Cochlear Implant War Forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
One wonders why people think that a parent having their child implanted is expecting a 'perfect' child. I really don't think so since if the implant made the child 'perfect' there would be nothing external to have to bother with. The CI still sits on the ear, body worn processors still need wires the whole thing still needs to be maintained and programmed..... so it's far from making a perfect child. it does however give the child a better chance to hear then they would have without the implant. HA's really aren't that great. :)

jag,

Yes indeed one does wonder why they would think that but perhaps because it is easier to believe the myths and misrepresentations about cochlear implants then the reality as you stated it: "it does however give the child a better chance to hear then they would have without the implant".

I have been around parents of implanted children for twenty years and I do not recall any parent ever saying that they chose the cochlear implant because it would make their child "perfect". The common thread that I have heard expressed from parents who have made a well informed decision to give their child a cochlear implant is similar to what you have already stated: that it will give their child a better chance to hear then they would have without the implant.

Rick

jag,

Yes indeed one does wonder why they would think that but perhaps because it is easier to believe the myths and misrepresentations about cochlear implants then the reality as you stated it: "it does however give the child a better chance to hear then they would have without the implant".

I have been around parents of implanted children for twenty years and I do not recall any parent ever saying that they chose the cochlear implant because it would make their child "perfect". The common thread that I have heard expressed from parents who have made a well informed decision to give their child a cochlear implant is similar to what you have already stated: that it will give their child a better chance to hear then they would have without the implant.

Rick

If it is only about hearing, why do so many parents of implanted children choose the oral only route?

As a parent I would have the right to choose what type of treatement my child would recieve. No deaf person or no hearing person should have the right to tell a parent what is best.

Yes I respectfully agree on this but I think hearing or deaf parents need to open their mind to accept/listen both side instead of one side. Its about child´s interest, not us parents.

I prefer to look at both sides between Experts and real life situation than rely on Experts only.

If it is only about hearing, why do so many parents of implanted children choose the oral only route?

Yes why?? I'm very curious on what Rick's respond would be.

Yes why?? I'm very curious on what Rick's respond would be.
Don't expect him to respond, Jillio is just baiting him for another attack on her so she can get him banned again...

Don't expect him to respond, Jillio is just baiting him for another attack on her so she can get him banned again...

:roll:

We are not going back to all this game playing again, are we?

My, aren't you the defensive one today!

I think we all know why he hasn't responded, and it has nothing to do with me. I don't get rick48 banned. He is quite capable of doing that on his own.

Obviously, I am not the only one who has that particular question. Perhaps you would care to explain why, if it is all about hearing, so many parents of CI implanted children choose the oral only route.

Thats enough!!!!!! Boult...

I agree...enough with the accusations and personal attacks. Now, let's get back on topic instead of pointing fingers and blaming others for one's own actions.

I agree...enough with the accusations and personal attacks. Now, let's get back on topic instead of pointing fingers and blaming others for one's own actions.

Thank you very much...

Mod Note:

*sighs*

This kind of comment or gesture is what provokes flame-wars--.

Another words, it almost falls under one of the rules outlined for Alldeaf--therefore, pls. choose your words more carefully without making it 'look' like it's enticing others to jump in and wellllll...an all-out flame-war is brewing within a thread--something we all don't need.

Now, let's all step back for a moment and take a deep breath...and carry on in a good way without stirring things up whether intentionally or unintentionally.

:ty:

~RR

If you really want to know then you should have spent the last 20 years listening to those parents as I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back