Cochlear Implant War Forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, I never wanted join other forum where Matthew was created it, plus Sweetmind has joined here, along with him, I think so.

I would get banned from his forum if I sign it then Sweetmind would whine to him to ban me and Sweetmind is just full of blah.

Well, I just not want take anyone's side about HA or CI issue.

Well, I don't think Sweetmind will ban me or run to Matthew to whine about before he could ban me.... and, yet I am still not interested in readin' their posts, if nothin' is unique about the different opinions and disagreements with each other. If, every one has the same mind, or same voice as them - I would find it borin' and there's nothin' to learn from.

It would be nice to challenge if, both sides are different. Lol

Yep that's how it goes for years. They dislike anyone who disagree with them and they don't want them around. All they have to do is push ban button. They just want anyone on their side not "opposites". It doesn't work that way. And yes it is ridiculous. They think they know it all and have all the power but they're wrong. For them what goes around comes back to them ;)

Btw I haven't been to that forum or DC since several years. No point in going back heh.

Oh, they just want anyone on their side not " opposite " ? :hmm: I know it doesn't work that way. I have to agree with ya on that part...but, gee that's too judgmental if, they want only ONE side. :ugh:

I don't think they know it all. I mean, they just can't know it all. It's impossible for anyone to know it all. Of course, they don't have all the power. We both know it. :)

They just love the attention other people are giving. That's all. But..... that " attention " don't last forever. :giggle: That shows how stupid they are...... whoops!

:scatter:

And that is why this forum is more successful than other forums in the Deaf community. DN is a prime example of what NOT to do if you want to be a successful website administrator. If i were to run a website forum like this one, I'd follow Alex's example - not Matthew Moore's example.

BTW, is DC a website or are you referring to Washington, DC?

Yes I agree with you that we would follow Alex's example on how AD runs and more freedom of speech and expression with respect. Unlike DN, it's opposite as most of you know. I like the AD environment here :)

Oh, they just want anyone on their side not " opposite " ? :hmm: I know it doesn't work that way. I have to agree with ya on that part...but, gee that's too judgmental if, they want only ONE side. :ugh:

I don't think they know it all. I mean, they just can't know it all. It's impossible for anyone to know it all. Of course, they don't have all the power. We both know it. :)

They just love the attention other people are giving. That's all. But..... that " attention " don't last forever. :giggle: That shows how stupid they are...... whoops!

:scatter:

Yes that's true and ofc nothing lasts forever lol :giggle:

Oh well the old timers are the best but sadly nothing is the same now.

Yes I agree with you that we would follow Alex's example on how AD runs and more freedom of speech and expression with respect. Unlike DN, it's opposite as most of you know. I like the AD environment here :)

Yes that's true and ofc nothing lasts forever lol :giggle:

Oh well the old timers are the best but sadly nothing is the same now.

Oh, yeah I remember the old timers. Sad that we don't see them anymore. The clock won't stop tickin' and it still runs forward. :(

Deaf people are the same in very way, just like hearing people are the same in very way. If hearing people all use the same spoken language. Shouldn't all Deaf people use the same sign language?

something for you to think about Jag.

hearing people do not all use the same language. they even speak with different dialects and accents etc. To a friend in Tenn. a COKE is any kind of pop/soda, to me it is a coke.

I'm deaf, I'm not you and I'm happy with my way of communicating. It's just as good as yours and my child who also have hearing loss and uses HA's grew up without sign and still does not really use it. The only child I have who uses it for educational purposes is the one who has mental retardation and hearing loss. She has never been able to speak clearly. But since we are not near her school and don't have the time to socialize reguallary with the deaf community around here or there our asl skills will not become fluent they'll just stay very very basic. And I as a deaf person am quite comforatalbe with that, I really don't need sign to learn or to communicate.

In other words we are not all the same.

hearing people do not all use the same language. .

When I said "spoken language" I meant "spoken form of communication" They only have one form of communication. (using their voice, speaking, speech)

To let you all know.... Sweetmind IS NOT A MODERATOR in DeafNotes... NO need talking against her...

Angel, Are these the rules that you are talking about from that site?

The moderators' role in this forum is to make sure of two things: 1) that the rules are observed and 2) that the discussion stays within the topic.

Moderators will review all pre-posts before they are posted online. They will be checking to make sure that the pre-posts are acceptable, in accordance with the rules. They can lock or unlock the topic. They can move your post to the correct topic if they feel it's not right for their department. For example, if you're on the topic of medical versus cultural view, but your pre-post really focuses on educational, the moderator can transfer the post to the Educational and Ethical issues topic.

They will not have the authority to ban members, but they can recommend it to me, giving their reasons.

hearing people do not all use the same language. they even speak with different dialects and accents etc. To a friend in Tenn. a COKE is any kind of pop/soda, to me it is a coke.

I'm deaf, I'm not you and I'm happy with my way of communicating. It's just as good as yours and my child who also have hearing loss and uses HA's grew up without sign and still does not really use it. The only child I have who uses it for educational purposes is the one who has mental retardation and hearing loss. She has never been able to speak clearly. But since we are not near her school and don't have the time to socialize reguallary with the deaf community around here or there our asl skills will not become fluent they'll just stay very very basic. And I as a deaf person am quite comforatalbe with that, I really don't need sign to learn or to communicate.

In other words we are not all the same.

What does socialize within the deaf community has to do with knowing sign lanuage? Do you understand what most people are saying 90% of the time?. You're an adult you have a right to choose which ever you prefer to use, but when it comes to deaf children, that's another story.

