Compound Bow qq's

purplecatty

Reaction score
Although it's part of sport. I wanted to use Compound Bow for hunting. I wonder which bows are good. Like PSE, Bear, Diamond, Hoyt ect. If anyone have experience with different compound bows, Let me know. I am trying to pick good quality bow that is more stable and sturdy. I am aware of nock alignment ect . My oldest brother have Diamond Compound Bow and it's a good bow. He bought it used and let me shoot arrows and It was pretty accurate.

In matter of fact, I haven't shot bow for nearly 30 years and still attains accuracy (whole lot better than old fashioned bow that I used to have). I shot 5 arrows to box target. I had 6" diameter total target while my brother had 5" diameter total target (which is close to bull eye). He was shocked that I shot arrow accuracy and told me that I am ready to hunt despite 30 years of archery drought.

So I want to buy good used Compound bow that I can use for hunting and target practice. I wanted between 60 to 70 lb draw (can be adjustable) and I don't care about letoff %. Something that shoot arrow at 290 to 320 fps. Have either lighted or neon glow adjustable sight. To be honest, I am AMBIDEXTROUS which means I can shoot either right handed or left handed. I write right handed but bowls either left or right handed. So It doesn't matter if Bow be LH or RH.

Also I would like to know about arrow tips that use for deer hunting. I went to Walmart store and Cebelas sporting goods in Kansas City, KS (Located at Legends Shopping center). I had hard time deciding which razor screw-on tip. There are many different type of tips such as razor edge 3 sided, retractable razor edge, retractable razor edge act like fins that make arrow spins for accuracy. I am kinda dizzy on many different options.

Suggestions? and Which brand of Compound Bows you suggested (try suggest several good brands)

Catty

Dude, just looked over this quick, but you have to check your local laws. Some states have restrictions on bows. I think compound is most accepted, but you have to check.

Having said that, I would think about why you want to hunt. If you are going to eat what you've hunted, fine, but if you're just going for increased skill then you should consider competition. In fact, you'll find competition a whole lot more challenging.

I've thought about this myself and while I'm not against hunting, personally, it's important to me to consume what I kill. Otherwise, it's just a misdirection.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss a re-curve or long bow either.

I have an old stemmler I haven't used for years, but still is not cracked.

If were you, I'd go to an archery shop, not a target or some department store. They will set you up.

I'm also left handed and I find the grip is important. Stemmler didn't have a great grip.

Dude, just looked over this quick, but you have to check your local laws. Some states have restrictions on bows. I think compound is most accepted, but you have to check.
eh I wouldn't worry about that. it's obvious - if it's being sold at store, it's obviously legal.

Having said that, I would think about why you want to hunt. If you are going to eat what you've hunted, fine, but if you're just going for increased skill then you should consider competition. In fact, you'll find competition a whole lot more challenging.

I've thought about this myself and while I'm not against hunting, personally, it's important to me to consume what I kill. Otherwise, it's just a misdirection.

If were you, I'd go to an archery shop, not a target or some department store. They will set you up.

I'm also left handed and I find the grip is important. Stemmler didn't have a great grip.

recurve/long bow is difficult to use... requires months of professional training. that's why Olympics uses recurve bows. long bow is even more difficult but it's reliable, simple, and simply awesome once you're an expert. you need to be strong to use those bows.

compound bow is only for one thing..... hunting. it's dang powerful and it's easy to use for anybody to use.

Although it's part of sport. I wanted to use Compound Bow for hunting. I wonder which bows are good. Like PSE, Bear, Diamond, Hoyt ect. If anyone have experience with different compound bows, Let me know. I am trying to pick good quality bow that is more stable and sturdy. I am aware of nock alignment ect . My oldest brother have Diamond Compound Bow and it's a good bow. He bought it used and let me shoot arrows and It was pretty accurate.

In matter of fact, I haven't shot bow for nearly 30 years and still attains accuracy (whole lot better than old fashioned bow that I used to have). I shot 5 arrows to box target. I had 6" diameter total target while my brother had 5" diameter total target (which is close to bull eye). He was shocked that I shot arrow accuracy and told me that I am ready to hunt despite 30 years of archery drought.

So I want to buy good used Compound bow that I can use for hunting and target practice. I wanted between 60 to 70 lb draw (can be adjustable) and I don't care about letoff %. Something that shoot arrow at 290 to 320 fps. Have either lighted or neon glow adjustable sight. To be honest, I am AMBIDEXTROUS which means I can shoot either right handed or left handed. I write right handed but bowls either left or right handed. So It doesn't matter if Bow be LH or RH.

