Childhood Abuse Higher Among the Deaf

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
I came across a couple articles reporting that childhood abuse is higher among the deaf population. So I had to write a blog entry on it.

You can click on the link below to read more and participate in the discussion here or at my blog if you want to. Regardless, I think it's an interesting topic to discuss.

Banjo's World: Childhood Abuse Higher Among the Deaf

Any thoughts?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I think you make a good point about the abuse being passed down by those who were themselves probably abused. Without positive parenting models, that's a strong possibility.

Like you blogged, that's a cycle that needs to be broken.

They didn't need a study. I could have told you that.

No need for a study, but there are many that substantiate this. As well as children with any disability being more vunerable to abuse.

Banjo, two things It doesn't say how maltreatment was defined. That is the abuse could be from peers (kids with all sorts of special needs are horrendously bullied if they are mainstreamed) or by assholes like teachers or coaches taking advantage of kids. Also, you're missing that NTID has a lot of oral and mainstreamed kids. It is not just a "deaf insistution" problem. Heck did you see the thread where we're talking about abusive situtions in oral only schools?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I think you make a good point about the abuse being passed down by those who were themselves probably abused. Without positive parenting models, that's a strong possibility.

Like you blogged, that's a cycle that needs to be broken.

My dad was abused by his father and dad abused me. I am sure there was long line of abused in my dad family. I decided I was going to be the last one and break this horrible patten . My daughter is now able to be a good mother to her daughter because I did NOT abuse her. I am proud that I was able to finally put an end to the abusive cycle that been going on for years

No need for a study, but there are many that substantiate this. As well as children with any disability being more vunerable to abuse.

Of course, but sometimes we need painfully obvious studies to be done so future researches can cite, or seek a grant for further investigations.

Of course, but sometimes we need painfully obvious studies to be done so future researches can cite, or seek a grant for further investigations.

Bingo. As the researchers have pointed out, there aren't much on the deaf population.

My dad was abused by his father and dad abused me. I am sure there was long line of abused in my dad family. I decided I was going to be the last one and break this horrible patten . My daughter is now able to be a good mother to her daughter because I did NOT abuse her. I am proud that I was able to finally put an end to the abusive cycle that been going on for years
:thumb:

Sure. But it is still a concept that has been studied time and time again, so there is already a foundation of research that can be used for replication purposes. I'm not saying that the research is not valuable; I am saying that this is something that is substantiated already, and, as a consequence, those who deal with children with any form of disability should be aware of the increased risk, and be on the lookout for any indication of abuse. "Should" however, is a loaded word. Just because they should be aware does not mean that they are aware. And they won't be aware until concepts like this are fully incorporated into their training and education.

Sure. But it is still a concept that has been studied time and time again, so there is already a foundation of research that can be used for replication purposes. I'm not saying that the research is not valuable; I am saying that this is something that is substantiated already, and, as a consequence, those who deal with children with any form of disability should be aware of the increased risk, and be on the lookout for any indication of abuse. "Should" however, is a loaded word. Just because they should be aware does not mean that they are aware. And they won't be aware until concepts like this are fully incorporated into their training and education.

I have told a doctor when I was a child. He just carried on removing the tumor I got in my arm from being bitten and then sent me home........

I have told a doctor when I was a child. He just carried on removing the tumor I got in my arm from being bitten and then sent me home........

Yet so many of us have scars that we carry for a lifetime. We know we have them, but have difficulty in explaining exactly where they came from. Sigh.

In my work I care for the most vulnerable children; those who cannot communicate, move, or care for themselves. We have include this issue in our training curriculum. Parents often become offended or angry when I do ask questions or teach them ("we don't do that in our home"). I have to let it roll off my back. I'd rather wrongfully evaluate 10 children for potential abuse than miss a single child who was.

In my work I care for the most vulnerable children; those who cannot communicate, move, or care for themselves. We have include this issue in our training curriculum. Parents often become offended or angry when I do ask questions or teach them ("we don't do that in our home"). I have to let it roll off my back. I'd rather wrongfully evaluate 10 children for potential abuse than miss a single child who was.

People just don't understand that there are procedures put in place for the child's protection. Sometimes, parents get too defensive though rather than answering them honestly.

Banjo, two things It doesn't say how maltreatment was defined. That is the abuse could be from peers (kids with all sorts of special needs are horrendously bullied if they are mainstreamed) or by assholes like teachers or coaches taking advantage of kids. Also, you're missing that NTID has a lot of oral and mainstreamed kids. It is not just a "deaf insistution" problem. Heck did you see the thread where we're talking about abusive situtions in oral only schools?

For your information, I didn't say it was just at these schools. However, I'm not going to lie and say that nothing happened there. The topic is about abuse among the deaf children, regardless of where they experience it.

People just don't understand that there are procedures put in place for the child's protection. Sometimes, parents get too defensive though rather than answering them honestly.

very true. Too many people thing that "what you want to hear" is an acceptable substitute for honesty.

very true. Too many people thing that "what you want to hear" is an acceptable substitute for honesty.

Right. I have seen parents who were manipulative and mentally abused their children even while they were in their adulthood and living on their own. People who are manipulative also have a tendency to be pathological liars. So it's somewhat difficult to do something about it if they can't prove it.

Back