Also, I would like you read what Jodee Mundy (hearing) says below. ( something you should think about )

"The fact that most people think talking is the only way to communicate is so narrow-minded because hearing people are the ones who can't communicate when they are on a bus and there is someone outside waving goodbye. They are the ones who can't communicate under water if they are scuba diving. They are the ones that can't communicate across the street or in a loud nightclub. It's deaf people who can. I wish people would see the richness and the wealth of the deaf world."

Interview: Jodee Mundy | Family | Guardian Unlimited

What does socialize within the deaf community has to do with knowing sign lanuage? Do you understand what most people are saying 90% of the time?. You're an adult you have a right to choose which ever you prefer to use, but when it comes to deaf children, that's another story.

Also, I would like you read what Jodee Mundy (hearing) says below. ( something you should think about )

Interview: Jodee Mundy | Family | Guardian Unlimited

To actually learn to use asl I would need more of an immersion learning situation. I've tried the tapes and stuff but you need to use it or lose it with this language (and others i remember pretty much zilch of the hs spanish I took...which I really didn't learnt much in cause I missed to much of the instruction, lol)

Actualy pre ci I was down to understanding what people where saying in quite conditions (sound booth) around 70% of the time. Now with CI that has only risen to 90% but boy what an improvement.

As a parent I would have the right to choose what type of treatement my child would recieve. No deaf person or no hearing person should have the right to tell a parent what is best.

I've said before that if the deaf community wants to help educate parents on the options available they really do need to do some type of information packet and find a way to distribute that information to families of newly diaganosed infants/children. Yes there are confidentiality issues but some down syndrome groups have gotten by that by giving the drs offices and hospitals the information and having them distribute it when a diagnosis of DS is made. Deaf groups could do the same.

I see that Jodi Mundee doesn't really know how hearing people really do communicate in those situations. LOL But you're right, signing does come in handy in some situations. But hearing comes in handy in many more since most of the world actually speaks.....ahh corrections I see that she is hearing in a deaf family. So I'll disagree with Jodi. (see we all have differnt opinions on what is good and what is not. lol)

To actually learn to use asl I would need more of an immersion learning situation. I've tried the tapes and stuff but you need to use it or lose it with this language (and others i remember pretty much zilch of the hs spanish I took...which I really didn't learnt much in cause I missed to much of the instruction, lol)

Actualy pre ci I was down to understanding what people where saying in quite conditions (sound booth) around 70% of the time. Now with CI that has only risen to 90% but boy what an improvement.

As a parent I would have the right to choose what type of treatement my child would recieve. No deaf person or no hearing person should have the right to tell a parent what is best.

I've said before that if the deaf community wants to help educate parents on the options available they really do need to do some type of information packet and find a way to distribute that information to families of newly diaganosed infants/children. Yes there are confidentiality issues but some down syndrome groups have gotten by that by giving the drs offices and hospitals the information and having them distribute it when a diagnosis of DS is made. Deaf groups could do the same.

I see that Jodi Mundee doesn't really know how hearing people really do communicate in those situations. LOL But you're right, signing does come in handy in some situations. But hearing comes in handy in many more since most of the world actually speaks.....ahh corrections I see that she is hearing in a deaf family. So I'll disagree with Jodi. (see we all have differnt opinions on what is good and what is not. lol)

Interesting :hmm:

Now explain to me why you disagree with Jodi? you're not hearing, she is, so therefore she knows HOW hearing people really do communicate in those situations. and what she said is so true. There is no harm of adding sign language in this intervention process and do you think it is alright for the doctors or audiologists to tell the parents not to let their deaf child learn sign language? yet you says " No deaf person or no hearing person should have the right to tell a parent what is best" but yet most of these hearing parents listen to them anyways, you don't believe me? check out Youtube, most of them stated the reason why they choose oral only now here is what I believe, that they should inform the parents of deaf child about all options and then go from there, meaning put their deaf child's needs first before themselves.

Interesting :hmm:

Now explain to me why you disagree with Jodi? you're not hearing, she is, so therefore she knows HOW hearing people really do communicate in those situations. and what she said is so true. There is no harm of adding sign language in this intervention process and do you think it is alright for the doctors or audiologists to tell the parents not to let their deaf child learn sign language? yet you says " No deaf person or no hearing person should have the right to tell a parent what is best" but yet most of these hearing parents listen to them anyways, you don't believe me? check out Youtube, most of them stated the reason why they choose oral only now here is what I believe, that they should inform the parents of deaf child about all options and then go from there, meaning put their deaf child's needs first before themselves.

You're absolutely correct. Most likely, right off the bat you'll have audiologists and doctors encouraging the hearing parents to look into speech therapy, and cochlear implants and warn the parents not to expose their deaf children to sign language or Deaf culture. It's enough to make deaf people scream, doesn't it?

It's important for hearing parents to be aware that-- the key is to find a methodology that matches their deaf child, not by forcing their child to match a methodology.

You're absolutely correct. Most likely, right off the bat you'll have audiologists and doctors encouraging the hearing parents to look into speech therapy, and cochlear implants and warn the parents not to expose their deaf children to sign language or Deaf culture. It's enough to make deaf people scream, doesn't it?

It's important for hearing parents to be aware that-- the key is to find a methodology that matches their deaf child, not by forcing their child to match a methodology.

Very well put, Cheri!

the key is to find a methodology that matches their deaf child, not by forcing their child to match a methodology.
If a kid has been exposed to ASL and really doesn't find(ie there's no "pressure from the parents) it to their liking ....GOOD!!!! My friend's little girl actually started out with ASL and even went to a school for the Deaf (not oral) but Remy decided on HER OWN that she is fine with not signing. She decided that on her OWN.
Doing a full toolbox early intervention approach for dhh kids would save virtually EVERYONE a huge amount of pain and grief.
So often the "decision" to be oral only has been based on "oh ASL/Sign is special needs. It's a "crutch"...you don't need it."

Good post sis and I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back