Also I would like to know about arrow tips that use for deer hunting. I went to Walmart store and Cebelas sporting goods in Kansas City, KS (Located at Legends Shopping center). I had hard time deciding which razor screw-on tip. There are many different type of tips such as razor edge 3 sided, retractable razor edge, retractable razor edge act like fins that make arrow spins for accuracy. I am kinda dizzy on many different options.

Suggestions? and Which brand of Compound Bows you suggested (try suggest several good brands)

Catty

I love archery. years ago - I had a training from former Olympic archery coach on recurve bow.

but for compound bow and hunting.... I'd go to Cabela's and ask there. they really know their stuff very very very well and they're archers and avid hunters themselves. they have a range in the back for you to test the bow. Cabela doesn't hire quacks and they have a very tough hiring policy. they carefully screen people and ask many questions to make sure they know their stuff well. best of all - they hire people who actually do what they're hired for... meaning if they're hired for archery hunting department... they actually have been doing archery hunting since kids.

they will be able to answer just about any questions you have including arrow tips.

I always liked bear. Around where I grew upas it was the most popular. . What draw length are you used to? I like more cams cuz when at full draw and waiting for the deer to take a srep or so arounda tree your arm will start shaking. I liked a heavier arrow weight rather than a faster arrow since it. Will pass thru the deer less. Arrows I liked with non retractable, less trouble. Sights are easy to stick on any bow you get or swap them out. Don't know if cabels has used bows but I was at an indoor range over the weekend and there were lots of used bows.

It may be legal to own, but not legal to hunt or shoot on your property.

um... never heard of such thing lol

I've pretty much studied a lot of firearm and firearm-related laws and if I know NY-NJ laws pretty well (which are the most stringent and confusing laws in America), I'm pretty certain that all states have no such laws of what you just said. if you're being arrested for shooting a bow on your property - it's because you're doing it in a very unsafe manner like..... there was a neighbor behind the target lol. it would be very foolish to practice archery in your backyard like.... a suburb.

I think it's best to cite the actual laws before you state such things rather than speculating or "I think"

My late uncle was an accomplished archer. I've done archery when I was younger, but I don't do it anymore. I loved it. My skills are so rusty now. Vacationguy hit a nail. I'd rather to ask a professional archer questions at a local archery shop instead of asking 19-year-old cashier at Walmart. Check your updated city codes, and police department. Neighbors don't like to see you playing with a weapon in urban areas. I still hear about this once in a while.

I am both left handed and right handed when it comes to playing sports. However, I will always be left-handed when I use archery or handgun.

Good luck.

It's legal in Kansas and Missouri (lot of areas across state of KS and MO). There are one deer per person policy. There is no restriction on using Bow for deer hunting but there are restrictions on shooting fishes with bow. Because it is more challenging using Bow than hunting rifle. I already knew about laws here in KS and MO. Some of my deaf friends usually go to hunting every Dec each year with bows. So I'm not worry about state laws, I would just get hunting license and have phone number for meat packer where I can have them cut up deer and pack it for between $70 to $90 nearby.. Deer meat tastes good and less fat. That's why I was looking into Compound Bow this year as Christmas gift :lol:

Catty

My late uncle was an accomplished archer. I've done archery when I was younger, but I don't do it anymore. I loved it. My skills are so rusty now. Vacationguy hit a nail. I'd rather to ask a professional archer questions at a local archery shop instead of asking 19-year-old cashier at Walmart. Check your updated city codes, and police department. Neighbors don't like to see you playing with a weapon in urban areas. I still hear about this once in a while.

I am both left handed and right handed when it comes to playing sports. However, I will always be left-handed when I use archery or handgun.

Good luck.

In my area, I can shoot arrows for target shooting even it's urban area. I wouldn't worry because I have 6 ft privacy fence wrapped around in backyard and 6,000 sq ft backyard which is really big enough for archery. Also both neighbors between me do not have kids and they very rarely go outside in backyard except mowing yard. My neighbors don't really care at all even it's an upscale neighborhood. I also live close to big park that have nice archery range where they allow target shooting for small fees. No license for it.

