our world today! ( sowwy sounded like an sarcastic announcer) BUT can i put my 2cent in? isn t it really the POEPLE's choice to decide on whats best for our future? i mean we made this happen not the prez not the congress not the poeple we the one the polluataed nation and if i can remmy right what abt conserving the nation? cleaning up wasteless trash, stopping the trees from being chopped down by recycling our own papers, taking cans and having them recyled and even tho theres ALOT of cars on the street more and more are using metro/subway/barts to go places and taking busses, and the last but not the least we're not the ones leaving the lights on 24/7 just only when nesscary which is why i don t use the lights on in here i have the montior for my light and my memory for the keyboard, the tv yes is on but thats not on 24 hrs either, my fan is on yes til i go to bed and i shut that off, so that makes sense, im conserving, we have the porch light on my sister hasn t arrived home just yet but will soon. SO that make sense also! even tho we don t have the buses running on this island we do use our cars ONLY when its nesscary and carpool when we're in need to go to town saving our money by hanging clothes as well. SO its not totally the goverments duty it's also our duty as well!

Bush...?

I always hated Bush since the day he became president. He even cheated the POLLS.

As for pollution that had came... it was long time. It was people's uncaring to the world. They dont give a crap and just litter it everywhere... even in ur hometown, local... ur neigborhood... even that goes to you (Me 2). So dont really blame the president because he aint you. Your helping another person doing the slobby job on this earth. Enough said.

Back