Cochlear Implant War Forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah that's slightly inaccurate. In mild cases yes, you can't tell. But, in some severe cases you can tell that something is wrong. There was this guy who went to my college who had Asperger's Syndrome, and it was VERY severe and obvious. You could tell just by looking at him, that something was wrong.......he looked like a homeless person, and there was just this vibe that he was very nereologically aytpical.

Thanks, you're correct in that it varies with severity, but we were discussing mild cases. Dreama had mentioned the mild cases, and I was responding to that in particular.

Thanks, you're correct in that it varies with severity, but we were discussing mild cases. Dreama had mentioned the mild cases, and I was responding to that in particular.

Could shed some light on what the prelingual, perilingual and post lingual classifications are?

Sadly... Gone the mad!
I have nothing, What I can do w/other forums.. Their own choice.. Of course as far I know her since but she is the one losing marbles!

Actually I do support tiny things.
I do not approval Hearing parents think the best one choice way for implant tiny baby which baby isn't perfect.. Decide to have surgery and make a baby perfect child! What make me sick full of my somatch.. because baby have no power to speak it out their voice.. Sadly.. I do agree more and also otherwise, Young Children or Teenager or Adult can make their decision and want have implant that's fine as long their choice.. but BABIES cannot speak their voice as rights!

Pretty Scary out there... what more: Hospital or other agency will say.. CI no other opinions! Will be always 1 opinions no other 2nd opinions.

I'm not here for debate w/you others..
Just My insects feelings and doesn't want Deaf Community become Grave and good bye SIGN LANGUAGES. Guess What, 94% percent CI-children will be always not allowed Sign Languages in Ontario, Canada some where the School.. I was very extremely upset about this one because Child will not find their own identity's.. *Break my heart*
Child's future will not knowledge about sign languages.. That big huge difficulties..

Look the back years 1944'ish sumth'n... Simlair alike Nazi's Hitler type wanted "Wipe the Jews and disabilities people off and go to Gas Chambers building", and wanted pure strong bloodline of Germany or perfect Blondie hair woman.. Their point of view preferences..
Exact simlair alike CI (Doctor and other agency really wanted see perfect child instead disabilities child.) Sound huge discrimination what Deaf people's feeling? Deaf ppl will not exist in the future. How can you deal with ?

One wonders why people think that a parent having their child implanted is expecting a 'perfect' child. I really don't think so since if the implant made the child 'perfect' there would be nothing external to have to bother with. The CI still sits on the ear, body worn processors still need wires the whole thing still needs to be maintained and programmed..... so it's far from making a perfect child. it does however give the child a better chance to hear then they would have without the implant. HA's really aren't that great. :)

Could shed some light on what the prelingual, perilingual and post lingual classifications are?

My post was in reference to Asperger's, but sure. Postlingual is hearing loss after the age of language acquisition, commonly after the age of 3. Prelingual is prior to age 3.

One wonders why people think that a parent having their child implanted is expecting a 'perfect' child. I really don't think so since if the implant made the child 'perfect' there would be nothing external to have to bother with. The CI still sits on the ear, body worn processors still need wires the whole thing still needs to be maintained and programmed..... so it's far from making a perfect child. it does however give the child a better chance to hear then they would have without the implant. HA's really aren't that great. :)

I agree with GA's views that it is terrible that those children with CIs are not allowed to learn sign language in Canada. It is sad.

and perilingal means that the person lost hearing while they were in the process of learning language.
She does have a perspective similar to many posties.
Oh I agree. Thing is, posties do tend to identify strongly as pretty much hearing, and more actually hearing impaired then deaf or hoh. There are some late deafened and postie folks who actually think ASL and deaf culture is pretty cool and useful.....but they tend to be in the minority.

Oh and GalaxyAngel,
It is too bad that most implantees are "oral onlied", but I do recall reading that most oral kids do eventually pick up ASL as a second language. Still........they should get exposure early on. Also b/c implantation criteria is stricter in Canada, there's not even a population that could hear some (like words etc) with HA, so they have a spoken language foundation to build on at least for the prelingals.

and perilingal means that the person lost hearing while they were in the process of learning language.
Oh I agree. Thing is, posties do tend to identify strongly as pretty much hearing, and more actually hearing impaired then deaf or hoh. There are some late deafened and postie folks who actually think ASL and deaf culture is pretty cool and useful.....but they tend to be in the minority.

