Childfree is Now More Acceptable

KarissaMann05

Premium Member
Reaction score
Having It All Without Having Children

One evening when she was 14 years old, Laura Scott was washing dishes in the kitchen with her mother when she decided she didn't want to have a child. At 26, Scott got married and waited for her mind to change. "It never happened," she says. "And I realized I was going to be fine." Now 50, Scott is more than fine: she's fulfilled. And she's not alone. The birthrate in the U.S. is the lowest in recorded American history. From 2007 to 2011, the most recent year for which there's data, the fertility rate declined 9%. A 2010 Pew Research report showed that childlessness has risen across all racial and ethnic groups, adding up to about 1 in 5 American women who end their childbearing years maternity-free, compared with 1 in 10 in the 1970s.

Read more: The Childfree Life - TIME

I think USA probably will have just one child per family in future. While it's nice to see childfree is more acceptable, I think it's kinda weird to not see many children anymore if it happens in future. Hmm...

It seems like China has a policy of 1 child per family. I think that each of us have to make choices. Many people don't want to deal with having child(ren) and raising a family. They may rather be doing other things instead of raising a family. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure that a lot of those people who don't have their own kids have nieces and nephews. They can interact with their nephews and nieces if they want to play with kids.

One other reason of not having kids of their own may be that a family member or 2 may have kids of their own, but for various reasons either within their control or outside their control are not able to raise kids themselves. They get help from siblings or family members to raise their own kids.

Single mothers will take care of children and keep population growing. :aw:

Some couples don't want to have children because they don't want responsibilities and/or don't want to spend money on them. That's their choice.

some poeple dont want to see small kids being suffer in the cruel world. So they decided not to produce a baby too. I know one.

I totally support a person's right (or a couple's right) to choose not to have kids, or to limit to one child.

So what I'm about to say is not a criticism, just something odd that struck me.

If an entire society adopts a one-child limit (either as a new cultural norm, or by law, like in China), after one generation, there will be no more cousins. Wow, weird to think about that. Everyone would have a parent or two, maybe grandparents if they're still alive, but no cousins. Very different from the world I grew up in!

(Again, I am absolutely not arguing with the idea of child-free being acceptable. Just my mind playing with a scenario.)

I always wanted dogs, never wanted kids. Hub and I both planned not to as the marriage went on. Hubby has a sister w/high school age kids in a different part of the state. I don't have any siblings; I was only child of a mom was in her 40's when she found out. They had given up. It was a difficult and un-expected pregnancy.

Plus some people just don't have a passion for kids. It's one of the reasons I don't have one, I wouldn't want to put a child through a father that doesn't care about him/her.

It seems like China has a policy of 1 child per family. I think that each of us have to make choices. Many people don't want to deal with having child(ren) and raising a family. They may rather be doing other things instead of raising a family. There is nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure that a lot of those people who don't have their own kids have nieces and nephews. They can interact with their nephews and nieces if they want to play with kids.

One other reason of not having kids of their own may be that a family member or 2 may have kids of their own, but for various reasons either within their control or outside their control are not able to raise kids themselves. They get help from siblings or family members to raise their own kids.

You did not say 'turbo' one time ,are you feeling alright?

Awww, I found this to be a very, very important post so I kept aside my turbo talk. My turbo talk will resume in a less important post :).

I think USA probably will have just one child per family in future. While it's nice to see childfree is more acceptable, I think it's kinda weird to not see many children anymore if it happens in future. Hmm...

It will never happen in the U.S. Too many stupid people that can't read the instructions on a box of condoms. We also have too many people that want working folks to pay for their growing family while they kick back and watch Oprah. China doesn't have much of a welfare system so there's really no comparison.

Laura

It will never happen in the U.S. Too many stupid people that can't read the instructions on a box of condoms. We also have too many people that want working folks to pay for their growing family while they kick back and watch Oprah. China doesn't have much of a welfare system so there's really no comparison.

Laura

No, I was talked about average of families have children in USA. It is current 2 kids per family. :roll:

I think it's great to see more childfree people because 6 billions are too many.

No, I was talked about average of families have children in USA. It is current 2 kids per family. :roll:

I think it's great to see more childfree people because 6 billions are too many.

Yeah, I agree. Our population is ballooning up year after and year. It would be better to be stable or maybe even go down a little bit.

I went a woman's house once and she and husband had no kids but they had photos of their 2 dogs all over the place and the photos where in nice frames . The woman said dogs where their kids. More people are not getting married today.

huh.... hmmm since when it wasn't viewed as unacceptable? :hmm:

huh.... hmmm since when it wasn't viewed as unacceptable? :hmm:

Maybe she is thinking from the post-WWII times when it was in the cultural norm to have more than 4 children.

Back