Catty

um... never heard of such thing lol

I've pretty much studied a lot of firearm and firearm-related laws and if I know NY-NJ laws pretty well (which are the most stringent and confusing laws in America), I'm pretty certain that all states have no such laws of what you just said. if you're being arrested for shooting a bow on your property - it's because you're doing it in a very unsafe manner like..... there was a neighbor behind the target lol. it would be very foolish to practice archery in your backyard like.... a suburb.

I think it's best to cite the actual laws before you state such things rather than speculating or "I think"

In KS law, there are no such law against owning or shooting arrows in your own backyard. Even it's Suburb area where I am living in, It's still legal. If I don't want people outside behind back of my fence (that's the main road) to know I'm shooting bow, I would just move to backwall of fence and still be able to shoot arrow 100 ft across my yard without being seen. I agree that you can get arrested for doing unsafe manner. I have 6 ft privacy fence all around and my neighbors hardly in their backyard even though they have nice inground swimming pool in their backyard which was built couple years ago but he got divorced and his wife and his kids moved out so he's all by himself in big home and swimming pool sitting unused throughout summer.

The only thing which is illegal is hunting deers in Suburb area with bow unless if City give you special permit to thin out herd of deers (It did happen in City of Shawnee, Western Shawnee had deer overpopulation and did announce they will provide special permit and particular location in Suburb area to kill deers.

Catty

I always liked bear. Around where I grew upas it was the most popular. . What draw length are you used to? I like more cams cuz when at full draw and waiting for the deer to take a srep or so arounda tree your arm will start shaking. I liked a heavier arrow weight rather than a faster arrow since it. Will pass thru the deer less. Arrows I liked with non retractable, less trouble. Sights are easy to stick on any bow you get or swap them out. Don't know if cabels has used bows but I was at an indoor range over the weekend and there were lots of used bows.

I too like Bear. I've tried it last year and it seem comfortable, reasonable price range and nice features.. I can handle one up to 70lbs draw. My brother have Diamond bow with 70 lb draw and It's kinda easy to stay put long enough with full draw.

I read reviews that one of bow with 70 lbs draw feels like 50 lbs draw but the rating is okay and it's noisiest one on the list.

Good point about non-retractable tip. I agree less trouble.

I will check with Cebalos shop about bow strings quality.

I am going to check out "Clearance" area at store to see if there are reduced price Compound bow. Last year, I went over and there were many "last year" model bows in Clearance section selling 30% to 70% price off. Few are "Refurbished" or with missing parts but intact bow.

Catty

It's legal in Kansas and Missouri (lot of areas across state of KS and MO). There are one deer per person policy. There is no restriction on using Bow for deer hunting but there are restrictions on shooting fishes with bow. Because it is more challenging using Bow than hunting rifle. I already knew about laws here in KS and MO. Some of my deaf friends usually go to hunting every Dec each year with bows. So I'm not worry about state laws, I would just get hunting license and have phone number for meat packer where I can have them cut up deer and pack it for between $70 to $90 nearby.. Deer meat tastes good and less fat. That's why I was looking into Compound Bow this year as Christmas gift :lol:

Catty

Yes, sounds right. I think you will have a good time with it. I'm looking for a local range myself. I may buy another re-curve. I'm not against compound as they are good bows and I have shot with them. I just like the non mechanical feel better and I'm only going for target. If I were hunting, I would probably use the compound.

Good luck.

Growing up as a lefty, I never did see a lot of left handed bows in shops, real archery stores would have some. There always used to be plenty right handed probably due to sale volume.

Yes, sounds right. I think you will have a good time with it. I'm looking for a local range myself. I may buy another re-curve. I'm not against compound as they are good bows and I have shot with them. I just like the non mechanical feel better and I'm only going for target. If I were hunting, I would probably use the compound.

My oldest son like recurve, I told him I prefer compound bow because of high fps speed, accuracy, lightweight, and compact that I can carry around and draw bow in a tight spot.

Crossbow hunting are illegal in most part of State of KS because it's too easy to kill deers and it's is like a rifle in same manner. I believe that it's quiet and deadly. Anyone with crossbow can kill several deers and drive off without paying fees ect..

Catty

Growing up as a lefty, I never did see a lot of left handed bows in shops, real archery stores would have some. There always used to be plenty right handed probably due to sale volume.

It's been a while since I've gone to a local archery shop. I remember there used to be plenty of right handed bows. I moved to Texas from CA about four years ago, and I haven't had an opportunity to go to local archery shops here yet. I'm way behind.

