CI Surgery approved today

Final conclussion on my diagnosis is that I have Hyperacusis which explains a lot of. My issues. The plane ride most likely will be painful, but keeping my fingers crossed. Also have something called Recruitment. I haven't read all the paperwork yet cos I don't want to freak over anything before vacation.

my audi thankfully knows some sign, she isn't fluent, but she can sign some. When I went in for my CI eval, and all appointments up to activation, they provided an interpreter for me. After, they wanted to see how much I was understanding with just the CI, when I'm not understanding, my audi will happily sign with me, or when they are doing the actual programming of my MAP.

@Angel,
Recruitment means that loud sounds are just louder for you, and can occasionally be painful. Have a good trip.

ALOHA!!! All that worry about my ears hurting on the flight was for nothing. Ears did great, back and neck not so much:) It is pretty windy here but so beautiful. The view from our 8th floor condo is amazing. I am so glad I was able to travel cos my hubby so deserved this trip. Happy days!!!!

ALOHA!!! All that worry about my ears hurting on the flight was for nothing. Ears did great, back and neck not so much:) It is pretty windy here but so beautiful. The view from our 8th floor condo is amazing. I am so glad I was able to travel cos my hubby so deserved this trip. Happy days!!!!

Send back a picture surfing! :wave:

I am getting tired of people thinking I am "cured" because I have a CI.My husband will tell someone "my wife is deaf but has a cochlear implant, you need to face her and talk slow so she can lipread you"

They hear "my wife is deaf but can hear you now, so talk as fast as you want and make sure you turn your back to her that will help her so much"
Drives me crazy!!!!

I am getting tired of people thinking I am "cured" because I have a CI.My husband will tell someone "my wife is deaf but has a cochlear implant, you need to face her and talk slow so she can lipread you"

They hear "my wife is deaf but can hear you now, so talk as fast as you want and make sure you turn your back to her that will help her so much"
Drives me crazy!!!!

That never stops, even when you wear hearing aids. At work, we had a speaker from New Jersey, and I swear the woman yelled the whole hour. I actually had to turn the hearing aids down. How often does that happen? And....she walked up and down the room so I heard her...and then didn't hear her. She brought no material and frankly I can't take notes and listen to the speaker so everything went over my head. Total waste of time. Then I'm meeting one of the women where I sit and I didn't realize that she was still talking to me because she turned her back towards me and kept talking to the window. You'd think people would be tipped off by me sitting in the front row saying "I'm kinda deaf..." or turning up my hearing aids in front of them...but no....people see what they make up their minds to see and thinking rarely enters into it.

Laura

Drives me crazy!!!!

:lol:

Yep. Two problems: 1) People don't know what 'deaf' means, and 2) If you and/or your husband only say "She is deaf, she needs to read your lips", and not mention anything about having a CI, as many people think that a hearing device makes you normal.

When i was a kid, I've had teachers complain to the principal that I am ignoring everyone in class because I don't respond to their questions. Even the music teacher complained that I am not trying hard enough to recognize which instrument makes what sounds. And these are supposed to be 'educated' people....

That is what I told my husband to say, we will try that next time. Unfortunately he does this to me too when he gets tired. I love to talk so part of this is my fault. He will be in the kitchen and I will ask him a question then get mad when he answers me from so far away, poor guy!!!

When I was in the hospital in Maui there was a sign above my bed that said I was deaf. Not one single person tried to communicate with me. I was pretty much forced to wear my CI, I was freaked I was going to damage it because I was covered in sand.

That being said, I think I need to change my mic covers because everything sounds extremely garbled.

Does changing the mic covers make a big difference in how you hear? Just curious because my CI was doing pretty well but after returning from Maui everything sounds more garbled.

Obviously I didn't wear it at the beach but I needed to wear it in the ER. Thinking maybe some sand got in it.

Would putting it in the Zypher help?

Thanks!!

I should borrow that sign from you, I can use it at work....

Laura

I had that sign above my hospital bed during my first CI surgery. No one understood what it meant. One of the nurses woke me up and handed me the phone and said "someone wants to talk to you". I said that I was deaf, and she looked at me like I was a freak, and told the person on the phone that I was deaf.....

So, people will either not understand what it means, or they will treat you like you have the Ebola virus....

couldn't hurt to change out the mic covers and running it through the dry&store/zypher to see if that clears up the issue. If it still sounds funny, do some troubleshooting and contact your audie.

Sorry I haven't posted here in awhile. I haven't been back to see my audi cos I broke my leg. I still have only had one mapping. I can't seem to go any louder and was diagnosed with hyperacusis. I can hear some though, so I am glad I went through with it. My tinnitus is so, so bad and loud it masks most of what I should be hearing.

So I have a question....something new has started. In my completely deaf, non implanted ear, when I talk or hum it feels like I am under water. I am thinking maybe it has water in it or congested. I took some decongestants and waiting to see if they will work. Any idea?

Hubby and I are going to try to find a new audi. The one I have now just doesn't have the experience I need. When I talk to her about my terrible tinnitus, she has actually laughed. So not fumny!!! Thanks!!!

why would she laugh? tinnitus is definitely not funny. Hope the new audie is much better.

Oh wow Angel that looks soooo painful and irritating, and you said it took 2 months to go away. Oh my heart bleeds for you honey!!!

Wow Angel that's awful! I'm so sorry that happened to you :(

When my voice sounds like I'm underwater I immediately take decongestant. It's a recurring problem for me, though.

Sorry the picture is really gross. That was definitely the worst part of my CI surgery. I didn't want to scare anyone who might be thinking of getting a CI.

It spread from my neck to my chest, back and arms. I had two steroid shots on I think day ten and it still took that long to heal.

This is the first time my other ear has felt plugged. Took the decongestants and waiting to see if it helps. I see my doctor on Friday.

I don't think it's any grosser than incision pictures! I looked at a TON of those before my surgery.

I had that sign above my hospital bed during my first CI surgery. No one understood what it meant. One of the nurses woke me up and handed me the phone and said "someone wants to talk to you". I said that I was deaf, and she looked at me like I was a freak, and told the person on the phone that I was deaf.....

So, people will either not understand what it means, or they will treat you like you have the Ebola virus....

Oh yes, I think they all heard that deafness is catching lol :) I have that too.. first they don't understand what you mean, and then you see the look on their faces when they finally get it, and then it's like, "stay away from me, I don't want to get whatever it is you have" lol :)

Back