Childhood Abuse Higher Among the Deaf

I have told a doctor when I was a child. He just carried on removing the tumor I got in my arm from being bitten and then sent me home........

That's unconscionable, Botts. Sorry you had to experience that. :hug:

That's unconscionable, Botts. Sorry you had to experience that. :hug:

Thank you Doc. It's only a small example of my childhood. Maybe it illustrates a little of why I am a bit eccentric. :)

Thank you Doc. It's only a small example of my childhood. Maybe it illustrates a little of why I am a bit eccentric. :)

You're welcome.
Thank goodness for eccentric! "Normal" is highly over-rated! :giggle:

My deafness enabled the abuse at home to continue because I was unable to tell anyone what was happening.

I know you're deaf, but there's a song sung by my friend Martina McBride: "Concrete Angel." I wont' go in details, but I have a personal tie with that song when it was written. The lyrics are powerful.

I have told a doctor when I was a child. He just carried on removing the tumor I got in my arm from being bitten and then sent me home........

That doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. But I am sorry that you had that experience at the hands of a so-called professional.

In my work I care for the most vulnerable children; those who cannot communicate, move, or care for themselves. We have include this issue in our training curriculum. Parents often become offended or angry when I do ask questions or teach them ("we don't do that in our home"). I have to let it roll off my back. I'd rather wrongfully evaluate 10 children for potential abuse than miss a single child who was.

Absolutely. I'm glad that it is included in some curriculums. Unfortunately there are too many that are in the position to make this situation better that simply are unaware of the increased risk...nursing curriculum and special ed teachers come to mind.

And I agree. That is why mandated reporting states that one must report even a suspicion of abuse. Better to be wrong than to risk abuse continuing for one child.

Neglect is what I see happen too often with many of the children I work with. Unfortunately, social services dont see the limited communication between the children and their parents as a form of neglect/abuse.

Sometimes it can be hard to know if you been abused, some children might not know it happening to them, I think in mental abuse is harder to catch.

Sometimes it can be hard to know if you been abused, some children might not know it happening to them, I think in mental abuse is harder to catch.

Yes, I agree. Usually those who have been mentally abused blame themselves, not their abuser.

Yes, I agree. Usually those who have been mentally abused blame themselves, not their abuser.

Yeo, also physical abuse seem be covered lot more than mental abuse and people know about it. I don't think too many know what exactly is mental abuse and what is being just nasty.

For your information, I didn't say it was just at these schools. However, I'm not going to lie and say that nothing happened there. The topic is about abuse among the deaf children, regardless of where they experience it.
Yes, I know. But the point I bring up is that abusive situtions aren't just exclusive to Deaf Schools. It is a concern, and it does happen....but abusive situtions happen EVERYWHERE. It's important to note that there can be a risk of abuse in boarding school situtions (and that means ALL boarding schools including the kind that are feeder schools for the Ivy League)
I mean god the shit I experianced as a kid, (not from family) if I had been a different race or religion, it would have been classfied as a freaking hate crime!!!

Neglect is what I see happen too often with many of the children I work with. Unfortunately, social services dont see the limited communication between the children and their parents as a form of neglect/abuse.

Sad, isn't it? Especially when people in my field sees what that does to the ability to form relationships later in life.

Absolutely. And then they grow up thinking that they are bad, and that abusive treatment is all they deserve because there is something inherently wrong with them. I have often said that the scars from physical abuse are much easier to heal than the scars from mental and/or emotional abuse.

Yeo, also physical abuse seem be covered lot more than mental abuse and people know about it. I don't think too many know what exactly is mental abuse and what is being just nasty.

If that nastiness is directed specifically at a person, it is abuse.

Back