CI Surgery approved today

If one has "difficulty" in certain circumstances- visit the audi and alter the mapping programme.
Hopefully that will "fix the matter".

I am super excited. I used Facetime to speak with my daughter in Ireland. I used my cable from my CI to my IPad and I could actually hear her. She speaks nice and slow and it worked. Technology is amazing!!!!

Funny, I could hear the bluejays in the backyard today.....set off the house alarm and didn't hear a thing.

I just read your entire thing from post one to the very end over a two day period. It actually made me really hopeful about getting a CI.

I am still kinda riding the fence as to whether I want it or not, but reading this really helped.

I have had my CI for about 1&1/2 years and just recently my rechargeable batteries are not holding their charge very long. I use to get two full days, now maybe ten hours.

Should they be running out of juice already? When do most of these rechargeable batteries need to be replaced? How much do they cost?

Thanks my friends.

Last edited:
I just read your entire thing from post one to the very end over a two day period. It actually made me really hopeful about getting a CI.

I am still kinda riding the fence as to whether I want it or not, but reading this really helped.

So glad my posts have been helpful. Feel free to ask me anything you want.
Best of luck in your decisions.

Angel, I had my n5 for over 2 years (where did the time go!), the batteries I had were the original ones from my upgrade to n5, it's still holding their charge. I still get 2 days out of them (I change them every tues, Thursday and sat mornings, the Sunday is the ear's day off) and I have 4 standard batteries.

My CI batteries are not even lasting one day. They are only 1&1/2 years old. I don't know what the problem is. Hubby thinks that maybe the charger is not working correctly. I put a fully charged battery on my CI at noon today and now at 5pm it just died.

I guess I will try contacting Cochlear and see if they will do anything.

I was online with Cochlear to order the aqua bags for my CI. I didn't know that they have a whole new kit to make your CI waterproof. Super expensive though $249.00 so I just ordered the little bags and will see how they work.

I have the Nucleus 5 by the way.

I was online with Cochlear to order the aqua bags for my CI. I didn't know that they have a whole new kit to make your CI waterproof. Super expensive though $249.00 so I just ordered the little bags and will see how they work.

I have the Nucleus 5 by the way.

Did you ever figure out if it was your batteries or the charger and get it fixed?

Did you ever figure out if it was your batteries or the charger and get it fixed?

Hey Botti...it was because of you I even went on line and found some fun stuff. My youngest daughter spent the day with me and she is a computer wiz, unlike me, so she and I did a little CI shopping. Ordered a cute processor cover and coil magnet and the water proof baggies.

The problem I had mentioned with my batteries seemed to work itself out. My rechargeable batteries last about a day and a half. Not sure about other CI users.

Hey Botti...it was because of you I even went on line and found some fun stuff. My youngest daughter spent the day with me and she is a computer wiz, unlike me, so she and I did a little CI shopping. Ordered a cute processor cover and coil magnet and the water proof baggies.

The problem I had mentioned with my batteries seemed to work itself out. My rechargeable batteries last about a day and a half. Not sure about other CI users.

I do not know much about CI. I do notice that my hub likes rechargeable batteries better than regular batteries. Thats all I know.

I do not know much about CI. I do notice that my hub likes rechargeable batteries better than regular batteries. Thats all I know.

I always use the rechargeable batteries. My CI came with three batteries. Two large and one smalller. I keep the smaller one in my purse just in case the battery I am wearing dies. I have never even tried the "hearing aid" batteries. I might get it out and try it just so I know what I am doing if I ever need to go that route.

I was surprised that Cochlear had added quite a few new accesories to their online store. The processor covers have always been there but now they added coil magnet covers to match the processor covers. I also was quite shocked that they added a new waterproof kit. I knew they had the little baggies but what they're offering now is pretty new. If I spent a lot of time outdoors, near water etc. it would definitely be worth buying. $249 is pretty expensive though. So I just bought the baggies and will let everyone know how they work once I try them. I really don't see how they can be very comfortable.

People getting a CI in the near future will have so many more options then I did just two years ago. I know Mike and Amber might be looking into a CI soon and I think both of them would love the waterproof option.

I know I never will do my other ear but I am finding it difficult to only have one sided hearing. Constantly moving to be on the right side of people I am trying to talk to. Technology is wonderful and I am so grateful I am able to hear what I can right now. Exciting times ahead for people wanting a CI.

I always use the rechargeable batteries. My CI came with three batteries. Two large and one smalller. I keep the smaller one in my purse just in case the battery I am wearing dies. I have never even tried the "hearing aid" batteries. I might get it out and try it just so I know what I am doing if I ever need to go that route.

I was surprised that Cochlear had added quite a few new accesories to their online store. The processor covers have always been there but now they added coil magnet covers to match the processor covers. I also was quite shocked that they added a new waterproof kit. I knew they had the little baggies but what they're offering now is pretty new. If I spent a lot of time outdoors, near water etc. it would definitely be worth buying. $249 is pretty expensive though. So I just bought the baggies and will let everyone know how they work once I try them. I really don't see how they can be very comfortable.

People getting a CI in the near future will have so many more options then I did just two years ago. I know Mike and Amber might be looking into a CI soon and I think both of them would love the waterproof option.

I know I never will do my other ear but I am finding it difficult to only have one sided hearing. Constantly moving to be on the right side of people I am trying to talk to. Technology is wonderful and I am so grateful I am able to hear what I can right now. Exciting times ahead for people wanting a CI.

Cochlear's new accessory package was JUST recently FDA approved (like within the last 2 weeks). The new one is solid plastic and comes with a waterproof headpiece/coil as part of the package so yeah, it'll be more expensive. AB also has a new aqua package for the new Naida BTE's (there's is a waterproof case/box with the AquaMic + aqua cable connected to the case, rather than the BTE style like Cochlear's). Pretty neat to see the companies coming up with solutions for water activities. Is Med-El going to do something to waterproof their devices, I wonder?

I received a call today, my CI surgery was approved by my insurance. They scheduled surgery in 12 days!!May 2nd is the big day!! I think I am a little bit in shock that it is happening so fast. Next week will be busy with all the preop appointments. It really set in when they called and asked me which ear I wanted to have done. Both ears have no hearing remaining, so I chose the side I do not sleep on. I pray I am making the right decision. I am scared to be in a hospital again, after my long illness last year but have to keep the faith!!!!:angel:

YAY!!! I'm so happy for you!!!! :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had cochlear implant surgery in 1991 when I was 9 years old. I switched from medicaid to medicare when I was 18. They won't pay for CI device. :( You guys are lucky!

I had cochlear implant surgery in 1991 when I was 9 years old. I switched from medicaid to medicare when I was 18. They won't pay for CI device. :( You guys are lucky!

Do you still have CI processor etc? I dont know about medicare to accept the old device and replace to a new device??? Have you check with medicare again about it?

Do you still have CI processor etc? I dont know about medicare to accept the old device and replace to a new device??? Have you check with medicare again about it?

Like all government organizations, you need to press them. Does she have Medicare supplemental insurance, has CI manufacturer submitted a claim along with an ENTs letter of medical necessity? She should receive an estimate on what is covered and what portion of the cost she is responsible for.

Back