Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

The answer is that you really don't know. And choose to implant anyways.

If they can benefit from hearing aids, let them be.

I'll throw myself out as an example, I benefit from hearing aids, and was offered "FREE CI" back then. Real talk.

Whats that?

Also what Kristina threw out there in another thread about doctors preferring her to have residual hearing to get CI's.

Just pointing out another flaw here....

No, I know and have posted several times (as have others) about the methodology used to determine and the requirements for CI candidacy, etc. . The answer is that every time it comes up it derails the thread, and the question is usually brought up to do just that. If that's your goal, OK. Go for it, Troll Master.

No, I know and have posted several times (as have others) about the methodology used to determine and the requirements for CI candidacy, etc. . The answer is that every time it comes up it derails the thread, and the question is usually brought up to do just that. If that's your goal, OK. Go for it, Troll Master.

That doesn't work - You have already derailed the thread. Into two directions. I'm just simply pointing the flaws out after the fact.

I am not sorry you don't like it. If you don't want threads to be derailed, don't contribute to the derailment, honey.

It's interesting how some people like to idolize corporations, no matter what.

Isn't one of the requirements for eligibility for a CI that the person does nit have enough residual hearing to discriminate the speech and language around them? In other words, if a person has decent residual hearing, my understanding is that they wouldn't be a candidate for a CI.

Isn't one of the requirements for eligibility for a CI that the person does nit have enough residual hearing to discriminate the speech and language around them? In other words, if a person has decent residual hearing, my understanding is that they wouldn't be a candidate for a CI.

Supposedly.

nice way of simplifying things. many people with SP/UP hearing aids don't hear without the hearing aids yet they benefit.

The point is whether or not they receive benefit from the HA's, not whether or not they can "hear" with out them. If a person receives sufficient benefit from the HA's then they likely wouldn't be a candidate for the CI. I think that's the point that is trying to be made.

The people who are implanted do not receive benefit from the HA's. Their only options are getting implanted and providing the opportunity to develop some access to speech/sounds, or not implant and they would not have the opportunity in that case.

A person who gets a CI does not benefit from HA's- that is the point.

The point is whether or not they receive benefit from the HA's, not whether or not they can "hear" with out them. If a person receives sufficient benefit from the HA's then they likely wouldn't be a candidate for the CI. I think that's the point that is trying to be made.

The people who are implanted do not receive benefit from the HA's. Their only options are getting implanted and providing the opportunity to develop some access to speech/sounds, or not implant and they would not have the opportunity in that case.

A person who gets a CI does not benefit from HA's- that is the point.

I understand that. However how can one gauge the benefits when the kid is 1-2 years old, with limited communication skills that are normally found in a hearing parent/deaf child combination?

It's already skewed to the hearing perspective from the beginning, hearing parents and their troop of doctors.

I understand that. However how can one gauge the benefits when the kid is 1-2 years old, with limited communication skills that are normally found in a hearing parent/deaf child combination?

It's already skewed to the hearing perspective from the beginning, hearing parents and their troop of doctors.

Not only that, Kids will be kids.. how do you know they just aren't paying attention?

However the end point is usually the journey that parallels these who disliked their experiences.
Sometimes the end-point of one journey is the beginning of the other... And that can be both ways. People choosing to stop CI and be deaf, and people that want to hear, and choose CI..

Sometimes the end-point of one journey is the beginning of the other... And that can be both ways. People choosing to stop CI and be deaf, and people that want to hear, and choose CI..

Exactly. Everyone is an individual with their own set of extenuating circumstances. One path is not " better" than the other. They are just different paths; and I personally respect individual needs and choices, and I respect both paths.

Not only that, Kids will be kids.. how do you know they just aren't paying attention?

Here's a way you can test if you ever get in the situation... It is used with children that are "hooked up" and get very small sounds, actually, more impulses on their CI.. these children have never heard. Their brain has never heard... But there is a way to see if the auditory nerve is stimulated...

They BLINK when a sound is registered by the brain... (or an electrode stimulated..)

It was wonderful to see when Lotte had the first sounds played to her. They started off very carefully, and the only thing we could see was a blink. Nothing else.. During the next couple of days the sensitivity was increased in order for her (her brain) to get used to it...
It took a while for her brain to actually make sense of the new input.. But the brain is good at adapting.. very good...

So.... If you wonder if a child hears.... Make a sudden sound and you'll see the child blink... Or not....

Thats when THEY decide, not the parents.

Here's a way you can test if you ever get in the situation... It is used with children that are "hooked up" and get very small sounds, actually, more impulses on their CI.. these children have never heard. Their brain has never heard... But there is a way to see if the auditory nerve is stimulated...

They BLINK when a sound is registered by the brain... (or an electrode stimulated..)

It was wonderful to see when Lotte had the first sounds played to her. They started off very carefully, and the only thing we could see was a blink. Nothing else.. During the next couple of days the sensitivity was increased in order for her (her brain) to get used to it...
It took a while for her brain to actually make sense of the new input.. But the brain is good at adapting.. very good...

So.... If you wonder if a child hears.... Make a sudden sound and you'll see the child blink... Or not....

I'll get back to this after I am done working. On my break right now. I have several pointers to bring ya. Look forward to it, willcha?

Are you deliberately misreading...
Death is a huge thing... Especially to parents. Don't suggest that the parent is thinking otherwise...

But if you are serious about death being a huge thing... I hope you do not drive a car...

I don't like when Iowaboy or anyone else to downplay the downsides of CI.

I drive a car because I can see the other car easily. It is a virus that I can't see that scares me.

They don't hear...:roll:

Huh? I usually don't answer to my name because the voice blend with other sounds. I hear but don't answer. The one way I answer was what my dad discovered - his shrill whistling. That I could hear it above other sounds.

there are not many hearing parent with no experience with cochlear implants around on this message board...

Most of the arguments are between deaf parents with no experience with cochlear implants and hearing parents with experience with children with cochlear implants.

What I appreciate is that the are passionate that they don't want to see the same thing happen to our children as happened to themselves.
The only thing is.... The starting point of our children is totally different from theirs..

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

A Deaf friend put up a vlog on You-Tube, talking about his son. He said when his twins were born (a boy and a girl), they underwent the hearing tests. The son failed it. The doctors had a talk with the mother (who is a hearing interpreter) about the son getting CI. Well, the father found it out later, he got mad. He refused to consider CI. As the son grew older, he passed the test and he is really hearing. If doctors can make mistakes like this along with misdiagnosing the deaf as mentally retard (in other thread), nothing really had changed. The doctors just found a new way to make the deaf kids hear and talk. That is all.

Yes, of course a hearing aid would be a better choice -- if there were a choice possible. But there isn't, they aren't interchangeable: a person eligible for a CI isn't able to benefit from a hearing aid.

I probably would be a candidate for CI as my hearing is severe to profound. I learned to speak anyway. If a parent want the child just to hear, then the hearing aid will do. I believe the parent nowadays really want the child to be a hearing, period! I just don't like it when they do that at the child's expense (health and life). It is just all about the parents not the deaf child. Just like the parents opted for the oral route in my time - it is all about them, not me. It is like the parents are saying "Me, Me, Me" - nevermind if the child is delayed in language because of the oralism. If the deaf child didn't make it to their expections, the parents would point their finger at the child, saying it is all the child's fault for not trying. What do you know? - three of their fingers are pointing right back at them.

If there is such thing as an ASL implant and I want one for the hearing child. Would you keep quiet? I don't think so.

Back