OOPS! Thanks dd. I missed that one in my reply! Thanks for getting my back!:giggle:

I believe that Matthew Moore prefer to look for some people who have the same mind, same opinions, same voices, and " same " everything to support his forum.... just like one of you said that you were banned just because, of your disagreement with Sweetmind.

I find this appalling and ridiculous! I am glad that I don't go there and read their posts. :)

Yes I suspect the same as you, Maria.

I am total speechless after read the whole thread here. I cannot see the reason why members were being banned because they have different view as the Forum owner and his moderators. If they have rules that we have to share the same opinion as them and accept one side, not both side then don´t go there.

Yes I thought the same as you as well, GalaxyAngel.

I believe that Matthew Moore prefer to look for some people who have the same mind, same opinions, same voices, and " same " everything to support his forum.... just like one of you said that you were banned just because, of your disagreement with Sweetmind.

I find this appalling and ridiculous! I am glad that I don't go there and read their posts. :)

I believe so too, what good would that do when everyone has to agree on everything, it's like pretending to be someone else and not someone who we really are. If that's the way it should be over there, then I'm glad that I'm not there anymore.

You know much of the use of adults who aquire hearing loss using asl has alot to do with where they live and if they have access and the time to interact with the signing deaf community. I have nothing against your use of asl, but the option is not the best for myself because 1. I do not live near a large deaf community. and 2. between job and family there really isn't a whole lot of extra time to drive and participate in the deaf community.

It would be nice if some people would quit generalizing about why 'posties' identify with the hearing community. Why not just except that we are all different and will all aquire the best means of communicating based on our lives not just our hearing status.

Have a great new year. :)

It would be nice if some people would quit generalizing about why 'posties' identify with the hearing community. Why not just except that we are all different and will all aquire the best means of communicating based on our lives not just our hearing status.

Have a great new year. :)

Deaf people are the same in very way, just like hearing people are the same in very way. If hearing people all use the same spoken language. Shouldn't all Deaf people use the same sign language?

something for you to think about Jag.

Oh I agree with you on that one!

Yep that's how it goes for years. They dislike anyone who disagree with them and they don't want them around. All they have to do is push ban button. They just want anyone on their side not "opposites". It doesn't work that way. And yes it is ridiculous. They think they know it all and have all the power but they're wrong. For them what goes around comes back to them ;)

Btw I haven't been to that forum or DC since several years. No point in going back heh.

I went to DeafNotes once...too much negativity so I lost interest in it. I didnt realize that the moderators were THAT extreme. Interesting...

Yep that's how it goes for years. They dislike anyone who disagree with them and they don't want them around. All they have to do is push ban button. They just want anyone on their side not "opposites". It doesn't work that way. And yes it is ridiculous. They think they know it all and have all the power but they're wrong. For them what goes around comes back to them ;)

Btw I haven't been to that forum or DC since several years. No point in going back heh.

And that is why this forum is more successful than other forums in the Deaf community. DN is a prime example of what NOT to do if you want to be a successful website administrator. If i were to run a website forum like this one, I'd follow Alex's example - not Matthew Moore's example.

BTW, is DC a website or are you referring to Washington, DC?

And that is why this forum is more successful than other forums in the Deaf community. DN is a prime example of what NOT to do if you want to be a successful website administrator. If i were to run a website forum like this one, I'd follow Alex's example - not Matthew Moore's example.

BTW, is DC a website or are you referring to Washington, DC?

DC is DeafChat. And I agree completely with you on following Alex's example. Went there a few times, but wasn't too fond of the site.

DC is DeafChat. And I agree completely with you on following Alex's example. Went there a few times, but wasn't too fond of the site.

Doh! Silly me. I have heard of this site. I've never gone there but I've certainly heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back