My uncle was also lefty, and had to use right-handed bows, but all he did was practice, practice, and practice. He had hunted deers for meat, and also had a deer head on the wall. You could look into left-handed bows on e-bay for good deals, but I'd rather to test them personally first before I make up my mind.

It's been a while since I've gone to a local archery shop. I remember there used to be plenty of right handed bows. I moved to Texas from CA about four years ago, and I haven't had an opportunity to go to local archery shops here yet. I'm way behind.

My uncle was also lefty, and had to use right-handed bows, but all he did was practice, practice, and practice. He had hunted deers for meat, and also had a deer head on the wall. You could look into left-handed bows on e-bay for good deals, but I'd rather to test them personally first before I make up my mind.

A few towns over there is a shop, I may go this weekend. If I don't pick up a new bow, I'll at least get the one I have tested and stringed. They might even be able to work the handle for me.

I saw Hunger Games the other night and, while it wasn't too bad, I didn't find it all that impressive. There is a TV series called Arrow that looks good.

It would take a long time for me to be good enough to hunt. My guess is I can still shoot well, but even so that's a whole different game.

I haven't read Hunger Games series. I have watched it, and there are some holes in the plot that didn't make sense. I tried to like it, but it was so-so. Someday, I will borrow a book from a friend. I am told it's depressing.

I like Arrow. I've been watching it nonstop since it first aired. His bow skills are awesome, well, unrealistically. lol He makes arrows himself. He doesn't use guns except his bow and arrows, and of course martial art moves. I'm biased, but I totally recommend it. I think you will like it. It make me to realize how much I miss shooting arrows. Well, I have Wii, but it's not the same. lol It's been so long since I shot an arrow. I am way out of shape. Supposedly, there is a local shop called "Outdoor Pro Shop" that is the oldest and largest shop in Dallas, and I've been hearing about it, and that they have good deals for bows. Someday, I will check it out when I have time.

Last night, I went to Cabelas Sporting goods to shop around Compound bows. SalesRep. asked me to try out Bowtech Diamond Razor Edge which I was holding. They have Archery range so he took the bow and brought it to shop to adjust the bow. Honestly, I dont know what the heck he is doing for 15min. While I waited at Archery range. Finally, he came out and handed it over to me. I put on trigger release then drew the bow. It was too easy for me. I shot arrows amd it was off. The range due to sight was out of alignment. I told him that I havent practice archery for 30 years. Biut told him that I did shot arrows with my brother's Diamond bow with 70 lbs draw. I asked him how much is draw lbs. He said 40 lbs draw. I told him I can do 70 lbs. He was surprised. He took bow back to shop and readjusted to maximum setting. After adjustment, he brought back and readjust sight till its corrected. I shot 3 arrows and it was better but off the bulleye range. I decide to mentally adjust the sight just about middle of its shaft then shot it. I hit bulleye and shot two more. He walked to see where arrows hit target. He was shocked that it was 1" diameter right in bulleye. He said Damn you're good. I tred again, same thing on other target. His coworker was behind me watching with unbelief. I asked them how many feet is the range, he said 20 ft. I told them I can do 30 ft with accuracy with my brother's bow. I asked him if I can try Bear Apretice bow. He quickly went out and grabbed Bear bow and handed it to me. I shot three arrows and it was out of alignment for same reason as Diamond. He readjusted sight and tested. Finally got it corrected. He handed over to me. I shot arrows to Coyote target and hit bulleye, same thing 1 inch diameter and both guys were amazed :eek2: He asked me if I wanted to maximize the draw to 70lbs. Yes I told him so he took it to shop and quickly adjusted to maximum then handed back to me. It was little tougher but I can manage with no problem so I told them Im going to shoot each arrows to each targets. I shot arrows and two bulleye and one little out of bulleye. They both shook their head with unbelief. He asked me which bow I like. Bear is the one I liked so I will think about it. He said good and let you know store is closing in 15 min and come back other time and shook my hand :lol:

Catty

I have never hunted or kept up with the archery that we had way, way back when I was in high school but have fond memories of it. So, I clicked on this thread.

Your post reminds me of something I saw in our local newspaper not toooo long ago. There is a processing plant in Southern Illinois working with some food pantries to distribute game from hunters that have more than they can use personally or enjoy hunting but not eating. This seems a perfect fit for two different groups.

Back